Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Which Cloud based back-up?
  • Leku
    Free Member

I’m currently using Mozy to back up my work folder (self employed so really important it stays working) on an iMac (plus I have an external wireless hard-drive backing up as well with Time Machine).

My plan is up for renewal at $110 for 125 GB a year.

Are there better options? It needs to back up certain folders automatically.

Thanks

lucien

We use Google Aps / Google Drive at work – £1.95 per user, per month, 25gb storage free – pay for more if needed. Syncs when I’m on any network and keeps a copy on my Laptop when I’m away. Can also see it on my phone, tablet, web enabled browser and still use Outlook for my laptop. Awesome bit of software / engineering IMHO.

Markie
    Free Member

I’d recommend (and myself use) crashplan + at US$60 per year…

http://Www.crashplan.com

If I didn’t use this I’d use backblaze, and I’m sure I’d be just as happy – and just as well protected!

http://Www.backblaze.com

33tango

Why not buy a physical disk and back up to it once a fortnight . Then keep that disc at the inlaws? It always nice to see the inlawss 🙂

marthall
    Free Member

I can really recommend DropBox… especially on a Mac. I use it to not only back-up but sync between machines. It’s stupid fast and rock solid.

stabilizers

+1 for CrashPlan

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

If you have a website located on a webhost then use their storage with Owncloud. Your data under your control.

Leku
    Free Member

Why not buy a physical disk and back up to it once a fortnight . Then keep that disc at the inlaws? It always nice to see the inlawss

I live in Bristol. My Inlaws live in Bilbao.. Already have an external drive but need a ‘house burns down’ solution.

CrashPlan looks good.

dh
    Free Member

£3 pm – unlimited.

livedrive

mikewsmith
    Free Member

33tango – Member
    Why not buy a physical disk and back up to it once a fortnight . Then keep that disc at the inlaws? It always nice to see the inlawss

Yay 2 weeks or work lost!!

I use dropbox & google drive here.

Both work very well, I just rebuilt my laptop, switched on Drive & Dropbox last night and now I have all my files back. The best bit is I save something on the laptop in the living room then go and start editing it in the office.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If it really is for backup, and not just to use as a cloud based drive that you want to use like Dropbox, then can recommend using Arq with Amazon S3. I use TimeMachine locally and the cloud incremental backup is for proper disaster recovery. It’s really cheap if you use their Glacier storage, which is fine for the way I use it.

Edit: google drive and Dropbox, it really isn’t a backup solution.

samuri
    Free Member

Google drive and dropbox here too.

I also backup my home mac and work laptop on a two week cyclical basis to an encrypted hard drive.

nickjb
    Free Member

Another happy dropbox user. A copy on both PCs and one in the cloud which has previous versions. I just use the free account, about 18Gb for me so not enough for photos, they are just kept locally on a USB and a network drive.

footflaps

I use Dropbox at home and work. Sync my work machine to it, so everything is backed up as I work. If you delete or over-write a file, you can go back and restore previous versions. Also means I can access any work file from any device anywhere e.g. iPhone in a meeting with a client etc…

thecaptain
    Free Member

There are alternatives to dropbox, such as copy, which offers a lot more space for free. It’s not as smooth in general use IME (I use dropbox to synchronise files across computers, rapid updating is important) but would probably be ok for a ~weekly backup.

nickjb
    Free Member

There are alternatives to dropbox, such as copy, which offers a lot more space for free

It says 15Gb on the website. Can you get extra like you do with dropbox for jumping through hoops? My free dropbox is 19.88Gb

Edit: I said 18 above but I just checked

thecaptain
    Free Member

+5GB per ref for copy, and since no-one uses it…

But it doesn’t integrate so well (eg iphone apps).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have a few rules for how complex a backup can be.
    1) I don’t need to press anything
    2) It will happen if the PC is on at some point
    3) It requires no effort

If it doesn’t hit all 3 then it won’t get done.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Tried talking to your ISP? Mine, Virgin Media, does unlimited storage certain packages. Not idea, but could be a cheap stop gap.

footflaps

If it doesn’t hit all 3 then it won’t get done.

If you set Dropbox up to backup whatever folders you work with, then it will meet all three. It syncs as you work, so as long as you have an internet connection, it’s syncing….

mr_average
    Free Member

Why bother? I’m sure GCHQ have a copy of everything on their servers.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I use back blaze, had tried dropbox but it required me duplicating my folders

huggis
    Free Member

I recommend using various cloud services to back up different types of media. Eg Dropbox for documents, iTunes Match for audio and Picasa (Google photos) for, well, photos.

This also gives access to all your stuff remotely on any device at any time. Other than that just keep a backup HDD or stick of software etc.

Nick

Just thought I’d better start backing stuff up, currently CrashPlan is saying 83.8 days remaining 😯

Markie
    Free Member

Just thought I’d better start backing stuff up, currently CrashPlan is saying 83.8 days remaining

I remember those days! I don’t think it took as long as they said it would, FWIW…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Which Cloud based back-up?’ is closed to new replies.