Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Which climbing mag?
  • clubber
    Free Member

I’m after a subscription for a climbing mag for my brother in law. He’s been climbing for years doing pretty much all the main types eg trad, non-traditional outdoors, indoors, etc.

I know that’s not a huge amount to go on but any suggestions on which mag might be best suited?

I found this but it’s pretty old so I don’t know if it still holds true

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=221

I was thinking the climbing equivalent to rouleur or similar – something that he probably wouldn’t buy for himself but would enjoy reading and the pics.

Thanks!

hammyuk
    Free Member

The best is Rock and Ice, Climbing is the uk equivalent but not as “awesome” in content.
    Think GQ versus Nutz

clubber
    Free Member

Thanks for that. Is R&I American though? is it still relevant for non US people?

hammyuk
    Free Member

It’s sent worldwide and has a huge coverage not just stateside.
    I used to have it shipped on subscription while in Spain and carried on here for a while.

wishiwascalledsteve

Vertical is my choice, but it is mostly directed at European and great range alpine climbing. Doesn’t normally have much trad climbing in it.

Alpinist is another US magazine, that is probably closest to singletrack, but again more alpine climbing.

Of the UK magazines you have either Climb or Climber, personally I prefer Climb, healthy balance between all aspects of climbing, along with new and reviews.

footflaps

I used to get climber. Does On The Edge still exist, used to have the best photography of the UK mags?

tlr

Alpinist is probably the Rouleur equivalent.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I think they are all a bit pap these days – US Rock and Ice and Climbing used to be good, esp the John Long stuff in Climbing. Not seen either for ages. I would go for a sub to Alpinist for something a bit special.

wishiwascalledsteve

On the edge, I believe morphed into Climb

clubber
    Free Member

Thanks all 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Which climbing mag?’ is closed to new replies.