Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Which Brakes?
  • Premier Icon notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m after a new set of disc brakes for the bike. Are the newer Shimano ones any better with regards the leaking calliper issues? <span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>I’ve just had to replace a coupe of leaking callipers recently so would rather avoid them if they’re still prone to leaking.</span>

I’m currently leaning towards a set of XT but I’m tempted to blow the budget on a set of Hope Tech 3 X2’s.

Any other decent suggestions?

Premier Icon andrewh
    Free Member

My shimano road brakes are very leaky and my Hope Tech 2s aren’t if that helps

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve never had issues with Shimano brakes. Only ever had issues with Hope. If that helps

Premier Icon joepud

Brakes are all love hate i think. I recently got a set of 4pot XTRs, totally over kill but wanted a set for years and they are amazing. Once my SLXs ones die on my HT i will get some 4pot XTs I don’t see how you can beat them for price vs performance.

Premier Icon samuelr

I have had pretty much all brands at some point. But I’ve stuck with magura. Gon for mt trail this time on a hardtail build I’m doing.

Premier Icon nixie

Magura Mt trail sport. The whole set is a similar cost to one hope. Just pay attention to the the torque values and don’t be a gorilla.

Premier Icon sharkattack
    Free Member

Judging from the power of my E4’s I wouldn’t bother with the X2. Saying that I’ve had them for years and the performance and reliability has never flickered. I can’t imagine what you’re doing wrong to have recurring issues with Hope brakes.

Magura Mt trail sport. The whole set is a similar cost to one hope.

Maybe alloy costs more than plastic? Magura brakes feel like toys from a xmas cracker.

Premier Icon nixie

I have both and disagree. By the same argument Shimano sets cost the same as a single hope.

I can’t imagine what you’re doing wrong to have recurring issues with Hope brakes.

Not can I but that doesn’t mean they weren’t.

Premier Icon chakaping

Are the newer Shimano ones any better with regards the leaking calliper issues

Not a problem I’m aware of in recent times. Wandering bite point is the main issue people seem to encounter (including me), usually fixed with a thorough bottom-up bleed IME.

I’d strongly suggest considering Deore, as they seem to be the most-reliable Shimano brakes and might even be no heavier (possibly lighter) than XT.

Premier Icon lawman91

I’ve gone from Hope to Shimano, to Sram, back to Hope and now back to Sram! My first Hopes were all X2’s/Minis and they were great when I was 16/17 and about 10 stone, now probably not so much! Unless you want to save every gram possible, I’d leave the X2. I’d avoid Shimano, since they replaced the XT M785 with M8000 they’ve been pants, wandering bite points and hopeless reliability.

Went to Sram Guides as they came on a complete bike and they were good until the levers started to stick (a known issue subsequently solved) so went to E4’s and while they have lovely modulation, they never had that WOW power feeling, you had to work hard to get full power, which even then seemed down on the Guides (especially so on the Guides with SwissStop pads). Now on Sram G2’s and very happy with them so far, more power than the E4, similar modulation and have been very consistent in the 6 months I’ve had them. Will stick some SwissStop pads in once the current ones wear which will improve the power a bit more. Such a shame they don’t make them for E4’s they’d massively help in the power stakes compared to the stock Hope pads, which do last forever but sure seem short of bite.

Premier Icon Yak

I haven’t had any leaks from new shimanos (the ones with the in-board clamps). But all the other earlier 2 pots have leaked eventually. So I would go for magura trail sports. Yeah the lever body is composite, but the bit you touch is a short stubby alu lever that is a bit beefier than a shimano.

Premier Icon JAG

Another vote for Magura.

Lot’s of stopping power with good modulation.

Plastic – Yes but very well made and nicely designed. Just be careful when torquing up joints and clamp bolts and all will be well.

I have Magura MT5 on both of my mountain bikes.

Premier Icon chrishc777
    Free Member

I have the new Hayes Dominions on my trail bike. They are awesome. Better than the Hope E4s on my big bike in most ways

Premier Icon dirkpitt74

I’ve got Shimano on all the bikes at home – from cheapo Altus up to SLX and Saint – never had an issue with them.

I had SRAM before (well Avid…) and they were a nightmare.

Although I have got a pair of the 4-pot Tektros to try out at some point.

Premier Icon ehrob
    Free Member

if you’ve got the Hope itch you’ll need to scratch it probably.

i run Magura’s on both bikes though. yes, i’d prefer it if they were a little more stout, but they’re reliable, powerful, reasonably priced, and quite easy to work on, providing you’re careful with them. Spares might be a bit more of a pain to get post brexit if that bothers you. But still possible.

Trail sports are excellent for anything except a big enduro bike or DH bike that’s being ridden on steep stuff lots, in which case MT5’s with the one finger levers are probably better.

Premier Icon peaslaker
    Free Member

Just because they haven’t been mentioned, Formula Cura are my current go to.

I have had bad Saints, M8000, M988; IME they all eventually crap out leaking. You can get decent bang for buck for the time a good set works. Until M8000, my experience was I could get several years’ use. M8000 started out with different problems bad enough that they felt at times like they were trying to kill me. A few sets passed my way but my trust had been lost and I found myself hyper-critical of any perceived variance in performance which is where the Curas got a look in and they’ve never been anything but brilliant.

Premier Icon mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Currently got three out of four bikes running Shimano. XTR 9120, pistons leak, recently pulled the bike out after a few months without use and the pads are dead, possibly rotors as well. Fuming, bearing in mind the price of these pads and rotors now, plus they are already warranty replacements for 9020s with the same issue. SLX 7100, not leaking but most noticeable wandering bite point I’ve had yet. GRX 600, no leaking or wandering bite point. So I’d say it’s still a lottery.

Premier Icon Yak

XTR 9120, pistons leak, recently pulled the bike out after a few months without use and the pads are dead, possibly rotors as well. Fuming

They only leak when you are not riding them all the time. Definitely go for something else on a bike that isn’t your regular ride.

Free Member

I would have thought they leak all the time? But it gets burnt off or worn away faster than it leaks with frequent use. Sub optimal anyway. Power starts to take a dive after only 2-3 weeks. So it’s bit hard to keep on top of using them enough with several bikes. Not that anyone should have to. This has been going on far too long now, along with the bite point issue.

Premier Icon montgomery
    Free Member

Nope. Front XT/rear SLX for 3 years, no issues at all. Bleed them when I change the pads, otherwise no cleaning or maintenance. Unused for three months during lockdown 1.0 BUT I made a point of giving the levers a good squeeze once or twice a week in passing, just to flex the seals. Doing that again this lockdown, and expect the same trouble free result when they start getting ridden again.

Free Member

made a point of giving the levers a good squeeze once or twice a week in passing, just to flex the seals

What’s the benefit of doing that? Not trying to be obnoxious but you shouldn’t need to.

Premier Icon reeksy
    Free Member

Having run a few sets of 2-pot XTs and XTRs i got a set of Magura MT5s. Absolute game changer. Love them. I do find i go through pads quickly, but it’s worth it. Keen to get another set (or maybe MT Trail) for my other bike now as the XTRs feel so woeful in comparison.

Premier Icon notmyrealname
    Free Member

So it looks like my choice of brakes could well be dictated by what’s available and from looking around it certainly narrows the choice down somewhat!

Hope appear to be out of stock everywhere and about an eight week wait which isn’t ideal. It’s currently looking like a set of Maguras or possibly SRAM depending on what I can find.

Premier Icon militantmandy
    Free Member

I’ve got Magura MT-5s across 4 different bikes. Amazing power, great modulation. Have been very reliable. They don’t feel as premium as Hope/Code RSC etc, but they’re half the price and they out perform both.

Premier Icon reggiegasket
    Free Member

The main issue for me with Hopes is the modulation and feel. If you like the way they feel then fine, but I never did.

I’m on Sram at the moment (Guides on the fullbouncer and Levels on the 29er) and they’ve decent.

Premier Icon nickc

All my mountain bikes have SRAM now. Reliable, easy to live with, great stopping power (set of Code RSC on the big bike and Guides with 4 pots on the HT) Hope X2 have been put on the commuter. In their defense they have sat in the spares box for a good few years, and just needed a bleed to get going again. So there’s that.

Premier Icon FOG

My biggest brake surprise was how good modern SRAM is. Guide REs came on a complete bike and nearly lead me not to buy it. However they are brilliant and so far reliable unlike the Avids of yore which came with serious issues from new.

Premier Icon pickle
    Free Member

All you guys with Magura MTs, how have got on after bleeding them?
    I found mine were great until they needed bleeding then I just couldn’t get them right afterwards. The whole bleeding point at the caliper seems a poor design.

Shimano on the other hand have to be the easiest to work on ever

Premier Icon BillOddie

I have been relatively unimpressed with my XT 4 Pots from 2019.

I had a Lever master piston fail after 13 months.

The wandering bite point is still definitely thing certainly with mine and even with more recent bikes based on bike reviews I have read.

No leaks as far as I know but the wandering bite point is still definitely thing even with more recent bikes based on bike reviews I have read.

If I was buying new brakes I would probably buy Hayes, TRP or Magura.  I would buy Hope if I was feeling flush.

Premier Icon nixie

@pickle not had to bleed mine yet. Managed to shorten the hoses without needing a bleed.

Premier Icon ajantom

The main issue for me with Hopes is the modulation and feel. If you like the way they feel then fine, but I never did.

I’ve got Hope Tech3 X2s on my hardtail, love the feel of them. It is very much down to personal preference though.
    Not as on/off as the SLXs on another bike, but the power is there, and they just work. No faffing, no wondering how far the lever will pull this time.

As an aside though, the favourite brakes I own are the Pauls Klampers on my Stooge. Mechanical brakes done proper!

Premier Icon rascal
    Free Member

Anyone running Hope’s vented rotors with theirs? Someone has just told me the V4s run better with them as they’re 3mm thick but £100 each FFS!

Premier Icon ajantom

No, but I’ve been running Hope floating rotors for year, and they’re great. Very long lasting too. I’ve got a 183/203 set that are 10+ years old and still have plenty of life in them.

Premier Icon notmyrealname
    Free Member

I went for a set of the Magura MT4’s in the end as they were one of the few brakes that were available anywhere.

Hopefully they’ll be here early next week so I can get on with building the bike up.

Premier Icon rascal
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of V4s set aside when they arrive at LBS in a week or so

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.