Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which cleat system for the "gravel" bike?
  • curto80
    Free Member

Can’t really decide between spd-sl and spds. Not really used to spds anymore so they feel a bit weird on the road so I think I’d rather use the spd-sls and just deal with it on the off road sections.

What do other STWers do?

jam-bo

Having had an impromptu unplanned off-road walk in spd-sl’s, they wear down real quick.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Spd

Anywalking and you’ll regret road shoes and cleats.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time XC8 and S-works XC shoes here. Shoes are as stiff as the road version, but just a bit more versatile.

tomhoward

Same as flashy, but Shimano pedals with a cage

Use them on Mtbs as well. Road systems have their place, and it’s on road bikes

djflexure

Use the Look s track and s works trail shoes

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It would be the same as the MTB for me, any chance your walking and it’s not road shoes.

Simon

Time mtb pedals and xc shoes for me on my GT Grade.

onandon
    Free Member

Ritchey wcs pedals here with shimano cleats.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

294km ride on road on my bokeh last week in MTB shoes (Bontrager RLXL) they are just as stiff as road shoes, with the added bonus of being able to walk in them

slowster
    Free Member

any chance your walking and it’s not road shoes.

I would go further and say any chance you’re walking some distance/on rough or awkward terrain, and it’s not spd race type shoes with a rigid sole.

If you like to explore tracks that you have never ridden before, and you are the type that tends to push on rather than turn back when the track deteriorates, then you may find that you will be better off with shoes that are more capable on those sections where you are forced to dismount and walk.

For that reason I’ve switched on my gravel bike from spd race type shoes to Shimano XM7 shoes (which have a Vibram walking sole). Because I was concerned that the XM7’s were less stiff and might not provide enough support on a standard spd pedal, I also fitted spd trail pedals to give a bit more support.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I personally would suggest anything other than Road cleats. Shouldn’t be even thought of if you are going to take the bike on its intended purpose.

If you like the larger platform of the Road Pedal (as opposed to a traditional smaller SPD MTB Pedal) why not try a Shimano Trail SPD jobbie (think PD-M530) instead?

…and a stiff soled MTB shoe.

scotroutes

Same as my road, touring and mountain bikes – Candys

greentricky
    Free Member

Frogs for me

jonba
    Free Member

spds. Only my road race bike has spd sl.

My cross and winter bike both take spds. They are different but fine for the road. It is more about the shoe choice in my experience.

Spd shoes are often a bit tougher if you end up walking, the cleats certainly are. Also mtb/CX shoes are better equipped to shrug off mud and water which is why I prefer them on my winter road, can use my mtb/cx ones and not bother with overshoes most of the time.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

S-works XC shoes and look or crank egg-beaters. not spds as they suck with mud.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Time. Every time. The Atac XC pedals are pretty dinky so I even use them on the road bike. I’ve got shoes that I can tour in – and wear in a pub / B&B, some more road oriented ones and winter boots that work on the mountain bike and the Tripster. For on/off road stuff, recessed cleats and pedals that don’t mind mud makes a lot of sense.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which cleat system for the "gravel" bike?’ is closed to new replies.