Which bike shop will let me down?

Home Forum Bike Forum Which bike shop will let me down?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Which bike shop will let me down?
  • Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

After my not so trustee Kona Kapu died of aacracked drop out I have had to sort an alternative. Frame<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> build shopping list weborder courier race to get me a hack bike for holiday departure on Friday 20 July. All parts ordered Friday 6 July at about 2.30pm.</span>

Planet X RT58 frame fork and some oddments like cable guides.

Wiggle headset and some carbon assembly paste

Tredz crown reducer and seat clamp with rack mount

All orders confirmed but nothing picked or dispatched yet.

My money is on Tredz to screw this up.

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

took a gamble on tredz yesterday for a new tyre, it was showing as “instock”

Title should read “Which online shop will let me down?”

😉

canna

Have to say tredz came through with a full group set with next day as for crc I paid next day only for them to say it was coming but to then change my dpd delivery till the next day ! What made me laugh was they changed delivery not me but my email said I had .  if you say next day then do it ! Back to local bike shop now as they give me a coffee 👌

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

Can anyone interpret Tredz speak?

“We are currently processing your order and we are expecting to despatch it to you on 12/07/2018”

Does that mean, we’ve ordered it from the wholesaler and will send it when we have received it?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Does that mean, we’ve ordered it from the wholesaler and will send it when we have received it?]

yep, now where is that total surprise gif….

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

on 12/07/2018

American date format, 7th December? 🙂

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

Tredz updated my last order with that too. Although I think it ended up being delivered the day they said they’d dispatch it. So although overall delivery time was a fair bit longer than I hoped (I ordered rims from CRC a couple of days after ordering a hub from a Tredz and they arrived much quicker), they came through quicker than they subsequently promised.

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

my order has been dispatched

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

Last thing I ordered from Tredz it delivered within a couple of days.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Last thing I ordered from Tredz it delivered within a couple of days.

and the last thing I tried to order I cancelled after they told me (without saying) that they didn’t have stuff in stock and merely ordered it from where I could order it from and post it out 7 days later for a saving of about 50p.  Fine if they actually tell you that but they don’t so struck from the list.

atlaz

Colleague ordered a load of parts from all over for a new build. Frame, custom painted arrived from China before his Wiggle order (even though it was “in stock”)

spooky_b329

I’ve had 2 or 3 bad experiences with Tredz, and now avoid like the plague!  They slipped in a 60 day delay for stock as if it would be despatched just a day late!

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

PlanetX, Wiggle & Tredz. There’s only one way to find out, fight!

Of online shops though, Wiggle/CRC are potentially more reliable on stock as they tend to hold the stock themselves. Though I’ve had Wiggle mess up with the wrong item, but was resolved fairly well. Was clearly a case of two boxes on the shelf looking similar.

The rest of the online bike world quote stock based on either their smaller warehouse or mainly what their supplier quotes. I’ve had a number of times problems getting stuff from a particular shop where it’s listed in stock, then they later say it isn’t, try other shops and they’re all saying the same or show in stock but I ask and then they say it isn’t. The supplier stock system is at fault basically.

LBS can be similar. Shop says they can get the thing in next day or day after, then ring up and their supplier doesn’t have it in stock, will be a week or two etc.

Amazon maybe an exception. Didn’t use to consider them for bike stuff but they’ve been getting a lot more stuff now, especially parts for repairs. What’s quoted in stock is in my experience always in stock. That’s the stuff fulfilled by Amazon, i.e. in their warehouse even if sold by a third party.

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

Planet X in pole position with a dispatch notice. Nothing yet from Tredz or Wiggle.

nowad

Planet x have been absolutely spot on recently.

samuelr

I have never had any problems with tredz. Maby im lucky. I tend to order from the european sites more now as they have more stuff in stock. I can’t believe how little stock crc/wig have now.

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

Stealth Wiggle package arrived today. Yodel have Planet X delivery at their Depot.

All quiet from Tredz.

woodster

Tredz is always a gamble, it has to be cheap before I’ll consider using them. Wiggle have been pretty good for me recently and Planet X have caused me more issues than any saving is worth.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

Yodel have Planet X delivery at their Depot.

And with that, all the good work comes undone.

Haze

Tredz is always a gamble, it has to be cheap before I’ll consider using them

Cheap, non-urgent and unavailable anywhere else!

P-Jay

I guess I’m late to the party, but I always knew it would be Tredz, frankly they’re past inept, either they’ve got total villains working for them (they are Swansea based I suppose) because they lose stock like a sinking cargo ship, or they’d quite happy to take money from customers and work out how they’re going to get the stock later.

They’ve got a 100% failure record with me Online. Wheelies their pseudo loss adjuster / most expensive bike shop in the world alter-ego are if anything worse.

They do have one single redeeming feature though, they have a physical shop reasonably close to me in Cardiff which opens on a Sunday when most LBSs in Cardiff don’t – they will also price-match their own website, so in a pinch I walk in, and if I can lay my hands on it, I’ll buy it at the web price.

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

Wheelies were appalling as the sole shop option for the Mrs’ cycle to work scheme bike – a proper bunch of useless dicks. Its one thing cocking something up, but its another to cock up rectifying it. I won’t bore you with the details, but it is ultra basic retail skills failure.

Perhaps I should’ve learnt from that and not ordered from Tredz…

Oh and Yodel have changed their tracking from ‘it will be delivered Thursday’ to ‘it is out for delivery today’ – awesome tracking skills! It needs a signature, but I guess if anyone is after a free bike frame – try my shed at about 5pm before I get back from work.

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

tredz order arrived today.

philjunior

I’m going for none of them to let you down, but something unexpected not to fit the new build.

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

@philjunior – so far so good!

Tredz order is dispatched and includes a seat clamp and now unnecessary crown reducer as the Planet X forks came with one.

Planet X frame needed the standard home refinishing to file excess paint from the internal faces of the dropoits to get the back wheel in. But other than that is looks to be quite a tidy alloy frame for £89.

ChunkyMTB

Good to know PX quality control is still the same.  Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy 🙂

phil5556

It was Trees that let us down a couple of weeks ago. Ordered a couple of frame bags, in stock paid for next day delivery….

Nothing shows up, phoned and they apologized but said it would leave on Monday. Tuesday, nothing arrives. Phone again, “we think it’s here, but can’t guarantee it will leave today”. 🙄 Order cancelled.

Reordered from Evans (I think) arrived next day with no drama.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Tredz have been even worse since Halfords bought them

nigew

Tredz have been even worse since Halfords bought them

I didn’t know that!

Maybe that’s why my recent warranty claim with Tredz took 3 months of ineptitude to sort out!

daern

The daft thing is that, after Wiggle/CRC, my next most-used cycle shop is….Halfords!

The reasons are easily stated:

1. They have a store nearby
    2. They have quite a wide range of stuff that you can order for store collection (FOC) within a few days
    3. They are often as cheap as anywhere else (bought my last Eagle groupset from them)
    4. BC discount is applicable, on top of anything else you can wangle
    5. Returning stuff is less faff than online, which has been useful in the past

My local store are friendly, and while that’s a long, long way from saying that I’d trust my bike to them, they’ve always been courteous and helpful, calling me up when an order arrives in store. The one big downside is that their in-store stock is often pretty naff, although they are ok for things like bottles and tubes (they’ll match the online price anyway, so no need to mess about).

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

The bike is built and rides quite nicely. However I have some aesthetic issues with the rack I’ve fitted as I can’t get it level. I need to space the bottom rack mounts as it is fouling on the seatstays and preventing it from rotating forward enough to get it level.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.