Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)
  • Which books(if any) have moved you…
  • FoxyChick
    Free Member

..to tears?
    Just finished reading “We need to talk about Kevin” by Lionel Shriver.(Recommended by MrsFlash)
    It’s not often that I read every single word of a book wihout skim reading the odd paragraph.
    But every sentence (IMO) is so amazingly constructed I didn’t want to miss one single word.
    But then, at the end there is a twist, which made me gasp and fill up with tears. I have cried for the last half hour. It is a book which will haunt my thoughts for weeks to come.
    The only other book which has had a similer effect is “The time traveller’s wife”.
    So, anyone else reacted to a book like this?
    If so, which ones?

Yes, I know, I need to MTFU!! 😉

noteeth
    Free Member

The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy.

The ending still demolishes me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There was a piece in this

which truly took my breath away. I would wholeheartedly recommend the book, even if you don’t “get” cricket. It’s a hilariously funny book with an ending and a half.

millsonwheels
    Free Member

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks got to me.
    I have also read We need to talk about Kevin and the end is shocking and so so sad.

taka
    Free Member

animal farm i cry because nepolian scares me… 😥 but lord of the flys bit sick

sharki
    Free Member

Never been close to tears, but ‘the Loop’ tried to get me there.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

another birdsong here, one of the finest war stories ever told.

Guilliano
    Free Member

Reading what Andy McNab went through in “Bravo Two Zero” made me feel sick and realise what an incredibly brave person you have to be to stick it in the Special Ops teams. “Sleepers” is another true story that really shocked me, again written by someone that lived through it.

Solo
    Free Member

Not read any books that have moved me.

But I could never watch the green mile again.
    (apollogies if this is strictly a book-only thread)

Solo.

bigeyedbeans
    Free Member

‘grapes of wrath’ i blahhed like a baby at the closing chapter 😳

chvck
    Free Member

Last Human (Red Dwarf) by Doug Naylor 😳

Garry_Lager

Cormac McCarthy as mentioned writes some heavy shit. I’d pick Suttree as the most moving – it’s his most autobiographical work and the one he really poured his heart and soul into as a writer.

noteeth
    Free Member

I’d pick Suttree as the most moving

Ah yes – must read that.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Unfortunately Bravo Two Zero was mostly fiction Guilliano.

Not read a moving book I can think of. The Mission is the most moving film I’ve seen.

andrew
    Free Member

Fahrenheit 451
    Moments of Reprieve – Primo Levi

keep meaning to check out Cormac McCarthy; must do so soon

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Agree with Noteeth – “The Crossing” has an unbearably sad ending.

Best of the Border Trilogy, I’d say, but still prefer “Blood Meridian” (even if it doesn’t move me to tears, exactly…)

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Birdsong for sure, Catch 22 – don’t ask me why about that one, just did!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

SteveTheBarbarian – Member
    Unfortunately Bravo Two Zero was mostly fiction Guilliano.

And McNab is a c**k

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I couldnt put CHILD 44 down –

FoxyChick
    Free Member

The books I have mentioned are the only books I have ever read which have really ‘moved’ me. And I read lots and lots of books.
    I was really shocked tonight by my reaction.
    When I finished “The time traveller’s wife” I was upset for a whole day, and my family thought I was completely nuts!! 😳

avdave2

Another vote for The Grapes of Wrath.

And I cried with laughter all the way through Spike Milligans Adolf Hitler my Part in His Downfall. There were moments when I lost the ability to breath.

Garry_Lager

Agree The Crossing and Blood Meridian are awesome. I reckon The Road is also at that level, although it’s a simpler book. I know some hardcore McCarthy fans who didn’t like it.

The Road is coming out as a film is it not? I also heard that a Blood Meridian film was in the works – would be amazed if someone could pull that one off on the screen.

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

“We need to talk about kevin” really surprised me. I wasn’t sure what i was getting into (i’ve been caught out with books that have definately been aimed at women and have turned into some slushy romance novel) but this had me hooked from teh first couple of chapters.

The (some would call it) twist really got me and i felt emotional for a good hour afterwards.

The only other book to do that to me was Norewgian Wood by Haruki Murukami, just on bit in the book that i really didn’t see coming, and it also reminded me a lot of my younger years

*sniff* 😥

taka
    Free Member

ive only ever read 2 whole books which i chose to read and about another 3 at school garfield comic and lord of the flys

noteeth
    Free Member

would be amazed if someone could pull that one off on the screen

I’d be amazed if any actor could do, er, justice to the character of The Judge.

Terrifying creation.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I just don’t think it can be done Garry_L…

How do you portray The Judge on film, along with all his depravities.

How do you visually portray the Comanche attack (an awe-inspiring piece of prose)?

(Sorry for hijack, FC!)

lookmanohands
    Free Member

One step beyond by chris moon-gets his arm/leg blown off de mining, full on insperational read. Any books joe Simpson has written…awsome

FoxyChick
    Free Member

aslongasithaswheels…I really wasn’t expecting the whole “Celia and Dad” bit at the end…I was so engrossed in the way the book was written etc, I hadn’t really thought much about the “plot”.
    May now have to re-read it.
    But like the film “Sixth Sense”…once you know it’s obvious!!

noteeth
    Free Member

Haruki Murukami

Good call – strangely consoling, even at his most melancholy.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

tom (taka) – Member
    ive only ever read 2 whole books which i chose to read and about another 3 at school garfield comic and lord of the flys

You sad, sad little man. Go and read, expand your mind.

noteeth
    Free Member

sad little man

Could actually be a kid, CFH!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

OK, fair point, but still rather sad! To be old enough to be on here and yet to admit to such a pathetic limit of literary endeavour is rather sad.

Unless, of course, it was said in jest.

furry_marmot
    Free Member

The ending to Dr. Zhivago (by Boris Pasternak) had the backs of my eyes prickling ever so slightly. and I’m not usually the emotional type…

noteeth
    Free Member

To be old enough to be on here and yet to admit to such a pathetic limit of literary endeavour is rather sad.

*has flashback to TinTin thread…. 😳

noteeth
    Free Member

One for you, Flashy:

FoxyChick
    Free Member

I now have to find something else to read!!
    Think I’ll have to try “Grapes of Wrath” as it’s mentioned on here so often.

The worst/best bit when reading a book(IMO!) is when you are about 40 pages from the end..you’re desparate to get to the end, but then know it’s over! Like most good things in life I suppose! 😉

taka
    Free Member

🙁 got better stuff to do than read like fetteling my bikes, riding them, polishing them, gorping at them, and other weired and wonderful things not (reliving myself) for you dirty minds aka racing_ralph ect… stalker

furry_marmot
    Free Member

Anna Karenina (Tolstoy), And Quiet Flows the Don (Mikhail Sholokhov) and The Bridge Over The Drina (Ivo Andric) are all very powerful too. In fact, although it’s less emotionally touching than Dr. Zhivago I think Anna Karenina is the only book I’ve ever read which changed my outlook on life.

However, the real tragedy here is that for the past 6 years I haven’t read anything more profound than Nature, Science or Physical Review Letters 😕

mandog

I haven’t read a book that’s moved me.

As we’re talking about books, for anyone who enjoys a “romantic novel” I can highly recommend Dirty Havana Trilogy by Pedro Juan Gutierrez and the sequel Tropical Woman. The chapter about the American Tourist with the prosthetic cock was particularly entertaining.

Cocaine Train by Stephen Smith was also very good.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

tom (taka), you appear to have missed “Learning the English language” from your list of better things to do.

Read. Read a lot. It will do you the world of good and make you a better person.

noteeth, I was lucky enough to have met GMF on a number of occasions and have his complete works. A superb historian and a great storyteller, a fine combination. Also, I have a very strong personal link to the Burma Star Association. That’s a fine read.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘Which books(if any) have moved you…’ is closed to new replies.