Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Which clever people on here can get data from IP addresses?
  • Pook

My email has been accessed from Algiers and i have the ip address. Which of you clever people can extract information from that?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Next question waht will you do with the information?

Getting to the source.

There are a handful of practical reasons people use IP Lookup, even with its limitations:

Law enforcement and fraud investigators use online tools to see what ISP is hosting a spammer.
    Blacklist databases use it to find spammers or other violators and block their access to email servers.
    Retailers often use IP Lookup to make sure someone charging thousands of dollars is at the mailing address linked to the card…and not actually overseas with a stolen credit account.
    You can use it to verify that someone who tells you in an email that they’re across town isn’t really in an abandoned warehouse in another country.
    http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup
    Assuming passwords changed, 2 factor authentiucation and trusted devices etc are set up.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah it’s unlikely you’d get more than a rough area they were in and even then chances are it would be the ISPs location. Unless you know shady people in Algiers there’s nothing you can do, the police over here won’t investigate

Jamie
    Free Member

Also, chained VPNs.

They’re probably in Russia.

chomp
    Free Member

it’s not worth the hassle, unless you are planning on tracking them down ‘taken’ style

all you will get is the geo of where the ip popped out, as has been said you wont get the previous hops to get to the source

perchypanther
    Free Member

Oooh! I know this. I have seen many movies and TV shows.

Just open up a window on your computer which has green writing in it.

Type “Trace IP Address” in it and some more green writing will happen. 15 seconds later you will get another screen with a live satellite surveillance feed inside the hackers bedroom so you can feed real-time, on-site intel to your Tac team.

He is probably brown and talks funny.

Good luck.

bedmaker

Just open up a window on your computer which has green writing in it.

Type “Trace IP Address” in it and some more green writing will happen. 15 seconds later you will get another screen with a live satellite surveillance feed inside the hackers bedroom so you can feed real-time, on-site intel to your Tac team.

Awesome. Patch me in and give me bedroom schematics. 🙂

beej

Enhance! Enhance!

footflaps

Enhance! Enhance!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq9yj2pVWk[/video]

Drac

Don’t forget to type furiously on the keyboard.

footflaps

Don’t forget to type furiously on the keyboard.

It also helps if you have on old IBM XT style one with the really clacky keys…

brassneck

Are you sure it wasn’t you? There are some crazy proxying & breakout methods used by mobile providers – like the good old ‘you’re calling from Bermuda’ on ferries between here and France.

A one off IP won’t give you anything of value, even if the person was spectacularly dumb it’s likely to be an ISP address pool and probably not logged to a specific sign on.

footflaps

A one off IP won’t give you anything of value, even if the person was spectacularly dumb it’s likely to be an ISP address pool and probably not logged to a specific sign on.

Your Eigen values must be off, with the right algorithm you can find out everything from his shoe size to his mother’s maiden name…..

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU[/video]

I can help OP

deadkenny
    Free Member

brassneck – Member 
    Are you sure it wasn’t you? There are some crazy proxying & breakout methods used by mobile providers – like the good old ‘you’re calling from Bermuda’ on ferries between here and France.

This. Especially using public wifi which gets you a new IP address and email/social media etc flag it up as a new login, so alerts me that I’ve logged in from somewhere 100s of miles from where I actually was. Though in the case of my phone I just check what OS and browser it says was used. If it says Edge/Windows then 99.99% it’s me as not one else uses Windows Phone 😀

amedias
    Free Member

As someone who has to deal with this kind of thing as part of their job trust me when I say it’s probably not worth the effort. With a single IP* you’re on a hiding to nothing…

– RIPE data incomplete/inaccurate
    – non-geographic IP assignments
    – dynamic IP allocation
    – wifi hotspots
    – commercial NAT’ing to share connections
    – VPNs (and VPN chaining)
    – compromised device/server/pc
    – reflected or proxied traffic

And if none of that is an issue and you get so lucky that its a staitc assignment to the exact person/single device to identify** it as “Joey McAlgerianBlogs in the kitchen with the iPhone” what are you then gonna do? Call the Algerian police and try and make an international incident of it?

If you goal is to perhaps just identify and advise someone that their connection is being used for nefarious purposes then I’ll bet you a KitKat Chunky they’ll fall into one of three camps

1> already know and are sorting it
    2> already know and don’t care
    3> don’t know and don’t care

* Even if you have loads more you’re basically into circumstantial coincidence level matching, and that’s assuming all data up to date
    ** and you have co-operation from any/all parties who can match records up, which you probably don’t.

footflaps

I can help OP

ok, it’s working..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VuS7fW]GUI interface using Visual Basic[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Jamie
    Free Member

Well…I am out of ideas.

amedias
    Free Member

Nice try Jamie, missing the slash and hoping nobody would notice…. but I know the truth!

It should have been obvious since you also tried to put him off the scent with you VPN comment…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Which clever people on here can get data from IP addresses?’ is closed to new replies.