Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Which Brakes????? Pro’s & Cons
  • ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

Looking at some new anchors for steed… Ive narrowed it down to Code RSC or Cura 4’s……Im currently running Code calipers on Guide Rs levers….. These have been great on my local trails but on bike park and longer runs I’m finding their limits so I’m treating myself. I’m not a Shimano fan as I prefer some modulation not on and off. I read numerous articles and reviews but I just wanted some real world views. Thanks in advance.

militantmandy
    Free Member

Code RSC are great (I hate regular Codes) both for power and feel. They do seem to need bled a bit more often than most though.

Don’t know anything about the Cura. TRP DHR Evo are also great though. Sharper than Codes if you like that feel.

sharkattack

I’ve got brand new Code RSC’s on a new bike which has been out less than 10 times. Power and modulation is good. Levers can be a bit loose and floppy. The tool free adjustment thing on the right hand lever absolutely does not move.

They’re just typically Sram. They work for now but when they act up I’ll be switching to Formula or Hope.

joebristol

I occasionally wonder about a brake upgrade over my Code Rs. Would either be Code RSC or Cura 4’s from what I’ve read on here recently.

Code R is generally fine but sometimes I think a little more power wouldn’t go amiss.

Don’t like the feel of Shimano much on steep tech (ok everywhere else) – last time I used some I managed to lock the front wheel in a spot I’ve never done before.

I’ve read mixed stuff about Magura MT5 / MT7 and it’s a lot of money so I think I’d probably swerve those now.

honourablegeorge

Cura are very good, simple, great value.

MT7 cheap at r2-bike.com right now.

silasgreenback

I’ve run shimano – wooden and lifeless
    Sram bottom of range – awful in every respect.
    Hope e4 – noisy. Overpriced. Undepowered
    Hop V4 – noisy. Overpriced. Unperpowered.

Cura-X – on the hardtail best upgrade i made. Oodles of feel and power. Cant fault them.

Ebike i put cura4’s on. Masses of power. Dont feel quite as nice as their twinpots but still not disappointed. Formula UK are superb to deal with too.

DickBarton

The SRAM adjustments – put a wee bit of pressure on the lever, not a pull but the start of a pull – just to put a bit of tension. It should hopefully allow adjustments to be made as all the dials and knobs should now turn.

Stranga
    Free Member

Never used Curas but have recently been using Code RSC’s which are my first SRAM brakes in years, really impressed with power and reliability so far as long as I stick with SRAM original sintered pads, mind they arnt as powerful as my Hope Tech 4 E4’s on other bike which have been faultless and quiet using Hopes (galfer) red all weather pads.

sharkattack

I’m interested in Hope because of the new lever. My old E4’s were perfectly reliable and easy to live with but the power was nothing special. If they’ve fixed that, then I’m back in.

I like the Cura but I’m erring towards the 2 rather than the 4 because of lazy piston syndrome in the 4 pots. All reports say that the 2 is more than adequate.

I’m not shelling out any cash without a solid test ride on both. I’m sick of spending money on disappointing bike parts.

thisisnotaspoon

I’ve just swapped the lever pistons in my Guides for metal ones, can’t figure out if it’s just a placebo or if they really do feel better? Maybe it’s just fresh fluid and all the pistons/seals being well lubricated. Obviously not what you want as they’re less powerful than want you have.

FWIW I never found shimano lacked modulation, they just lack* lever throw. The lever pressure Vs braking power felt nicely linear to me. I’d definitely have another set.

My other plan is to put bigger calipers on now sorted the SRAM levers. I was thinking hope as their spare parts page says 16+18mm piston. That or the “Trials” 25mm 2-pot caliper but that needs it’s own rotors with the wide brake track.

*I don’t think that’s a negative, I don’t like spongy brakes.

SirHC

Cura 2’s over Cura 4’s

-They don’t feel any less powerful and have more than enough power
    -Great modulation
    -2 pots dont have wandering pistons like every 4 pot does

peaslaker
    Free Member

I run Cura 2 and Code RSC across my enduro and eeb respectively, both 29ers with 200mm rotors front and back on both.

Most recent outing was the eeb (Codes) on steep Glentress off-piste. Absolutely rock solid. Great feel.

Took the enduro bike to Les Gets this summer and I have a soft spot for the Pleney Black. Getting top to bottom of the black run in 4mins and the Curas did the job reliably. Great feel again. If anything they felt like they had a smidge less margin than the Codes – or more modulation. It’s not like I’m dragging on the brakes on a run I know and going at a pace but these brakes (this specific set) have been my big mountain setup transferred across three bikes and have been completely trustworthy, strong and easy to live with. If I wanted to sharpen them up that last nth I’d go to a 220 rotor.

I’ve had a Cura 4 set sitting in their box in my spares for a few years now. Its never been on my priority list to put them on the bike.

Stranga
    Free Member

I had Hope Tech3 E4 before my current Tech4 E4’s and new ones are noticeably more powerful than both the Tech3 and Code RSC’s, best brakes I have ever owned to date.

ta11pau1

I had Hope Tech3 E4 before my current Tech4 E4’s and new ones are noticeably more powerful than both the Tech3 and Code RSC’s, best brakes I have ever owned to date.

Been very happy with my tech 4 V4’s on 203/180 discs, with the only niggle that they needed a decently firm pull to access all the power.

New bike will have tech 4 V4’s and 220/203 discs. I’m expecting immense power… 😁

intheborders
    Free Member

Don’t like the feel of Shimano much on steep tech (ok everywhere else) – last time I used some I managed to lock the front wheel in a spot I’ve never done before.

It’s not a fault of the brakes that you hadn’t enough weight on the front and/or applied too much pressure.

I rode an eBike with Code R’s last week – the bike was wonderful, the brakes hateful, I don’t want 2″ of lever travel, I want the brakes to work when I touch the lever.

I’ve a front Zee / rear 2-pot SLX on my big bike – instant power whenever I need it, and a POP to modulate – shame they don’t make Zee’s any more. Saints maybe?

fathomer

@sharkattack the new Tech 4 is a big step up, surprisingly so. I was always really happy with the Tech 3, the only time I ever found them lacking was 650m into a steep 800m descent in the Alps a few years ago when I had to stop to give my hands a break. Rode a similar descent in the Alps this year with the Tech 4s top to bottom with no issues at all.

Plus they made the Tech 3s on the other bike feel pretty underpowered, so I bought another set 🙂

joebristol

It’s not a fault of the brakes that you hadn’t enough weight on the front and/or applied too much pressure.

I have ridden that particular trail a fairly large number of times in different bikes and never locked a wheel there before. All been on sram brakes before – either Code R or Guide R. My code R have a 220mm front rotor and 180mm rear rotor.

The Shimanos randomly grabbed to the point of locking with no warning – Codes have a nice ramp up and you know when they’re at the point of locking up.

ta11pau1

The Shimanos randomly grabbed to the point of locking with no warning – Codes have a nice ramp up and you know when they’re at the point of locking up.

I agree, Shimano XT or above are just too grabby for me, in the wet I find it too easy to lock up with the slightest touch.

Obviously this is a very personal thing, you tend to prefer one or the other – instant grabby power aka Shimano. Or smooth modulatable power aka Hope.

nickc

Codes or saints. Either one with orignal pads.

I don’t want 2″ of lever travel, I want the brakes to work when I touch the lever.

I’d ay that’s an issue with those brakes, not Codes in general, I’ve Code R and they operate like on/off switches (how I like my brakes to work)

the00
    Free Member

Cura 4 are good brakes, but quite on/off in feel and more like Shimano than Sram.

chiefgrooveguru

“the new Tech 4 is a big step up, surprisingly so”

I’ve heard that in quite a few places! What wheel size, discs, calipers and rider weight (if you don’t mind!) are you?

intheborders
    Free Member

The Shimanos randomly grabbed to the point of locking with no warning

Again, brakes don’t lock, tyres lose grip.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The Shimanos randomly grabbed to the point of locking with no warning

I read stuff like this about Shimano brakes all the time. Frankly I don’t understand it or recognise it in my Shimano brakes.

What are you all doing? grabbing a massive handful and expecting it to do the modulation for you?

mboy
    Free Member

Hope Tech 4 are such a step up over Tech 3 that even I’m considering putting some on my bike right now… The amount of improvement they’ve put into that brake, they’re closer to a Trickstuff Maxima now than they are to the previous generation Tech 3, and as someone who’s owned some Maxima’s that’s high praise indeed!

Can’t go wrong with Code RSC’s though, as long as you’re not paying the ludicrous rrp… Not ridden them yet, but the latest rotors are supposed to help give them a little more bite and power too.

Only ridden Cura 4’s on one test ride, was pretty impressed by them, but they do have the typical “feel worn out when new” lever wobble that I’ve experienced on just about every set of Formula’s I’ve ever ridden. They do seem to require nearly as much maintenance as ever though… I just can’t bring myself to take another risk with Formula after the last nightmare!

honourablegeorge

Curas have been pretty much maintenance free (and wobble free) for me, and I have experienced the awful wobble of Formulas of old to the extent I swore I’d never use a Formula brake again

sharkattack

I was speaking to someone who uses these and he rates them…

https://emrg.bike/produkt/rg-bikecomponents-brake-lever-for-formula-cura/?lang=en

It replaces the plastic bush and removes the wobble from your Cura levers. He didn’t have his bike with him so I couldn’t check them out in the flesh.

The amount of improvement they’ve put into that brake, they’re closer to a Trickstuff Maxima now than they are to the previous generation Tech 3, and as someone who’s owned some Maxima’s that’s high praise indeed!

I think I said on here years ago, I hope that Hope see the new Trickstuff brakes as a bit of a kick up the arse. The main complaint being that Hope brakes have underwhelming power, then one German bloke manages to design and manufacture something that everyone rates as the most powerful brake on Earth. I’m glad they accepted the challenge. Better late than never.

HobNob
    Free Member

I’m a Code RSC person, consistent good power & adjusters that actually work & do something.

Annoyingly I have some Saints on my ebike, as that’s what came on it & whilst they don’t have a wandering bite point, they do feel rubbish in comparison. And the lever ergonomics are not great.

the00
    Free Member

There was a thread last week with many good reports of the Cura brakes:

Formula cura 4 vs magura mt5/mt7/trail sports

For me the levers went a little wobbly after 18months, but original replacements are very cheap. After that thread last week I ordered some bling replacements from EMRG.

fathomer

@chiefgrooveguru

What wheel size, discs, calipers and rider weight (if you don’t mind!) are you?

I’m on a Starling Murmur (29er) with a 203mm disc, E4 callipers and weigh about 78kg kitted up.

zerolight
    Free Member

I’m still running my Hope E4s with Tech 3 levers. Powerful enough for me, great modulation. They replaced XTs on my Trigger Carbon 2, then moved them to a High Tower where they replaced the stock SRAM, then moved them again to my current bike. Must be 7 years old now. Bled with each bike transfer and new pads once every year or two. Those CURA brakes do look lovely though, similar style to the E4s, but maybe a modern upgrade.

shortcut

I’m running tech 4 e4 front and tech for v2 on the back with 180 and 160 respectively. Plenty of power for me at around 95 kilos and apparently I use my brakes a lot.

chiefgrooveguru

“I’m on a Starling Murmur (29er) with a 203mm disc, E4 callipers and weigh about 78kg kitted up.”

Thanks, a useful reference! I’m the same weight with Tech 3 E4 on my 29” hardtail with 203/183 discs – and Tech 3 V4 on my 29” Levo with 220/200 discs. The extra power on the Levo is quite noticeable, more than outweighs the extra weight – not that the Moxie feels like more power is needed.

thisisnotaspoon

If you’re not running 8-piston brakes, are you even really trying?

joefm
    Free Member

Can only write about what i have – Codes with 200mm rotors front and rear. They’ve been faultless. Never had to worry about power as they’ve been consistent and worked the same from top to bottom, even at Golfie and over steep long tracks. Aware some aren’t as good so it’s luck of the draw to an extent.

Heard good things about Formula and the new Hopes but I have no reason to change and I like that everything is SRAM rather than mixed and matched.

honourablegeorge

the00

For me the levers went a little wobbly after 18months, but original replacements are very cheap. After that thread last week I ordered some bling replacements from EMRG.

There’s something I don’t need that I will almost definitely buy, cheers 🙂

igm

For what it’s worth (Buffalo Springfield ©️) we have both Tech3 E4s and Tech4 X2s in our house.

Both my 16 year old downhiller and I (51 year old timid type) reckon the T4X2 is more powerful.

By some way.

But still modulates nicely

However careful initial alignment / setup is key.

Then your next maintenance is pads or a bleed in a few years time.

zerolight
    Free Member

I just replaced my perfectly good, red, Hope Tech 3 E4 brakes with a pair of gold bling Cura 2s. I was willing to sacrifice a little bit of modulation for a little more initial grab. Honestly, I can’t say there’s a huge difference – I’m running 203mm up front with the Cura 2 vs 180mm when I was on the E4. What I can say is that you can’t go wrong with either the E4 or the Cura 2. I decided, based on reviews, particularly from Paul Aston, that I wanted the 2 rather than the 4 pot Cura. My E4s are now in the classifieds section whilst I wait on eBay offering me reduced fees.

reeksy

I have a set of Formula Cura 2s on my commuter (sometimes the commute involves some very steep tech) they feel very similar to a well set up xtr 9000 to me. Which is fine and plenty enough for me. Brake pads wear out extremely fast though.

I probably prefer my MT5s on my other bike though, but that maybe as that one gets used more aggressively.

chakaping
    Free Member

Brake pads wear out extremely fast though.

My old Formula The Ones used to do that in the Alps, looks like the Cura 2 still uses a pretty small pad?

julians
    Free Member

Hope tech 3 e4 ,have run for over 2 years : not very powerful, but well made and reliable, wouldnt buy again.
    Shimano XT 8120 ,have run for over 2 years : Powerful, a bit grabby, but overall good.
    Sram code RSC ,have run for over 2 years : Powerful, decent modulation, better than shimano xt overall, although the bite point adjuster has seized on the front brake.
    Magura MT7 , only had these a few weeks : really powerful, amazing modulation , havent had enough time on them to comment on long term stuff.

I suspect the mt7 will become my favourite brake – replacing the sram code rsc in that respect.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.