Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Which cycling membership?
  • benp1

I asked this a while back but there was no clear consensus and the thread is too old to reopen

I currently have British Cycling membership, it’s about to run out. I only really buy it for the 3rd party insurance (I commute by bike) and the discounts. Pricing seems fairly similar.

BC have 10% off at halfords and CRC

CUK have 10% off at halfords and 15% off at cotswold/snow and rock

LCC have 10% off my my LBS and Evans. They also have an offer on of a pair of 25c duranos (which I don’t need) or a 25% off first time members

Any obvious favourites from you guys? Any offers I’m missing out on? One of them was offering a free front or rear light but can’t remember who that was

Other benefits are of secondary importance

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have a full CUK membership for the insurance, legal backup and because I hope they will campaign for cycling in a way I will benefit from.  I also get some discounts.

I have the minimum membership of British Cycling because it pays for itself in CRC discount

Once I’d racked up 25 years of CUK membership, they sent me a nice enamelled “winged wheel” CTC badge. That’s gotta be worth the wait.

Rubber_Buccaneer

sent me a nice enamelled “winged wheel” CTC badge

and changed their name shortly after? 🙂

SaxonRider

The 15% off at cotswold/snow and rock doesn’t seem like much considering their regular retail prices are about 80% higher than anyone else’s in the first place!

In answer to the OP, though, I have BC, and look to Sustrans for broader campaigning around transport, because it seems to include a more holistic consideration of cycling.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

LCC discounts now include Cotswold/S&R, Howies, Milltag and Finnesterre amongst others

Personally I think LCC are the only group campaigning consistently for the type of infrastructure that will make a difference and if you’re in London you should be a member. CTC do some great work and do campaign on off road access issues.  If you’re outside London that’s the obvious choice.

Sustrans are effectively a “for pay” consulting firm and put their name to so much crap I wouldn’t give them any of my money.  The National Cycle Network is a case in point – so much crap marked up to hit a target and allow PR with no quality control (supposedly they’re going to do an audit of the network but I bet they won’t do it properly – it needs, by the mile , 1) Graded Red/Amber/Green for suitability for each of Road Bikes, CX/Gravel Bikes, MTBs, 2) The surface for that mile identified 3) The state of repair / rideability graded. All this info need to be on Sustrans maps page.

benp1

Thanks folks, I’ve just signed up with LCC

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Which cycling membership?’ is closed to new replies.