Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which brakes sub £200?
  • 5AM
    Free Member

Looking to replace my Avid Juicy 5 with 185mm rotors for something else as the piston in the rear caliper keeps sticking.

Use is All Mountain with a slight downhill bias, but don’t have a chance to try out other peoples. Ideally would like something with modulation, but plenty of power when needed.

I’m thinking to try and pick up a set of Hope V2 second hand, but any suggestions would be welcome.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

I’ve just removed a set of V2s from a bike I’m splitting if you’re interested.

slackman99
    Free Member

Magura Louise have done me proud and are properly powerful, whilst being faff free.

You should be able to get a set for your budget brand new.

thepurist

You may get a lot more for your money if you go to one of the German places – rosebikes.co.uk, actionsports.de etc. – though Merlin beat all of them when I was looking for some SLX for MrsP’s hardtail earlier this year.

uwe-r
    Free Member

You should find Avid Elixer a step up from Juicys. I have the basic elixer 5’s and have run them for a year with no problem and there has been no loss of power / need to bleed them yet.

5AM
    Free Member

Trailseeker can you send me pics and a price to samfinch1 AT yahoo.co.uk
    and if rotors etc are included, as I could definitely be interested.

Also other suggestions are good, especially the German sites as for some reason I hadn’t thought to look there.

chakaping
    Free Member

SLX might fit the bill. Not the lightest but amazing stopping power with 203mm rotors on my old big hit, not far off the Formula The Ones I have now.

The Formula Store has sold out of cheap The Ones now, but still has Megas (even cheaper and v similar)…
    http://store.formula-brake.com/items/brake-set-mega-2

JonR
    Free Member

Trail seeker, I might be interested in the V2s if you’re flogging. Mail in profile.

wl
    Free Member

I like my Elixir 5s and they cost me peanuts. Good feel, decent power, no problems so far, although the Alps will provide the acid test.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I got Shimano XT Levers, 160 Rotars & Calipers from Ribble for £140 a few months back.

johntheboy
    Free Member

uwe-r – Member
    You should find Avid Elixer a step up from Juicys. I have the basic elixer 5’s and have run them for a year with no problem and there has been no loss of power / need to bleed them yet.

I echo these thoughts also run Elixer 5’s and found them brill in all departments.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i use code 5’s and cant rate them enough!!! 75euro each and i only ride alps and dh!! great brake and would buy the same next time

Northwind

I’d be getting Formula Oros without a doubt, and spending the change on hookers.

vrapan
    Free Member

XTR levers from CRC, XT calipers from where you can find a pair 🙂 job done!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which brakes sub £200?’ is closed to new replies.