• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by cp.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Which British Cycling membership?
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

I’ve decided it’s worth it just for the discounts, I’ll go for the race one as I will be doing some racing next year, nothing overly serious so not bothered about actual race licence. So the only difference between bronze and the others is the liability insurance, which I’m sure I could do without. But then I think what if I damaged a car while filtering traffic, or rode into a Walker on a bridleway etc…

Any thoughts? What does everyone else have?

Seamus
    Free Member

If you go race silver you get a provisional race licence included, this means you don’t need to buy a day race licence for a lot of events, particularly CX

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yeah I’d got for a silver licence. And if you’ve never been a BC member before it is £20 with the discount code here!

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubs/membership

STATO
    Free Member

If you go race silver BRONZE you get a provisional race licence included,

STATO
    Free Member

And if you’ve never been a BC member before it is £20 with the discount code here!

IF he is in a registered club.

sandwicheater

Think there was a post yesterday about free membership for Bronze.

Seamus
    Free Member

STATO – Member

Yes your right, can’t think why I’ve got silver unless they’ve changed it

crazy-legs

You do but the Day Licence cost is higher. You do a Regional-level crit race and there’s an extra £10 Day Licence fee with a Bronze membership. If you have a Silver Membership, the Day Licence cost is only £5.

Bronze is really only intended for Commissaires, event organisers etc to give the minimum insurance cover for them.

See here:
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/article/roa20120127-road-Single-Day-Racing-Licences-%E2%80%93-Road—Track-0

And here for the various membership benefits:
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/race

hopkinsgm

You do but the Day Licence cost is higher…

…for road and track events. No additional day licence fees at any regional level CX event I’ve ever done [edit]with a race bronze membership[/edit]. So it very much depends on what kind of racing the OP is intending to do. Note that unless you don’t even need a provisional licence for most mountain bike racing up to and including regional level

chrishc777
    Free Member

Yeah no high level road for me. And no more than regional mtb.

Any opinions on the insurance?

hopkinsgm

Re: insurance, I didn’t feel the type and level of cover was worth the additional expense for my personal circumstances (I seem to have similar cover through other routes). Between saving 10% off a CRC order per month (when I remember to claim it) and saving day licence fees at a handful of regional level CX races a year, I get my money’s worth out of a bronze membership.

aP
    Free Member

Bronze is really only intended for Commissaires, event organisers etc to give the minimum insurance cover for them.

I’d forgotten about that, I just tend to go Gold particularly as I get a big discount off it for being a Comm, and previously for being a race promoter.

STATO
    Free Member

or anyone who doesnt race road/track.

Ive yet to see an MTB or CX race charge extra for not having a full licence, you just dont collect points. Only the National series require you to have a licence.

alanl
    Free Member

The CX ‘concession’ was implemented when the British Cyclo-cross Association was merged/consumed by what was then, the British Cycling Federation – around 2001 IIRC.

Up until then, all cyclo cross was nothing to do with the BCF, and just being a member of the BBCA allowed you to enter any CX race.
    One of the points we made when merging was that CX should stay as an entry level sport, and Race Licences would not be needed to enter any race.
    I’ve always had a Bronze membership since the merger, and did the National Championships with that. I’m not good enough to enter that now so no idea if you can still enter it with a bronze card.

matt_outandabout

Does anyone else not think BC membership model is completely crackers and (even for BC staff!) difficult to understand?

alanl
    Free Member

It is a mess.
    My GF went for the ‘free’ first year membership today.
    Apparently there are now non-racing and racing memberships. Prices all over the place.
    It should be simple.It isnt.
    My idea to make it simple.
    Basic – enter local races, be a general member. £20 or less.
    One level up, able to enter larger races, get more benefits (magazine etc) £40.
    One more level up, enter races around the World, get better insurance etc. £80.

matt_outandabout

Except there are two levels of silver – one you can race all on, one that’s a provisional only. There is also ride membership…

It is bonkers, complex and just a barrier.

Much like most of BC….

cp

I’ve used bronze membership for all my CX racing due to the reasons alanl describes. I’ve never done a national race but I’ve done lots of regionals using it with no day licence fee

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Which British Cycling membership?’ is closed to new replies.