Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Which chain link connectors are actually usable? (Road Bike)
  • GrahamS

I was giving my CX/road bike a spring clean the other day and decide to take the manky chain off and give it a proper degrease.

It’s an SRAM PC-1091 10-speed chain that uses the PowerLock connector.

I know the PowerLock connectors are supposed to be single-use, but it was an absolute beast to remove. No way I could get it undone with bare hands, despite plenty of soaking in WD-40 etc. Eventually had to butcher it with a chain tool which bent the links before it finally let go.

(I’ve never struggled to get the MTB-style PowerLinks undone with my hands so I don’t think technique is to blame)

So… are there better options for connectors?

A google suggests the Wippermann Connex links might be an option – but they appear to be six quid for one link! Seems a bit steep given that you can get a four pack of PowerLocks for £13

Are they really that good?

Any reason I can’t use them on that 1091 chain?
    (Description implies they are only for Connex chains but I can’t see why)

MSP

I have reused the sram powerlock connectors, but bought a tool for removing them, it is worth buying anyway as it aslo makes the job of removing 9 speed ones so much easier and quicker.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Your technique is to blame.

To stand any real world hope of getting the powerlock off you need quicklink pliers or butchered long nose pliers…

How ever in the other real world …. I just run 9speed powerlinks on mine and wir lass 10speed chains and have done since scotroutes pointed out it works fine sometime last year.

GrahamS

What’s the tool MSP?

I was trying needle nose pliers and all sorts before I decided to just give up and break them with a chain tool.

Edit: cheers trail_rat

This sort of thing?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tools-master-link-pliers/

GrahamS

Lifeline? I like the reassuring blue handles of Park tools 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Thats em , revelation.

I have managed to get powerlocks off by hand before but i am not repeating it ever….

One of those – “how the hell did i live without these before ”

trail_rat
    Free Member

Graham . Its likely the same tool just higher priced like most park things these days (they still make some good pro stuff but they are erring towards alot of rebadged crap)

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have the Park ones above, they are a great tool. I used them loads when I was spinning the spanners at events over previous summers.

JoB
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

I know the PowerLock connectors are supposed to be single-use, but it was an absolute beast to remove.

there’s a clue as to why in there somewhere 🙂

KMC Powerlinks, never had a problem

GrahamS

here’s a clue as to why in there somewhere

Well yeah, but by “single use” I had sort of assumed they meant “you can’t reuse them once they have been removed”.

Not “can’t actually be removed and must be physically destroyed with chain tool, hacksaw or welding torch” 😀

jamiep
    Free Member
    munrobiker
    Free Member

I use 9spd ones on 10spd chains and have done since 10spd first came out.

fasthaggis

Well,well ,I never knew they were meant to be single use. I put them on all the bikes as it helps speed up chain cleaning.
    I know it’s tempting fate ,but I have never had a problem with this.
    I even throw away the Shimano snap pins and use a quick link instead.

GrahamS

No one using the Connex links then?

They get good reviews on Wiggle – but that might just be people trying to justify to themselves why they spent six quid on a chain link. 🙂

iainc

The KMC 10 speed ones are good and are reuseable

mattsccm
    Free Member

KMC are easy. Never understood the need for tools as that’s all I use except for the odd Connex which are much the same. Legend has it that the SRAM are not worth bothering with.
    Can’t see the point of a tool as you don’t carry them on the bike.

singletrackmind

I have Connex links on my MTB .
    Unique way of engaging and disengaging the chain. No fuss or stress once youve sussed the angles.
    LBS recomend a chain remove and wash EVERY ride in the winter , and every month on the RB.
    Not cheap but well made and should last years.
    LBS man reckoned Sram power links are single use only and only for bike assemblers in factories, but then ive always been able to pop them open.

edhornby

KMC

GrahamS

LBS man reckoned Sram power links are single use only and only for bike assemblers in factories, but then ive always been able to pop them open.

My understanding is PowerLock are single use:

PowerLink are multi use:

You can see the differences in the locking bit, the holes in PowerLock ones are much deeper.

Not sure where he gets “only for bike assemblers in factories” from either, given that SRAM sell them individually as non-OEM parts.

sweaman2
    Free Member

KMC 10-speed gets my vote..

MSP

LBS recommend a chain remove and wash EVERY ride in the winter

They should try spending more time riding bikes and less time talking bollocks.

GrahamS

try spending more time riding bikes and less time talking bollocks.

Perfect sub-title for the Chat Forum 😆

Can we get it on a t-shirt?

robland
    Free Member

KMC missing link

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I have been using the Connex links for years. No special tools required and always comes apart easy-peasy. It’s the unique design where you have to turn the link through 90 degrees that saves it having to lock on through friction like all the other links mentioned on this thread.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Does anyone get on with those that have both pins on one plate? I assume you flex that plate to get the pins to match the holes in the other plate. I’m buggered if I can and thus have a tub of the damn things.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Which chain link connectors are actually usable? (Road Bike)’ is closed to new replies.