Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Which Carbon 29er fork?
  • philj

Looking for a carbon fork for my 29er SS Scandal build. Apparently On-One have stopped stocking theirs (which was my first choice due to 47mm offset, reasonable reviews and price) so now a bit stumped as to which way to go… Would be quite happy to buy secondhand, but they seem pretty scarce at the moment.

Anyone recommend between White Brothers, Bontrager, Nuke Proof, eXotic?

White Bros looks a fair bet, but £175 still not cheap. Is it worth £80 more than the eXotic?

Phil 🙂

AB
    Free Member

Read a lot of good reviews for the eXotic. ’tis what I would buy.

Can’t understand why On One have stopped stocking theirs though…

Stoner
    Free Member

the exotic, the whites and the SSC ones are all from the same manufacturer.

Stoner
    Free Member

PS In the absence of the On-One fork (Excellent bit of kit) Id be sorely tempted by the new colourful Niner ones…but Im betting they arent cheap 🙁

philj

Hmmm… didn’t know about the niner ones…

http://www.ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?layout=bikes&taxid=222&parts=true

$375 apparently :s

Thinking the kermit green would look prerty ace on the black scandal! 😉

MrTall
    Free Member

I bought one of the Trigon carbon forks off ebay recently and it is a lovely bit of kit. For my old commuter so i got the one with v brake mounts. Weighs 500g with full carbon steerer. Can’t see if they do a 29er specific one though?

Niner ones do look nice though………

mavisto
    Free Member

According to this LINK, the on one 29er Carbon Forks should be due in, in 2 or 3 weeks.

philj

@mavisto – hmmm… mailed On-One this morning and the response I got was “we are no longer stocking the carbon 29er fork” and a link to the Nuke Proof @ crc. 🙁

Seems such a shame as everyone seems to say what a good product the On-One is (performs well, looks good, decent price). Anyone got any experience (or recommendations on where to buy) the Bontrager? Does the lesser (37mm on the Bonty) rake / offset make much of a difference? I think the eXotic etc is 42mm and the OO 47mm?

triple_s

I have an on-one carbon fork, only used once, uncut steerer.

AB
    Free Member

Triple, you interested in selling it?

Addy in profile.

Stoner
    Free Member

Triple, you interested in selling it?

D’ya think?

I thought he was just bragging

>>> 😉

mavisto
    Free Member

@mavisto – hmmm… mailed On-One this morning and the response I got was “we are no longer stocking the carbon 29er fork” and a link to the Nuke Proof @ crc.

That’s really bad news if they are stopping the carbon forks as they always got rave reviews. They must have been one of the best sellers too.

What is going to be next I wonder?

The On One side of things does seem to have gone a little quiet now that Brant isn’t there.

AB
    Free Member

Mavisto – agree

Clink

AB – if you’re selling might be interested. But your e-mail doesn’t appear to be in your profile?? Mines in mine.

Clink

Also anyone know what the offset is on the Nukeproof fork?

Clink

Just got a similar response from On-one…very strange. Must be one of their best selling products.

philj

meh! Gazumped twice in my own post! 😉

Hmmm… agree that On-one seem to be going distinctly ‘off the boil’ – which is a real shame. It seems so weird not to be following up on previously well received products. Even products they presumably intend to continue seem to be constantly out of stock.

@clink – I believe the nuke proof forks are ‘like the exotic ones’, so I would guess they share the 42mm offset, but retail at almost £100 more than the exotic fork, with arguably even naffer graphics!

@triple_s – I’d also be interested in your On-One’s… drop us some pics and an idea of price (e-mail in profile)

triple_s

philj YGM

daveplanetx
    Free Member

This is a bit weird .

Not sure who on our side is giving out such dodgy information , and even recommending nukeproof – arse and elbow and all that seems we dont know one from the other , will try to get that sorted .

The on-one 29er forks have been out of stock for a while and were ordered a long time ago , there were some production delays but they are now on the water , in a container , and here in 3 weeks – weve got shipping documents so thats a definite date .

Theres a lot of work going on behind the scenes at on-one , around 4-6 new models coming through with designs from input from a few designers were working with , were seeing the model year out with the current product rang , then there will be a rejigging with some of the current “classics” staying , and a few getting an overhaul , a few getting ditched , and then a batch of new models .

Im pretty confident weve found a really good guy to get the on-one ship back on track , were in final stages of talks to rescue him away from his current job , so we can get a dedicated guy back in charge , with carte blanche to take on-one off .

In terms of website and the current lack of action on the on-one website and news – were redoing our whole systems and websites and its taking a good bit of time , not ideal .

Weve got a huge on-one delivery arriving mid July , there is going to be a whole repricing exercise and well set prices to see us out until end of the year , should be a few items tumbling in prices as we clear the decks to have a proper relaunch , with a new “leader” , a new website that makes it easy to actually buy stuff , and a host of new products .

hazeii
    Free Member

Use both White Bros and On-One forks in 29″ Scandal here; both work great, the OO is my preferred choice for most riding/thumping into things (the White Bros is lighter, more flexy, no reason to doubt it but tend to only use it for special occasions – I’ve seen reports it has a 115kg limit, where the OO has none). Apart from the extra flex in the WB I’ve noticed no other handling difference.

NB the burly legs on the OO fork may cause problems with rotor/fork leg clearance; certainly mine don’t work at all with Mono Mini’s on DT240 hub (but are fine on Hope II’s).

AdamM
    Free Member

Does the lesser (37mm on the Bonty) rake / offset make much of a difference? I think the eXotic etc is 42mm and the OO 47mm?

In a word, yes. Which fork is best for your frame is a different question, but in general term the greater offset gives much better handling with most 29ers.

Yay for the new On One website as the current one is awful. I do hope that the new version will include significantly better information and photographs of the products, which is usually missing at present.

mavisto
    Free Member

Thanks

daveplanetx

, great news. Sorry to have put the cat amongst the pigeons, but I couldn’t believe that On One would stop making such a great, highly though of product; which is why I posted on GetSatisfaction.

I love my Inbred 29er (with Carbon Forks) and am seriously thinking of getting the Ti version when my budget will allow it. I’d hate to think that I’d have to build it with someone else’s forks.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I have WB on my 26″ hardtail and LOVE them. Don’t notice any flex though

Clink

“seriously thinking of getting the Ti version”

Definately recommended! 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Which Carbon 29er fork?’ is closed to new replies.