Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which fitted wardrobe with sliding doors?
  • keppoch

I want a new wardrobe with sliding doors. Big fitted thing!

I would like it to fit floor to ceiling and be modern looking, perhaps frosted glass and aluminium doors.

But where to get it from! I am guess this is the sort of thing where there is a fair risk of some yeehaa operators.

I had Sharps bedrooms round a while back. The guy wasn’t really listening and was obsessed with olde worlde features so they are a no but seems to be lots of options.

I am open to having it fitted or doing it myself so long as it can be done with some reasonable DIY skills (blue belt perhaps).

Any advice, recommendations or experience appreciated. I’m in Cardiff.

stumpy01

Google ‘Swan System Sliding Doors’.
    They are based on the South coast & will deliver the bits for a local trader (recommended by them) to install or you can do it yourself.

There is also one called pacific bedrooms that look quite good and slide robes too.

We have been looking into a similar thing recently. We had the Sharps bloke come round and the quote was an absolute joke.

karnali
    Free Member

just looking in to this at present, ikea pax seems ok and the B&Q offerings look very good value and get good reviews.Other than that i’m in the aame boat as you

alanf
    Free Member

Not fitted but IKEA do some which are pretty big and ‘almost’ fill the floor to ceiling space. The gap to the ceiling is about 70mm which is about the least you can get away with to be able to stand it up once constructed.
    They are very adaptable and you can spec them up to have different doors, mirrors, frosted, solid etc and loads of different storage systems inside and different carcasses.
    I looked at a local fitter but they couldn’t provide exactly what I wanted so went with IKEA and I’ve not been disappointed.

Might be an option if the fitted stuff is coming back at ridiculous figures.

It’s the Pax system as mentioned above and you can go on line and build up the system as you would like and it gives you all the parts you need if you decide to order.

stumpy01

I think the IKEA Pax ones are a fixed size; well, a range of sizes.

Bit concerned about installing them myself, as I think that installation is the key to avoiding a rattly, badly functioning system.
    What to put behind them is also an important consideration as it really affects how much you can actually store.

druidh
    Free Member

I managed to fit made-to-measure slidey mirrored doors without any major hassle. Depending on where you are locating it (i.e. if it isn’t wall-to-wall) you may need to build some sort of false wall at one (or both?) but that’s not load bearing so should be a piece of piss.

alanf
    Free Member

Yeah the pax system is fixed sized carcasses, so if you need wall to wall then it’s probably not going to work.
    Just an option if there’s nothing else suitable.
    They build into a sturdy system and bolt to the wall so are anchored too, which is reassuring for such a big thing with a heavy door.

donks
    Free Member

Spaceslide…ones i fitted were pretty easy as long as your floor is level. Ours was out by over 100mm across a 5m distance which meant building a sub floor on top of our floor to take up the difference.

stumpy01

Yeah, sorry alanf, I think our posts crossed…

We’ll be going from a wall at one end to finish just shy of the door into the room. With most of the systems, you can get matching end panels. I think the main thing with the installation is making sure it all goes in flat & square.

alanf
    Free Member

Yeah the pax system is fixed sized carcasses, so if you need wall to wall then it’s probably not going to work.
    Just an option if there’s nothing else suitable.
    They build into a sturdy system and bolt to the wall so are anchored too, which is reassuring for such a big thing with a heavy door.

keppoch

Great ideas, coming back to this and looking gives me a few leads.

Yes the Ikea Pax ones are good, a friend has them but I am wanting the fitted wardrobe to go around a chimney breast so it won’t work here. There will be a clothes wardrobe in the deeper section to the side of the chimney breast and a shallower section for the storage of books and the like in the chimney breast section. Then at the other end of the chimney breast a short section of false wall (presumably a timber frame and plasterboard skin will do that).

Off to look at some of the suggestions now but others welcome.

wheelie

G/F fitted an Ikea one…..had to shorten it a bit for her low ceiling. Looks really good.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which fitted wardrobe with sliding doors?’ is closed to new replies.