Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Which bike would you get rid of and why?
  • Blackflag
    Free Member

Im currently looking at a 2nd hand Solaris, but we have a strict 1 in 1 out policy in the house (enforced by she who must be obeyed).

Current line up is..

On One Codeine 29 – Ace going down
    Cotic Soul 26 – great for local area and recently had new forks and brakes (sunk cost issue)
    Pinnacle Arkose – 1×10 Cross / Gravel great for winter
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon – Great for spinning along lanes in the summer.

Or would you just not bother with the Solaris???

shortcut

I would get rid of the Soul because the others meet different needs. The Solaris is just a grown up Soul so you don’t need that one.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I would get rid of the Soul because the others meet different needs. The Solaris is just a grown up Soul so you don’t need that one.

I’d agree, on the same basis.

thomthumb
    Free Member

+1

iainc

I would also say Soul, but there’s not much value in a 26’er, so maybe not worth it ?

harryjan
    Free Member

Agreed with shortcut,

I’ve a Codeine and a Solaris and they complement each other really well.

Could always buy a Solaris frame only, transfer components you can from the Soul and sell the rest?

Are you happy with the Codeine? My plan at present is to replace mine with a enduro setup Rocket 650b next year, and move the beefier wheels/fork/brakes to the solaris as a beefier trail bike for local stuff/trail centres (Not racing enough now to need the lighter build).

Blackflag
    Free Member

But i spend a lot on the soul in the summer. New forks (Revelations, not cheap) and XT disc brakes. I suppose i could move the discs to the 2nd had solaris but the whole sunk cost thing would do my head in.

brakes
    Free Member

the Soul is the obvious choice, but I wouldn’t bother – I have a 26 Soul and would never part with it as it’s a wonderful bike. the Solaris just has bigger wheels.

iainc

what will the Solaris do that the Soul can’t ?

Blackflag
    Free Member

“what will the Solaris do that the Soul can’t ?”

Probably nothing. Maybe thats the answer.

Rubber_Buccaneer

But i spend a lot on the soul in the summer

Sounds like you should have saved that money for a Solaris

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

road bike…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

road bike obvs

edit: as above

chakaping
    Free Member

Soul +1

But maybe the Codeine as well.

Kahurangi

I would:

get rid of the Synapse carbon and buy a 2nd set of wheel or tyres for the Arkose.

Then:

Not buy the Solaris because the Soul and Coedine and Arkose have it covered.
    Or sell your Soul as well.

mattjg
    Free Member

Sounds like you really like your Soul, so keep it and ride it to death. Skip the Solaris.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’d skip the Solaris, I’ve read more than once about people replacing a Soul with a Solaris and not being bowled over.

SirHC

Would take all the good bits off the soul, fit to the the solaris and move the soul on.

Other option is to move the synapse on, the pinnacle can do that job

Blackflag
    Free Member

Sounds like you really like your Soul, so keep it and ride it to death. Skip the Solaris.

This is very accurate.

epicyclo

Have you considered a bigger house to avoid this trauma? 🙂

hodgynd
    Free Member

I would man up and get rid of the Mrs …I mean whats more important long term ..your own happiness & well being or living in a dictatorship .. 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bin the road bike, put 150mm pikes on the soul, use the Solaris for bikepacking. All bases covered then.

garage-dweller

You have 4 bikes + 1 wife = 5

On a 1 in / 1 out basis

Have you considering getting rid of 1 wife instead?

Edit. Missed hodgynds post!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

“sunk cost” this is an adult toy (not a sex toy, that’s different) so a waste of money anyway, so waste it well and get the Solaris, 29ers are miles betterer. Also build the soul into a single speed then you NEED another bike

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Which bike would you get rid of and why?’ is closed to new replies.