Which degreaser?

Home Forum Bike Forum Which degreaser?

• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 4 days ago by  dannyh.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which degreaser?
  • I want to buy a 5 litre bottle of degreaser. Have seen Gunk Ultra at £10 and Rhino Goo at £15. Which is better and any other suggestions?

daern

I use the Screwfix bargain basement stuff:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-heavy-duty-degreaser-5ltr/88668

£8.99 / 5 litres and seems to get the chain clean with little fuss

Premier Icon nwmlarge
    Subscriber

Screwfix, all the way.

Rhino goo is the same as Muc-off.

Thanks for that, didn’t realise Screwfix would sell that.

Premier Icon timoth27
    Subscriber

Yep I’ve just bought some Screwfix stuff on recommendation over on retrobike

Screwfix stuff has a ph of 12. Don’t leave it long on anodized aluminium, it will strip it in minutes.

coatesy

Jizer’s a favourite of mine (smells far nicer than Gunk, too), though none i’ve used will shift chain waxes if that’s one of your targets, white spirit’s good for that job.

Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

Always use Jizer. Have done for the last 30 years. Just had to buy another can, serves me right for giving some away over the years.

Premier Icon crashrash
    Subscriber

I reckon white spirit is best to get the chain clean. Then the Widers and Sodstrom chain lube.

oreetmon

I soak chains in white spirit and mix white spirit with fairy liquid type soap to clean rings with a brush.

after soaking the chain I keep the WS in a jar and the gunk eventually sinks to the bottom so most of it can be used again

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Jizer will shift wax, but it needs a soak. I’ll often just drop the chain in an oasis bottle with jizer in. Give it a shake each time I walk past.

Pour that into another bottle, rinse chain, job done. A few days later, all the dirt and wax has settled to the bottom. Careful pour the clean stuff into the other bottle and reuse. No wonder a 5l tin lasts so long.

continuity

-> Ebay

-> “Traffic Film Remover”

-> 10L (100:1)

-> Dilute into your spray.

Probably slowly dissolving my bike but there’s **** all it won’t take off.

If you need a deep clean, strip chain / cassette and put into white spirit.

tonyplym

Jizer Bio has an appetite for anodizing – did a very good job of turning a black Hope hub into a not-so-black one 🙁   – although it must be said that it was also a pretty good degreaser too.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Jizer bio isn’t great for seals either. The original is better, for cleaning the bike anyway.

dannyh

Currently getting good results using this stuff carefully.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/all-purpose-cleaners/sainsburys-all-purpose-cleaning-spray–citrus-500ml

Long term, I guess we’ll see, but the chain and gear teeth are coming up like new pins.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.