Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Which External hard drive
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m after an external hard drive to back up the files on my pc. I know very little about them so any recommendations?

Probably a 1tb one would make sense.

Thanks.

kayak23

This One…

Got good reviews. 1tb… jobs a goodun.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Looks ideal, thanks.

bigG
    Free Member

Or this one. Does what you need, and so much more.

I’m a recent convert, and love it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

mm that looks good too but probably a bit more complicated for my needs. But I do like the idea of being able to back up all the machines in the house – mac, pc and netbook. Then again I have itunes match and apple tv so not sure I need that level of complexity.

is it as easy to use as reviews suggest?

sadexpunk

is that a nas then bigG? not too hot on all this techy stuff…..

would it work with squeezebox software? (logitech media server)

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I use a Western Digital My passport-looks similar to the Samsung one. runs off USB & does auto backup when connected if required.
    A NAS drive is a hard drive that runs it’s own operating system and connects wirelessly or via ethernet. I use a Netgear readynas Duo V2 to run my Squeezebox software & store all my music & Piccy’s on it. No need to fire up a PC when listening to music.

sadexpunk

I use a Western Digital My passport-looks similar to the Samsung one. runs off USB & does auto backup when connected if required.
    A NAS drive is a hard drive that runs it’s own operating system and connects wirelessly or via ethernet. I use a Netgear readynas Duo V2 to run my Squeezebox software & store all my music & Piccy’s on it. No need to fire up a PC when listening to music.

so you use a single HD nas, with squeezebox server, and then use a WD external drive to connect by usb every now and then? drag and drop files to back up, disconnect and stick in a drawer til next time?

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I have a twin disc Nas in RAID 2 which only covers disc failure & I back up to a different hard drive. I only use the Passport to back up my laptop stuff. I’m not sure you could do what you suggest. You may have to connect the Passport to the Laptop/PC, access the NAS drive and drag & drop like that. I must admit what you asked is something I haven’t actually tried. You would still need the PC to access the NAS drive.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve just got one of those Samsung ones kayak23 linked to. Not much to say about it other than that it works, quite happy with it for the price.

Interestingly (or not!) it appears to be actually made by Seagate.

samuri
    Free Member

I have a WD passport which works great now I’ve partitioned it into two halves, one for windows one for MAC.

For two windows PC’s and my MAC I just plug it in and it automatically backs up. Obviously on the MAC its Timemachine doing the work.

sadexpunk

what equipment would you recommend for a ‘squeezebox capable’ nas, and something to back up on? 2 drives in the nas? 1 nas drive and an external? usb connections? network?

ive asked this on the ‘what nas’ thread but no reply lately. just after somewhere central to stick absolutely everything, music, photos, office docs, programs to instal on pcs, films etc. with a back up once each month probably.

cranberry
    Free Member

‘squeezebox capable’

Look at Qnap, perhaps Synology as well, but I only have experience of QNAPs. ( a 219P and a 212 ).

sadexpunk

been looking ta, but everytime i see one i can afford, i see it doesnt come with the HDs :-/

any bargains out there for a full system under £200? whether thats a nas + external drive, or 2-drive nas?

cheers

bigG
    Free Member

is it as easy to use as reviews suggest?

yes. A stumbling buffoon like me found the setup very easy, and it does everything I need.

cranberry
    Free Member

Qnap basic, single drive NAS:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/qnap-ts-112-1x-bay-nas-12ghz-256mb-ddrii-inc-gigabit-lan-2x-usb-1x-esata

+ hard drive:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb-wd-red-wd20efrx-red-sata-6gb-sec-64mb-cache-intellipower-rpm-8ms-ncq-oem-24×7-use

is the cheapest* you will be able to get from Qnap = slightly over your budget.

* I didn’t shop around, just took Scan as an example

Gary_M
    Free Member

Oi sadexpunk get your own squeezebox thread 😀

sadexpunk

sorry gary 🙂 someones answere the other thread now, so ill hop over to that one now 🙂

oh, and thanks cranberry, ill go look at those now.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Age just as well 😆

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Which External hard drive’ is closed to new replies.