Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Which disposable contact lenses for riding?
  • enfht
    Free Member

Not long been using contacts but so far I’m very pleased with how much difference they’ve made when riding compared to my crappy prescription inserts.

I went with Accuvue Moist because I assumed that riding will dry the lenses out faster, but I’m curious which other disposable lenses people use when riding?.

Should I just go for for the cheapest I can find or is there a benefit using moist versions or even different brands?

My prescription is only -1.25 with a slight astigmatism if that makes a difference

Thanks

mr_mills
    Free Member

I used to use these:-

http://www.lenstore.co.uk/ciba-vision/daily-disposables/dailies-aqua-comfort-plus_p5

I only used them on days when I was riding and had no problems with them.

I say “used to” because my eyes now seemed to have fixed themselves (my prescription was only -0.5 / -0.75 anyway).

enfht
    Free Member

Cheers, the daillies look to be about the same price

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

I use those Accuvue too, and have only just started. Work fine but i’m not that good at getting them in yet!

enfht
    Free Member

It took me the entire first pack (30) to get the knack! 🙂

dst
    Free Member

I use daysoftcontactlenses.com for daily disposables

remarkably cheap and I get on with them OK

samuri
    Free Member

Accuvue Dailies for me, work pretty well and I’m a blind gimp. I only use mine for riding, swimming or when I’m out on the pull.

OK, only for riding then.

Esme
    Free Member

Don’t forget to wear sunglasses or protective glasses as well. They’ll help stop your contacts drying out, and keep mud out of your eyes

Still worth wearing contacts though, especially in the rain

nickc

I use regular contact lenses, never experienced any drying out though. In fact if anything my eyes water more when I’m cycling. Only once in 10-15years of cycling had to remove one, and put it back in.

enfht
    Free Member

+1 agreed, I still wear my riding glasses, and carry some of these incase I get grit in my eye

nickc

did you regularly get grit in your eye before you wore conatcts?

rondo101
    Free Member

I wear contacts for 16hrs a day, 7 days a week. Was using Accuvue Moist, but still found my eyes occasionally dried out under the aircon at work, especially if I was tired. Switched to Accuvue Oasys & no problems with drying out. Added advantage of being able to sleep in them should I need to (camping, festivals, sunday evening on the sofa).

Never had trouble with either type drying out whilst on the bike though.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

I use Ciba Vision aqua comfort plus dailies.

duffle
    Free Member

daysoftcontactlenses.com +1

They do a 72% moisture content which were comfier than the normal 58%.
    The last time I ordered I think it was something £12 for 32 pairs not to mention the reduced packaging compared to the ‘big’ brands

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Cheap, cheerful and brilliant customer service. Normally next day delivery too

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

wow, that’s a good price! (trots off to check)

Woody
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with daysoft. I’ve been using them for 6 months and they are comfier, less hassle (no cleaning) and I’ve saved at least £80 as well 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The ones that fit and make your vision better 🙂

I’ve tried a few brands and I always struggle with the astigmatism in the left eye. I’ve had plenty of “lens wobble” incidents when going fast. I’ve got some Acuvue Moist astigmatic ones to try now but not had a full day out in them yet. I hope they’re better than others I’ve tried.

Only you will know the answer to this when you try some out, but it’s good to see some suggestions above that my optician hasn’t suggested yet.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

They’re a *third* of the price of the Acuvue Moist I was using before and I actually find them more comfortable (and the packaging is way better).

They’re larger (cover more of the eye) than some other brands which is not as good for your eyes but I think contributes to them staying in better. I’d been having increasing trouble with my Acuvue Moist and speaking to an optician about it you’re actually better of with *lower* moisture lenses for riding – they dry out less….

mikeyd
    Free Member

I ‘upgraded’ to acuvue trueye from moist, they are very good – I accidentally put an old moist pair in a few weeks ago and it felt like there was something in my eye (trueye I don’t even notice for 15+hrs a day)

Esme
    Free Member

Oh, and contacts are brilliant for preventing itchy eyes in the hayfever season 😀

headfirst
    Free Member

another vote for daysoft, at least three years use here, they’re the cheapest and best I’ve used

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Which disposable contact lenses for riding?’ is closed to new replies.