Which Five Tens

Home Forum Bike Forum Which Five Tens

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Which Five Tens
  • deano8

Which ones would you recommend for all year use in the uk.
    They are for flat pedals.

FROGLEEK

Freeriders

banks

Sombrio’s – cheaper over at crc

rewski

I’ve always worn shimano am40s, just recently switched to the freerider 5.10, fantastic shoe.

deano8

Banks- had Sombrio’s but came in awful colour (not charcoal) got grief and sold) worked great
    Frogleek, are they going to keep most of the water out during the rainy season? Does your have stitching all the way round the sole?
    Really like the look of the freeriders

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Yeah, my “charcoal” Sombrios are a) the best biking shoes I own but b) manky purple. Thanks Sombrio 🙁

Freeriders are the best of the 5 10s IMO, better in winter than Impacts but still not very good. Great in summer.

Any 5.10s (like pretty much all MTB shoes) suck big time in wet and cold unfortunately. Over the winter I invested in some quality Goretex hi-top lightweight hiking boots with grippy Vibram soles – they work well on my DMR vaults. What you loose in ultimate rubber sticky-ness you gain in everything else. 5.10s great for summer though, just fugging expensive. Are you prepared to bite the two pairs of shoes bullet? 😉

PS – the new Freerider XVi shoes look pretty cool

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Vans Gravels. Better in almost every area than the Freeriders they replaced.

sambob

Teva Links are another option, love mine so far…

Have had Teva links for over a year now, excellent shoes. Just got Gravels, think they might be even better once broken in – they’re not as comfy as the Tevas but I was trailbuilding in them in a marsh at the weekend, came home and was amazed to find them dry inside.

banks

@sambob they’ve seen dirt once 😉

svalgis

I’m getting the new Freerider VXi myself.

deano8

Thanks for all your input:)
    lbs has the teva links too so i will check them out on Friday.

Premier Icon prettygreenparrot
    Subscriber

I’d recommend the Teva Links instead. Not as sticky as the 5-10s but harder wearing, quicker drying and a bit comfier for me than the 5-10 impacts I have.

mikey74

Any 5.10s (like pretty much all MTB shoes) suck big time in wet and cold unfortunately.

No, no they really don’t. I have used 5:10 Karvers for years, in all conditions, and never once had cold or particularly wet feet.

I used to use Freeriders but then switched to Karvers which I find a lot better, having a stiffer sole and more support. More than happy with them through the winter with a pair of sealskinz socks. Just leave them on top of the boiler to dry

Premier Icon simmy
    Subscriber

I’ve got some Five Ten Danny McAskill’s and they have awesome grip on my Vaults, but they were absolutely freezing in the cold weather, even with 2 pairs of socks on.

Regarding being waterproof obviously they can’t compare to Goretex stuff but they are not bad, but when they do get wet they can take ages to dry out.

I wear a pair of Five Ten basics as my everyday footwear, and they are so comfortable and I can nip out on the bike in them as well but they are like a canvas so wouldn’t use them if its wet or muddy out.

06awjudd

Got freeriders, can’t see any reason why you’d go for any others, unless you need the extra grip because your pedals have really short grub screws.

Freeriders here, too.

Agree re the above on wet weather, though. However, in the wet and wintry times, I tend to ride trails that are better ridden clipped in. So, the Freeriders come out when it gets sunny and it’s time to shred the gnat!

FOD on Sunday, for example. Flats. Teh radnezz. 😉

shaggmiester

Sam hills and karvers, the karvers are so much better, and warm and dry in the cold wet winter rides, they do however take a long time to dry but still wouldn’t have anything different.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Teva Links for drying out?

legend

06awjudd – Member
    Got freeriders, can’t see any reason why you’d go for any others, unless you need the extra grip because your pedals have really short grub screws.

Like others have mentioned, they are too soft for me. Even the stiffer Pro/Danny models I find too soft after a while. I prefer Impacts/Sam Hills

If anything freeriders might give slightly more grip as they’ll bend around the pedal a bit more.

j3ffo

Freeriders for me

There is a winterised version of the XVi due later in the year apparently. The sole is even stickier in case you wanted to walk up walls…

rewski

Anyone resoled there am40s with stealth rubber at feetfirst?

FROGLEEK

deano8
    no they do not dry out very easily, i have other shoes for winter but I never wear them, just combine seal skinz or woolie boolies with freeriders and away I go

mulv1976

I have the impact 2 and they are very comfortable and extremely grippy paired with nano pedals. I wouldn’t fancy wearing them when it’s wet tho as the thick padding will suck up water like a sponge.

deano8

Guys great response,
    frogleek- had old sealskins that weren’t great but Mrs Deano killed in a tumble dryer. Are they now better tan those of years ago?
    Front runners are freeriders or teva links

twang

rewski – Member

Not am40’s but I’ve had a pair of walking boots done.
    It is five ten rubber but not the same dotty stealth as the Impacts, its way thicker and stiffer so will stiffen up any shoes considerably – not necessarily a bad thing though

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

rewski, I wouldn’t bother- I really like my AM40s but they’re not brilliant in winter, just better than Five Tens. Not a patch on the Sombrios. And tbh I never really felt there was anything wrong with the sole, tons of grip!

Holyzeus

rewski – Member

£53 inc posting, I think not

chives

Have Teva Links (for a year or so) but bought some Five Ten Spitfire Mid when they were in the CRC sale to see what all the fuss was about.

Have to say the Five Tens grip pedal pins far better than the Links, and they dry out quicker. I’d rather wear the Tevas ‘all day’, but on the bike, the Spitfires are way more secure.

I think it’s just down to the fact that the 5-10’s sole is made up of small diameter vertical-sided knobs, whilst the Links have an inverted pyramid type waffle sole – so any side to side foot movement instantly raises the sole from the pedal slightly. The 5-10’s need a conscious foot-lift in order to re-position..

Superstar Nano pedals, for the record.

Stevelol

I received my Sombrio x-shazams today, much lighter than my impact lows, almost as grippy but you can reposition your feet (which is something I desperately wanted) sole feels as stiff as the impacts, the laces flap is going to keep a lot of moisture out too. Build quality looks solid but time will tell. At the moment I’m cuffed with them. They even look less special needs than the impacts!!

proberts

Had Teva Links which were very comfy, then got some five ten spitfire freeriders which were grippier but not quite as comfy, still a nice shoe though!

Even though this isn’t related at all, I’m selling the Five Ten Spitfire freeriders…..check my profile if interested!!

Cheers, Paul

Impact 2s are fine in the wet, as long as you are not submerging your feet you’ll be ok. they shrug off the puddles i ride thorugh, and no problems with cold or wet, but i do only ride man made trails so can’t comment on natural riding, where the mud and puddles tend to be deeper

fuzzhead

+1 for Vans Gravels rather than Five Tens. Five Ten grip is awesome but the drying time if you get them wet is a pain in the hoop.

deano8

Thanks guys, went for freeriders in the end. Thanks for everyone’s opinions 🙂

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Which Five Tens’ is closed to new replies.