Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Which Dropper seatpost????
  • fishman
    Free Member

Im considering a dropper seatpost for my Heckler..
    Looking for advice on what to choose?
    Reverb/KS, etc…..
    thankyou for any help!!!

tmb467
    Free Member

And more to the point – which ones provide any kind of layback?

cp

Issue 87 has a group test.

Don’t think any have any real lay back. Think the Thomson has a couple of mm but that’s it.

Northwind

KS have some options with layback. Decent posts too.

wilko1999
    Free Member

KS Dropzone has about 20mm layback, one of the reasons I bought it. 1year old now and still performing perfectly, very happy with it, especially as it was only £115

tmb467
    Free Member

Cheers – and sorry for the thread hi-jack

slowrider
    Free Member

Reverb, hands down

Layback on a dropper post isn’t a great idea IMO, your weight will force the stanchion in to the post at an angle and wear the seals and stanchion faster.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Currently heading to the States soon and thinking of bringing one home, but at a quandry which one also, some real world reviews would be great as opposed to the mag marketing hype of a couple of days round a dry trail centre. At the minute I like the the fox doss and its just £200 in USA.

Northwind

slowrider – Member

Layback on a dropper post isn’t a great idea IMO, your weight will force the stanchion in to the post at an angle and wear the seals and stanchion faster.

Nope. Or at least, not in a way that’s noticable after 3 years of constant year-round use.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve got two reverbs one Ks lev and a fox doss. the Ks lev wins easily in my year odd of using all three.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve had my Reverb for over a year now and can’t fault it at all.

I really like the lever placement when run under the bars and it’s action is really good I think.

fudge9202
    Free Member

fd3chris what do you think of the fox doss?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

More than happy with the KS posts I’ve had, ran an i7? (KS 27.2 jobby) for years without a hitch, stripped it once and it was mint inside.

Then got a Dropzone, still happy.

My frame only has bits for a cable dropper, not a hydraulic one or Id probably have got a reverb.

fd3chris
    Free Member

The doss is very well built, if not over built. The action is smooth if a little fast on the return. The lever is large as most reviews state but I really like the dual lever set up and the size of it is excellent if you have big hands or are wearing gloves. Overall it’s a quality bit of kit.

bugcab
    Free Member

+1 for Reverb as reliable and great to use (but not used others).

fudge9202
    Free Member

Cheers fd3chris will probably go for the doss can pick one up in the states for £200

fd3chris
    Free Member

That’s where I got mine from. You won’t be disappointed.

tmb467
    Free Member

Doubt that your weight will damage a dropper post as mentioned above

Weight is only fully on the post when you’re sat on it – any other time it’s moving or out of the way.

Stanchions and seals don’t take the weight – the spring does.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I have had my Thomson for 4 months now and its awesome. Smooth action and practically zero play. Thomson quality of finish is (and always has been) the standard by which others are measured. Not that cheap but worth it in my book.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some pro’s and Cons
    Reverb (missus owns)
    Pro’s
    Longer history and seem to have fixed the early faults that saw a large number of returns.
    Option for Internal routing if frame allows
    Lever seems to be able to be bled by chimps
    matches with MMX shifters for neatness

Cons
    Still see failures
    External hose routes to the saddle end and has to move – hoses kink (death) and hoses interface with the back wheel

Fox (observed not tried)
    Pro’s
    Made by Fox
    Cons
    Made by fox
    3 positions
    Lever big enough to steer oil tankers

KS Lev (owned)
    Pro’s
    Solid
    Reliable
    Cable entry at seat clamp
    Nice lever matches with ODI grips

Cons
    Not sure on long term reliability heard some issues (less than with reverbs though)

Anything else, read the reviews in the mag but they didn’t seem to equate to the final judgement (like most mag reviews)

Personally it’s between the reverb and KS for me, 3 positions is limiting, thompson have not had a good winter run yet to test it properly and fox hasn’t had the volume or the time for a proper reliability test either.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

DOSS, only post that the germans couldn’t break.
    Lever in place of your front shifter and you’re good to go – endurotastic

br
    Free Member

Currently heading to the States soon and thinking of bringing one home, but at a quandry which one also, some real world reviews would be great as opposed to the mag marketing hype of a couple of days round a dry trail centre. At the minute I like the the fox doss and its just £200 in USA.

Based on the number of Dropper Post issues I wouldn’t be buying one from anyone else except a UK-based retailer.

fishman
    Free Member

Thanks for helping out , think I’ll go with the reverb.
    Now I need to find one at a good price…….

Chris.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Chris reverb at wiggle £170ish

fishman
    Free Member

Fudge,, thanks for the heads up.

Chris.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Which Dropper seatpost????’ is closed to new replies.