Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)
  • Which books(if any) have moved you…
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Sputnik Sweetheart – Haruki Murakami

A tale of unrequited love. And a bit close to true life in parts.

noteeth
    Free Member

Also, I have a very strong personal link to the Burma Star Association.

Aye, same here – my late grandfather: Major Noteeth RA & Indian Army.

GMF – great company, I’m sure. He’d have had a thing or two to say about Bliar’s foreign adventures (and he did on occasion, iirc).

Philby

The Kite Runner
    To Kill a Mockingbird

myheadsashed

Early One Morning- Robert Ryan

and based on a true story.

TheGingerOne

Highly recommend Primo Levi – ‘If this is a man’ his account of the year he spent as a prisoner in Auschwitz

Can then be followed by ‘The Truce’ – his experiences returning from the concentration camp at Auschwitz

Incredibly moving story.

Bunnyhop

Papillon by Henri Charrier- made me blubber. Banco the follow up was awful imo.

I’m reading Stuart Maconie’s – Adventures on the high teas at the moment, it’s very funny and seems to have a few pages about cycling at the beginning.

JulianA
    Free Member

Neville Shute – On The Beach (all his books are excellent)

higgo
    Free Member

Betty Blue: where the film is episodic, the book is one remorseless slide – you know exactly where it’s going to end and every page takes you nearer.

Catch 22: the last (or last but one) chapter when he’s wandering around Rome …

Cancer Ward (Solzhenitsyn): well it was never going to be a barrel of laughs, I suppose.

noteeth
    Free Member

Anna Karenina is the only book I’ve ever read which changed my outlook on life.

Often cited as the greatest novel of ’em all! And for good reason…

geoffj

The Farm by Richard Benson is worth a read

kennyp
    Free Member

The ending of The Grapes Of Wrath. Possibly the most moving bit of writing I’ve ever read. That and the bit where Tom departs from his mother.

bumley
    Free Member

Foxy – I loved he time travellers wife!

Marley and me made me cry.

Step on a crack by James Patterson made me sob.

And Charlie Richardson’s book made me howl, for all the wrong reasons!

trickydisco
    Free Member

This book

really had me.. really couldn’t put it down. Very moving

Also

and i’m not even into climbing

andrew
    Free Member

Oh! John Crowley’s Little, Big just resurfaced in my memory; Jack Kerouac’s Dharma Bums also. Both moved me but not in an immediately obvious way – more of a broadening of conceptual perspective in the case of Little, Big and moved me off my fat ass when i was in my late teens in the case of Dharma Bums.

peajay

Marley and Me made me cry, guess thats cos I have a lab, can really recommend “The Feather Men” most amazing read well worth looking out,
    PJ.

biggulp
    Free Member

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason. First hand account of a US helicopter pilot in Vietnam.

Surfr
    Free Member

I surprised myself by blubbing along with Ellen MacArthur when reading Taking on the World ( http://www.librarything.com/work/123453 ). Can’t really explain it other than the emotional journey she took during the book to compete in the Vendee Globe was a journey I shared. I’ll go MTFU now.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m not quite sure which bit(s) of Joe Simpsons The Beckoning Silence would move you?. If it’s the brief accounts of the early attempts on the north face of the Eiger, then you should read The White Spider by Heinrich Harrer (writer of Seven years in Tibet and one of the first successful climbers of the NF of the Eiger), that gives a much more detailed account of all the horrors of those first attempts and subsequent ones. Also read Joe Simpsons This Game of Ghosts. Presumably you have read Touching the Void?.

Anyway, Touching the Void is a must read (there’s also now a docu film). Both the film and the book can reduce you to tears at the shear helpless plight of Joe Simpson, especially when he dragged himself back to camp during the night, called out for help from his friend, there was no response, so he laid there waiting to die. He was obviously deeply moved in the docu film when he recounts the moment.

jedi

man and boy

aP
    Free Member

Last Exit to Brooklyn
    Junky
    Primo Levi (all of them)
    Wasp Factory
    Strangers and Brothers
    oh, the list is endless……

peajay

Second, Chicken Hawk.

seven
    Free Member

The book theif.

even though it told you what would happen at the end halfway through (and kept reminding you) still moved me deeply when it got there.

Travis

The Good Women of China by Xinran. It’s a collection of short stories when she worked as a radio presenter on a phone in show in China back some time ago.
    Everyone who I know has read this was seriously moved, even some of my ‘bigger, harder’ friends.

Kite Runner was also a good one, better than the movie (which was also good)

Touching the Void is just an awesome read, and a lesson to others.

Looks like I’m going to have to get The Grapes of Wrath and Time Travellers Wife as they seem to pop up a fair bit.

Trampus
    Free Member

“Round the Bend” by Neville Shute.

DrJ

Lovely Bones

mrsflash
    Free Member

Try The Book Thief. Also have just read A Thousand Splendid Suns which is excellent.

However I have just given up on Post Birthday World, by the author of Kevin, becuase it was rubbish.

woffle
    Free Member

Another fan of Primo Levi here.

When I was about nine years old Greyfriars Bobby had me in tears.

bartat
    Free Member

some good stuff already named, i’d add ‘Disgrace’ by Coetzee

juan
    Free Member

Well le petit prince was quite touching. Plus les paradis artificiels… The later made me contemplate suicide in a way too serious manner.
    Since I only read SF at least I am sure I won’t kill myself.

RustySpanner

Timoleon Vieta come home, by Dan Rhodes was the last one that made me blink my eyes in a manly fashion.
    Never owned a dog, either.

BTW noteeth and Flashy, my ol’dad was a Captain in the RA during WW2 and was attached to the Burma Rifles, amongst others.
    I’ve still got his old Urdu phrasebook from OCTU along with some handwritten diaries. Now they are truly terrifying.

andrew
    Free Member

Since I only read SF at least I am sure I won’t kill myself.

Perry Rhodan’s horrible mangling of the English language has given me pause for thought in the past.

Books that have moved me into dark corners of the soul would have to include Ellis’ American Psycho and Thomas Ligotti’s My Work is Not Yet Done

BlobOnAStick

The Book Thief.

I haven’t cried since I was a kid (I may be emotionally stunted) but this got me.

Pigface
    Free Member

A Dangerous Vine by Barbara Ewing

voiplondon
    Free Member

Cry – no but after reading Blood River last summer I think I sat still for about 30 mins and thought about the current situation in the Congo and other places in Africa.

MrBlond
    Free Member

The unbearable lightness of being
    The Sopranos (Alan Warner, not James Gandolfini)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Agree with Birdsong and Touching the Void, but the one that – most recently – moved me was The Shack. I’m not religious so don’t be put off by the religious angle of this, it is a really uplifting read. Granted I have become much more of a wuss since having kids (if you read it you’ll understand) but for all faiths – even those with “none” – I can recommend it.

Life Of Pi was another goodie

samuri
    Free Member

Yep, The time Travellers wife wet my eyes at the end, very good book with a sad ending. I really cared about them.

American psycho moved me in another way. Properly scary book, threw it away when I’d finished it.

Papillon had me engaged from start to finish. I read it straight through the night, even cancelled some appointments the next day so I could finish reading it.

andrew
    Free Member

Hmm, the more I think about it the more books occur. Two music biographies: Lost in the Woods (Syd Barrett) and Eye Mind (Roky Erickson).

FoxyChick
    Free Member

First time I’ve had a chance to have a look at this thread since last night.
    Bizarrely today, a colleague suggested I might read “Life of Pi” and has lent it to me…mentioned a couple of times on here.
    Thanks for all replies to this thread…some inspiration for when I next visit my LBS!! (book, not bike!) 8)

lyons
    Free Member

Captain Flasheart – you sound like an idiot talking like that. SOme people just quite simply dont enjoy reading, maybe they spemnd their time drawing or making music… I have alot of friends who dont read at all, but it doesnt make them any less intelligent than you…

Anyway for me my favourite booke ever, and the only one that has brouught me even close to tears is ‘Never let me go’ by Kazuo Ishiguro. Its an amazing book, and very very sad, but still funny and happy. Just read it.

Other than that ‘I am Legend’ by Richard Matheson was to me a very sad, moving book, but in a totally different way. And its nothing like the film which shoudl be called ‘ I am Will Smith’.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘Which books(if any) have moved you…’ is closed to new replies.