Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Which bothy for Christmas?
  • jojoA1
    Free Member

Preferably one with not too long a walk/ride in and won't be full of pished up Weegies.

Can Druidh be granted temporary dispensation to answer this please?! 😉

Smee
    Free Member

Big Aggie's bothy.

If you dont know where it is i'm not telling you.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Well that's the last time I tell people that you're quite nice in person… 😉

Smee
    Free Member

Go up the burma road and keep going straight…

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Lochivraon bothy just off the Destitution Road from Braemore Junction to Dundonell. Far enough north to discourage Weegie-ism. Got a sink and flushing toilet!

Or Camban, between Glen Lichd and Glen Affric – brilliant bothy with a 2 hour walk in up Scotland's most enticing downhill 😯

jojoA1
    Free Member

Thanks for those, Stuart and George 🙂

How much coal will we need to take for two nights do you reckon?

and still fit in the turkey…

devs
    Free Member

Some folk will do anything to avoid the inlaws visiting at Christmas!

aviemoron
    Free Member

Stag bothy, Alvie?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

For coal portage, the MO is as follows:

– invite lots of people
    – buy a 40kg bag at the nearest filling station
    – divvy it up into 4kg portions in tesco bags
    – get there first*
    – leave ALL the tesco bags by your car
    – instruct all the guests to pick up a bag or two from your car to carry in
    – daunder in early, unfettered by fossil fuels but laden with absinthe and laudanum

At least that's how my mate Neil always arranges it.

*this bit is important.

jojoA1
    Free Member

The in-laws will be avoiding us, I'm sure! Will do the kids good to have a couple of days away from the telly. Character building!

jojoA1
    Free Member

So, any takers for the Stuartie c method? I have no laudanum, will Opium do?

AndyP
    Free Member

bothys are for life, not just for christmas.

jojoA1
    Free Member

I did spend two weeks at Peanmeanach in my teens. Living off winkles and tomato cupasoup. Will that do?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Living off winkles

<finbarr saunders>

fnarr fnarr!

</finbarr saunders>

househusband

…Living off winkles…

Phew – thought it was only my dearest that refers to that bit of my anatomy as that!

GlenMore
    Free Member

Coire Fionnaraich might fall into your criteria. A couple of decent rooms and weather tight. Good/easy track – 3km on a good surface.

Or how about that wee one that you pass on the Orrin Loop? Pretty anonymous compared to the MBA ones.

juan
    Free Member

i will sound stupid but what's a bothy?
    X

GlenMore
    Free Member

A bothy is an unmanned "hut", usually in the wilds somewhere. They have few, if any facilities and will often be just 4 walls and a roof. However, many of them are maintained by the Mountain Bothy Association and so will be weather-tight at least. There's no booking system, just "first come first served". However, it's bad manners not to let anyone in if you're first, so they are also very communal.

delusional
    Free Member

And to add to the "Basic Bothy Questions" – if you don't know exactly where a bothy you're heading to is, how do you know it's a bothy?

I had always imagined them to be much less house like and very obviously bothy, but I keep seeing pictures of places that I would just look at as houses and assume the people in them were the permanent occupants.
    Has anyone tried to enter a private home thinking it was a bothy? Or is there some sort of marking to say it's a bothy? And what's the protocol if someone's already there?

GlenMore
    Free Member

The first rule of bothying…..

Smee
    Free Member

Its the secret handshake dude.

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

Not all bothies are in the highlands there is a grand basic bothy to be discovered within a biking fart of Kirroughtree a great cridit crunch weekend with adventure

Ambrose

I was hauling in a sack of coal to Moel Prysgau a while back when it occurred to me that the passing 4X4s might want to do it for me. Which one of them did! Result. And for what it is worth, there is still half a sack left 🙂

Anyway, to answer OP's question, how about Wales, all are excellent bothies.

pjd
    Free Member

Craig Bothy,

plenty of rooms, an outhouse round the back a largely level walk/bike in, and some interesting features in the area

montylikesbeer

Bob Scott's bothy up from the Lin of Dee is a cracker, but does get busy.

To add a little bothies can be old drovers stop off points, or estate buildings, or in one case a disused coastal look out point, they are varied.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Ambrose I may have used some of your coal earlier this week …. thank you it was great 😀

Stuart

juan
    Free Member

Glen thanks for that. So it's basically a "refuge" 😀
    Can you find one with a bath of some sort 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Can you find one with a bath of some sort
    Here's the bath next to Meanach bothy.

Swello
    Free Member

the bothy at Corryhully is the only one I've seen with Electricity (it has a toaster IIRC!), and it's easy to get to. Not quite the same "wild" experience though 🙂

13thfloormonk

That depends Swello, rock up to Glenfinnan monument at 11pm and walk to Corryhully in the dark with a bottle of JD for company, and suddenly it seems like the most epic bothy in Scotland!

I'd be tempted to say Sourlies. The effort required to get there would be more than made up for by just being there, at christmas.

(that was not a serious suggestion)

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>how do you know it's a bothy?<

Apart from the secret handshake it's generally rather obvious. There are exceptions like Glas Allt Shiel for example (part of a royal residence)

davidrussell
    Free Member

lets hope publicising the bothy locations doesn't lead to an increase of nuggets frequenting them…

unfortunately many of them are too close to the road sometimes

GlenMore
    Free Member

Not a good idea to publish a GPX file with all the Grid Refs then?

davidrussell
    Free Member

most of the nuggets can't read a map 🙂 but i wouldn't recommend it.

davidrussell
    Free Member

oh well, guess someone has then.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>walk to Corryhully in the dark with a bottle of JD for company,<

Jeez if that's the p1sh your average STW takes into bothies I certainly wouldnt be advertising GR's on here

takisawa2

Do they have en-suites ?
    Whats the Wi-Fi coverage like ?

jojoA1
    Free Member

Thanks Ambrose, but it needs to be in Scotland as we live up here and will only be doing it for a couple of days.

I do know a fair few of the bothies and had considered the one in the Torridon area up from Coulags that's been mentioned. Many of the ones I know are quite popular and accessible and I've had less than desireable nights there with some less than desireable other occupants. That's ok when it's just me and some mates, but we're taking the kids so seemed like common sense to avoid the 'party' bothies especially at a time of year when people will more than likely be enjoying a few 'swallies' and not want the bairns there to inhibit them.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Craig Bothy,

plenty of rooms, an outhouse round the back a largely level walk/bike in, and some interesting features in the area

That was also going to be my recommendation, coming from the south. The walking from the north at Redpoint is nice but not one for the bike, plus it's also longer.

Ambrose

Glen More- cute, I like.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Which bothy for Christmas?’ is closed to new replies.