• This topic has 48 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Duc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • which dog food?
  • HansRey

sorry for the lack of bike chat>..

My dog is rejoining me in the UK on the weekend. I’ve no idea about which brands of dog food to avoid/ choose.

She’s a 35kg Swiss Shepherd. Any recommendations?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

We use James Wellbeloved. Dry food and our Border Terrier has never had any issues with it.

km79
    Free Member

+1 James Wellbeloved

Teetosugars
    Free Member

We use Harringtons.
    It’s a dry food, but we add fresh veggies in with it..

mattbee

We use Iams as our vet recommended it (they don’t sell it so I trusted the recommendation a little more)

mefty
    Free Member

Skinners Field and Trial

falkirk-mark

Tescos own make

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Avoid anything with wheat in it.

Lily’s kitchen is popular with my two.

PePPeR

Take your budget, find the best food in your price range.

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory

ThePilot
    Free Member

Mine gets raw food which includes bone, meat, organs, fruit and vegetables. Maybe some herbs too. She also gets meaty bones to gnaw on which helps keep her busy (she’s a terrier) as well as helping keeping her teeth clean. Seems to do well on it. I’ve never seen a tail wag more than it does when she’s about to get a couple of lamb ribs 🙂
    I get it from here:
    https://honeysrealdogfood.com/

Happy dog reunion btw 🙂

GolfChick
    Free Member

I highly recommend using pet forums dog food section where a lovely lady called Rona categorises all dry and wet dog food into categories of quality along with price per portion. I stick to amber and what I am prepared to pay which works out the be burgess sensitive lamb and rice. This will differ for your budget etc.

welshfarmer

Dr Johns Silver. £11 a bag now for 15 kilos I think. It is all the sheepdogs ever eat (apart from afterbirth at this time of year and a few bits of dead/rotton stuff whenever they can find it). And they all live to be well over 13 without so much as a vet visit and usually die in their sleep. You can pay a lot more. But I don’t know why you would?

sharkbait
    Free Member

James Wellbeloved here also…. damn expensive but our cocker is in rude health and looks great.

Drac

We use James Wellbeloved. Dry food and our Border Terrier has never had any issues with it.

Exactly that.

Sandwich

One of the non-wheat or gluten CSJ feeds. They operate through select local suppliers and you’ll need to use their website to find your nearest one. Ours is an older lady with a garage full of dog food.

cinnamon_girl

We need pics obviously!

shortyj15

Basic working dog food from agricultural suppliers. All this processed dog food causes bad teeth and health issues. Our collies never have any major issues or teeth issues.

jolmes
    Free Member

Our old English is on raw food, mix of meat, bones, offal and veg. Has been for a year now and still loves it. Got bored of kibble real fast and she never settled with it, love carrots and broccoli though…

bodgy
    Free Member

+1 James Wellbeloved complete dry food, adult. , Dry in the morning, dry with a bit of wet and a sprinkle of ‘Joint Aid’ granules in the evening (they are getting on a bit).

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I’ve only ever tried IAMS. It was fine. A bit grainy and kept repeating on me. A bet’s a bet though.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I get the raw Natural Instinct stuff from a place round the back of my works.

Dogs love it and it reminds me of mincemeat in an ice cream tub.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Burns dry food.

As others have said, avoid anything with wheat in it.

Bimbler
    Free Member
    HansRey

thanks for the advice folks. I was looking for some higher protein content food.

Does anybody order from the internet and get it delivered?

As for pics, see below.

Rob_S
    Free Member

Whatever you decide check the label and make sure the list of ingredients adds up to 100% (same with the list of analytical constituents). If it doesn’t (I’ve just checked one of the better quality foods, mentioned by a number of posters on here, and it the ingredients only add up to 68%) then you can only speculate what the missing ingredients are. These missing ingredients are ones that can be changed without you knowing, so you can find something your dog has been happy and healthy on for months can suddenly upset your dog and it no longer wants to eat it or worse the new unlisted ingredients cause health problems for your dog, usually itchy skin or a rash which can involve numerous expensive trips to the vets to try and determine the source of the problem which you can never pin down to the food as the ingredient which is the culprit is not listed.
    Also try to keep away from foods that have a lot of E numbers in their additives list.
    If you’re having trouble sleeping and want something to read you could check out the pet food legislation http://www.pfma.org.uk/uk-pet-food-legislation

Beware forums (everyone believes they are feeding their dog the best food) and pet food comparison sites (which often have hidden backing from manufacturers so are not totally unbiased).

Best advice I can offer is check the labels first and once you’ve found a food where all ingredients are listed, that your dog enjoys and is healthy on, and that you find affordable, stick with it!

Drac
    the-muffin-man

Whichever makes your dog fart the least!

Harringtons was like putting my dog on a vegan diet with lots and lots of beans. The gases could have killed us if we’d continued with it.

HansRey
    Sundayjumper

Kirkland dry food from Costco. Our Akita had quite a sensitive stomach and most other foods gave him the runs.

Scapegoat

My lab eats raw beef and green tripe, with a bit of fruit or rice mixed in, and occasionally some carrot. The green tripe means she gets digestible greens. She also gets a few meaty lamb ribs to keep her and her teeth in good shape. We have the raw meat delivered in 3lb bags at £1.50 each and she goes through one in a couple of days.

One of the real advantages is the poop. Her stools are firm, not very big and not particularly foul. They pick up really easily. Compared with some dogs fed on kibble I know which I’d rather deal with.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Our two get Natural Instinct raw meat and duck necks/lamb ribs/etc – wouldn’t have them on anything else, ever. Theirs are the only dogs on the yard (out of 8 ) whose stools don’t stink to high heaven, and everyone always comments on how fit and healthy they look. No bad breath or dental issues on either. We switch between the chicken (usual), the turkey (leaner, if they need to slim down) and the duck (higher fat if they’re getting more exercise and dropping weight).

benp1

My two labs are both on Arden Grange Large Breed

Junior is on puppy food still, but they’ll be moving to the same food when the time is right

Seems to suit them, don’t mind paying for something that I know works well for them. Their coats are so shiny that taking photos are a nightmare (shiny black dog), they don’t get baths, just a cold hose after a muddy walk

Mind you, they don’t seem to mind eating all sorts of other available crap when they find it

eyestwice
    Free Member

Millie’s Wolfheart here too for our lab and boxer. Order in bulk online, quick delivery.

They have a range of wet/dry options with differing protein/fat/carbohydrate ratios. Good, natural food.

spursn17
    Free Member

We feed our dog on Lidl’s Orlando dried food, about 7 quid a sack.

The vet always say that she is in great condition for an 11 year old dog.

Drac

The vet always say that she is in great condition for an 11 year old dog.

But she’s only 4. 😆

joolsburger
    Free Member

I feed mine Markus Muhle cold pressed + whatever meat is in the bargain bin at the supermarket. This week it’s been beef heart, but turkey mince, beef kidneys, chicken livers all go for peanuts at Tesco

piha
    Free Member

Mine (40kg) gets a mixture of Naturediet wet food mixed with Arden Grange or Science Plan kibble (for sensitive tums). He has been diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease and seems to cope well with these foods. If his IBD flares up, I change to Natural Instinct raw food for a few days and that seems to calm his stomach. Vet is happy with the results and dog loves his food.

Suede says hullo to the bear.

chestrockwell

We gave our Lab Welbeloved for years as it was the only decent one that kept her chod in order. Always bought the 15kg bags when on offer but the offers seemed to be getting fewer and less generous.

Tried her on the Harrigtons stuff as we had to get an emergency bag from the Supermarket and found that she enjoyed it at least as much and although not quite as good at producing neat bobs it isn’t too bad. She seems as healthy and full of energy as ever. The fact it’s half the price of Welbeloved and can be bought from either of the big supermarkets in town mean she’s stayed on it.

dashed
    Free Member

mefty – Member
    Skinners Field and Trial

We used to use this for years (for my 2 dogs and also my parents for their 4) and pretty sure it was the cause of bad teeth in all the dogs. It seems to have a sticky molasses coating and since moving away from it our dogs teeth have improved (or rather stayed clean after they had a scale and polish!). I now use Purina Proplan for my young lab and she’s great on it – my BIL is a vet and that’s what he feeds his 2 on. The older dog is on Arden Grange senior as she’s a fussy old sod, but loves it.

@HansRey – we use Berrywood for our dogfood deliveries. Very reliable, quick delivery (even when you don’t pay for next day, often arrives next day). Very convenient.

cinnamon_girl

A fine looking dog indeed! Thanks for posting pics. 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘which dog food?’ is closed to new replies.