• This topic has 22 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by lunge.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Which clipless pedals do I need for my lad?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Looks like the racing bug continues and he now wants to clip in as when pedalling over the flatter but rutty or bumpy section sections he feels he loses some pedal/shoe contact. I’ve managed to pick up a great priced pair of 5,10 hellcats so now need some pedals. Racing will always be either enduro or downhill type but never xc.
    Cheaper the better as I’m not sure it will last.
    As an aside I have no idea how they work or how they adjust etc.

Tracey

Our daughter tried a few before she settled on the DMR V Twins. She likes the idea of a pinned platform just in case.
    Out of interest what size foot is he.
    I tried hers in Finale for a day before deciding there were better ways to kill myself

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

TIME, used them for decades on and off and still have reasonably good knees at 50.  Pretty bulletproof (old ones lasted for ages, the newer seem a bit cheaper bearing wise).  Loads of float and mud tolerance, easy to clip in and release, the only negative is the cleats are brass so wear quicker.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tjagain

Basic cheap shimano ones. Someone on here will probably sell you some cheap!

Personally I dislike clipless pedals with a platform – hard to clip into and pedals with clipless one side and a platform the other are always the wrong way up

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-m520-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod3759

wrightyson
    Free Member

So is the big platform not really a requirement? Are the shoes capable of spreading the load? Like I say I’m not a user so have no idea.

Hes a size 9.5 at the moment so I ordered 10.5 in the hellcats.

mrb123
    Free Member

Shimano 520s as mentioned above. They are what I and probably loads of others on this forum started on.

Tracey

Its all down to personal choice.
    If hes wanting them for DH and Enduro they also need to be strong enough to take the hits.
    Have a look at his next event and see what the top riders who clip in are using. They will probably let him try them. I know we would.
    If he doesn’t use a platform type and unclips for what ever reason on a stage and can’t get clipped back in then a few seconds lost can mean alot of places down the list.
    Abigale once raced at Kinlochleven in a EWS qualifier. It had snowed overnight and was freezing for the race. Halfway round she had to rely on the platforms as the rest had frozen solid.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Given your requirements I’d listen to Tracey ahead of those suggesting XC clipless pedals. And maybe check this review https://enduro-mtb.com/en/best-clipless-mtb-pedals/

tjagain

wrightyson – the shoes spread the load fine – but Tracy / rubber buccaneer may well have a point. As a confirmed mincer I would not know but the 520s are a very cheap way to get into clipless

TiRed

M324 so he can ride clipless and still go off with his mates with trainers. And be used them off road for years. Great pedals. And cheap.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

My bow legs and knees love the float on my 2006 Time ATACs (XS Carbon), as I found mid summer cleat alignment is far more critical for me on XPro 10 road pedals.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Real luddite question now, do I need to buy cleats as an extra or will they come with the shoes or the pedals?

happybiker
    Free Member

That come with the pedals (when new), never the shoes.

jonwe
    Free Member

Shimano 520 or 540. Do the job. Adjustable spring tension so he can get out easily if he needs to. I’ve been running them or their predecessors for 10-15 years on the fleet and they never break or wear out. They’ve hit numerous stationary objects at speed – logs, rocks, me, tarmac and they just keep going even if I don’t.

pothead
    Free Member

Crank brothers mallet dh if you can find them on sale, last pair cost around £65 a few years ago so should be some bargains around at this time of year

wrightyson
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll get looking. Santas sack is literally full of bike goodies this year!

cookeaa

Shimano M424:

null

Cheaper and lighter than shimano’s other trail and DH type spds and very robust.

I use them on a couple of bikes with both trainer and stiffer XC type shoes, they’re pretty versatile and the resin cage works well enough.
    They’re tough enough that it’s probably worth considering a used pair if you want to save some pennies and don’t think he’s going to be into them for long.

andykentos
    Free Member

If he is racing DH and enduro he needs something with a larger platform for when cant get clipped back in time before riding a hard section, on a XC pedal it will feel like he is just standing on the axle of the pedal if he is not properly clipped in.

joebristol

I’d go either something with a platform in case he flips out and can’t immediately get clipped back in.

The Nukeproof Horizon CL clipless pedals and pretty good with the right shoes. With xc shimano shoes they were difficult to clip into, but with more flat style shoes they’re amazing (I’m using shimano am7’s with mine). Definitely help you keep your feet on easier through rough stuff and not scary to get out of as they unclick easily.

I’ve tried the plastic caged shimano’s above and they click in and out fine but are less grippy / smaller to find if you are going fast and are trying to click back in.

Mallet’s are meant to be the ultimate option that World Cup racers are using etc but I’ve read too many comments about how much servicing they need.

I’ve always had a good experience with Time off road pedals but I couldn’t then swap bikes with a mate on uplift days as they aren’t compatible with shimano cleats. They are relentlessly reliable in my experience though.

pothead
    Free Member

Having used both the Shimano DX and Crank Brothers Mallet DH I would have to say the Mallet is a far better pedal for dh/enduro racing, esp when riding unclipped although they were a fair bit more expensive last time I looked. Crank Brothers do use brass cleats though which wear out and need replacing far quicker than the steel cleats used by most other brands

trail_rat
    Free Member

My experiance of having the SPD’s in a cage is that for the SPD’s to work they need to protrude so actually offer very little over just a regular SPD pedal….. I have xtr trails and the nukeproof ones and previously the red dx caged ones and both the plastic and metal caged ones shown above. And if your not clipped it it feels like your stood on a (slippy) egg

I would not recommend the spd one side flats the other…. I have those on my commuter bike (xt touring) and they arehandy and tollerable on there but for racing they would be a liability. It’s 50:50i get the right side even in a non stress situation

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve ridden Time for many years. Completely reliable – bearings seem to last forever. Very good in mud, crud and snow – I’ve never had any issues getting in or out (last time we rode in freezing conditions I was better off than katie on flats, which had built up a layer of ice over the top that 5-10s soft rubber couldn’t kick off)

BUT current Time pedals are not repairable. I’ve bent springs on 3or 4 pedals over the last couple of years with rock strikes. (Climbing, low bottom bracket bikes) and you can’t buy replacements (or even salvage springs from other pedals sue to the way they’re built.

Early days but I’ve just switched to Shimano Saint. In theory less float but actually seems to be more variation in the cleat position so I seem to be getting it where I need it. Wide platform seems to be giving more shoe support clipped in than the Time MX (where your shoe does seem to rest on the spring) and a big platform to rest on when you’re not.

Lots more gap around the middle of the pedal to clear mud than on the 424. Picked mine up for 60ish on eBay.

lunge

Shimano 520’s or M530’s if you want a cage.
    Cheap enough to not worry about them not being used, ultra reliable and they last for a long time too.
    I’d probably get the 530’s but there’s nothing in it at all.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Which clipless pedals do I need for my lad?’ is closed to new replies.