Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • which bike should I buy??
  • jonwhite
    Free Member

Can anyone suggest a decent full suspension (160 – 180 travel) for around £2000?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

buy a decent full suspension (160 – 180 travel) for around £2000. happy to help

nickf
    Free Member

There aren’t that many at the 180 mark, and none that I can think of at £2k.

So no, I can’t help.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mboy
    Free Member

Despite fear of getting shot down in flames by everyone else on here, if you’re really struggling for imagination bearing in mind there are LOTS of bikes out there that will fit your bill, go and buy a copy of “What Mountain Bike” and flick through the data/spec pages in the back. You’ll at least have a handful of ideas then you might want to try out.

z1ppy

unfortunately Mboy, WhatMTB have removed the data again, as they tend to do…. before returning it again several months later.

BUT currently they recommend as there “aggressive full sussers”: the Giant Reign (150mm), Specialized Pitch (150mm) and Saracen Ariel (140mm) get mentioned and are around or less then 2K.. you’d want MBR or MTBR for 160-180mm travel reviews as a rule…

loddrik
    Free Member

150mm is as much as anyone should need unless you are only DHing.

5lab

150mm is as much as anyone should need unless you are only DHing.

interesting. I had 180mm on my bike (before it snapped) and rode all sorts, from dh to the sdw in a day. Would a shorter travel bike not have snapped?

The-remedy
    Free Member

Allterrain cycles have a trek scratch 8 coil for £2000 if thats any good
    http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/122167.html

jedi

anything can/will break given time

ivantate
    Free Member

There were some good offers on Devinci recently. A mate has one and they look really good.

transporter13
    Free Member

my vote is for a scott voltage fr….they ride really well

jonwhite
    Free Member

thanks, much appreciated.

mbydmt
    Free Member

http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/santa-cruz-bullit–frame/4887#description
    A Bullit, seems like SCruz are stopping production now though as I can’t find it on their drop down menu on their website.
    But for £900 on top of the £1100 price you could have your own tailor made build, i.e. some totems (£250/300 second hand), proIIs on 721s or similar and the full build, except for the forks you’d probably have enough to get it all new, would be higher spec than most bikes around £2K. If you need the totems look on southerndownhill/pinkbike ( 😳 )

marco
    Free Member

Canyon strive – about &2200 for the ES8
    Had mine a few weeks and love it

thecrackfox
    Free Member

Genius LT 40?

null

oldishbodyyoungmind
    Free Member

Hi,
    I hear that Transition make some awesome bikes with this suspension range. I think their TR250 even lets you adjust the travel to suit your riding. It seems they don’t snap either which always helps!

One of my mates told me they were going to lease one of these over 2 years because he couldn’t afford to buy one outright. I know, it sounded odd to me too.

I’m not sure what he decided to do but might be worth a look. Try googling something about bike leasing or transition bikes leasing. Something about it pops up. It’s certainly another option!

RustyMac

What about this Lapierre Froggy?

Dunno if it is the right size but well within budget

toys19
    Free Member

yeah the transition covert frame is £1400, but you might be able to get a dealer to throw in lots of extras but even with some inspired scrounging/2nd hand purchases you would struggle to build one up for 2k.

I have a covert and love it, but it cost more than 2K.

Was cycling with some pals in Morzine who were on Saracen Ariels as suggested above, they look good. My borhter has a pitch which can be bought for much less than 2k. And any giant bike I have owned (3) and all the others I know of (another 7) have all been excellent value for money.

_tom_
    Free Member

Bullits are 180mm each end and could probably be picked up for under your budget but second hand I’m guessing – I got a 2004 frame + 2003 boxxers and other goodies for £390. Not the best for pedalling around on though, it’s a bit bobby and slack!

oldishbodyyoungmind
    Free Member

Hi, just spoke to my mate.
    He plumped for the TR250. Speccd it up to be worth £4.5k
    He’s paying £19.50 a week over the 2 year lease. He also paid a £1125 deposit.
    So he’ll be paying £3153 in total. He said he went for it ‘cos he can change it after 2 years for a new one and he’s keeping over a grand of his cash for himself instead of paying it off on interest free.
    That’s still some way over your 2 grand budget. Might be worth considering for a cheaper bike/frame? I’m not sure how the numbers would stack up but it looks to me like this crowd lets you get a better bike for the same money. The only downside is that you don’t own it. But then again, I wonder how much any downhill/freeride bike would be worth after 2 years so the numbers might stack up.

toys19
    Free Member

re bullits etc – This is in danger of descending into some wrong advice, you could build any number of 2nd hand full sussers for 2k or less, easily. And bullits are ace, had two myself. But I think he wanted a new ready built bike?

5lab

if you want a bullet you can get them way cheaper than £1100. I think they’re about £750 on the probikeshop (frame only, only S and M size)

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Lapierre Spicy 216? Always gets rave reviews.

Or Merlin have a lot of Commencal frames for around £1k that could be fully built up for under £2k.

Giant Reign X, Trek Remedy….In or around the £2k mark, can’t believe there aren’t a lot more choices if you think about it.

mbydmt
    Free Member

Only smalls on pbs, £880 – checked earlier, but yes, considerably cheaper, £1120 is easily enough for a build kit, but as others have said it depends if you want a full build all new straight away or a more custom build.
    Having owned a Reign X I can thoroughly recommend them, by far the best suss frame I’ve owned, and I would urge you to stay away from Commencal Meta 6.6s

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘which bike should I buy??’ is closed to new replies.