which country you like to live in?

Home Forum Chat Forum which country you like to live in?

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • which country you like to live in?
  • Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

The US is problematic. Trail access isn’t great, you’re lucky if you don’t have to drive somewhere to ride. Health insurance is a disgrace too, it’s not just a case of insured or not – most people have limits on what’s covered, and a maximum value.

If you’re minted of course then it’s not so bad, you can buy your holiday home near the federal or state lands and ride away, but I’m not sure I’d like being part of a rich community of second homers in some outdoor recreation hotspot. Places like California can also be very very busy.

I lived for a while near the German Alps, and whilst pretty they weren’t that great for biking, nothing like France. Even the road biking wasn’t so good until you got to Austria – the mountains don’t seem to have passes quite like the French Alps. Also not sure about trail access – I seem to recall there being a rule about only riding on fire-roads, but not sure how well enforced it is.

samuri

Colorado would be great as well.

When I worked in Denver we got an interesting insight into how they treat the outdoors. All week everyone works away in the city, come Friday afternoon there’s this mass exodus out to the mountains. Everyone gets on the Freeway and heads upwards. As molgrips says though, this is probably just for the rich.

All week everyone works away in the city, come Friday afternoon there’s this mass exodus out to the mountains.

So, so true. When we went boarding to Colorado, we spent Mon-Fri on the mountain and Sat-Sun, resting, shopping, cinema, generally doing anything other than go near the slopes. Worked out well for a couple of weeks.

perthmtb

If I could have a home with a garden and view, then Hong Kong, friendly locals, great food and some amazing trails

You mean something like this home with a garden…

And with this view…

I do miss my house in Hong Kong sometimes, but then I remember why I moved to Australia 😀

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

I seem to recall there being a rule about only riding on fire-roads, but not sure how well enforced it is.

depends on which german land or country you’re in. Plus in many cases it’s a made up rule. 2m track is generally accepted as equivalent to a bridleway or BOAT etc. in UK

In Hessen, the rule is… “If there’s a path put there by the landowner or whomever manages the land, then it’s free to use by anyone on foot, wheelchair or bike, and that all users must give priority in a sensible manner” (so much like Scotland).

Where would I want to live… anywhere in Europe will do. Or Canada.

surlynot

Slovenia.

8)

tiggs121

French Pyrenees – got it all.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

depends on which german land or country you’re in

Fair play, I was in Bavaria. I seem to remember hearing a similar 2m rule.. but what singletrack is 2m or more wide?

athgray

New Zealand. South Island in particular. Like Scotland but on a larger scale. Friendly people.
    South of France. Good wine, food, climate and access to the Alps.

Premier Icon darrell
    Subscriber

I live in Norway and aint thinking of moving

JulianA

Belgium (Gent for preference, or perhaps the Ardennes) or Greece (specifically Western Crete or the Peloponnese)

alpin

@ molgrips… not Bavaria. they have the 2m rule in the Black Forest, but realistically no-one adheres to it. and you simply didn’t get out enough! loads of top trails south of Munich…. yes, there aren’t many lung busting road climbs; for that you need to go to Allgäu (south west) or to Bertechsgarden (south east), but then again, isn’t road riding what you do when you need to get somewhere? 😉

for me it would be South Tirol, perhaps around Meran or in the Vinschgau valley. the laid back attitude of italy combined with the fact that they’re not corrupt and everything works (that would be the german influence, then). brilliant weather – 315 sunshine days in Vinschgau! winters in the valley are short yet there are 3000m peaks so plenty of snow sports, but you can still ride your bike up to around 1000m (Meran lies at 350m).

strong economy, too….

Süd Tirol ist nicht Italien!

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

^^ woudln’t say no to Vinschgau or Karwendel for that matter.

Süd Tirol is ace in winter. Youtube vids make it look busy ni summer though. But looks like the top Via Ferrata destination. Will put that on my list too.

Iceland sounds like a fun place to live for a while.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

and you simply didn’t get out enough!

Tell me about that! Those two rides were just about the only two proper good days I had there 🙂

As for the road riding – well you do have a point except for big mountain stuff, which is pretty classic I reckon. Berteschgaden was great, it looked a lot more like the French Alps I’m used to, so I can well imagine there’d be good road passes there.

Northern Italy, Lakes, Mountains, Coffee, Food, Ice cream, Coffee, Food, Ice cream.

Then move back to the UK so the NHS can be burdened with my Obesity related illnesses 🙂

I can put a stone on in two weeks with my Italian friends cooking. Living there would kill me.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

When (not if) I win the lottery, I’ll split the summer between Whistler and the French Alps and winter in southern Cali.

Might pop back to Blighty for a bank holiday once a year….

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘which country you like to live in?’ is closed to new replies.