Which bike for more “enthusiastic” XC riding and Megavalanche next year???!

Home Forum Bike Forum Which bike for more “enthusiastic” XC riding and Megavalanche next year???!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Which bike for more “enthusiastic” XC riding and Megavalanche next year???!
  • PeterPoddy

Pitch!
    🙂

richc

MTFU and get some Float 36 RC2’s

Olly

can i put an automation thingy on my account, so whenever it detects

5″ and a question mark, it automatically posts a reply saying

“trance X”

based purely on me having a trance and it being ace.

ive never ridden one, but i hear Meta 5s are supposed to “feel bottomless” while “only” being 5″ travel
    bottomless feeling may be nice for the mega?

Premier Icon nuttysquirrel
    Subscriber

I have been lusting after a LaPierre Zesty 514 for some time but completely overlooked Cannondale, which I quite fancied a few years ago. Are there any 5 or 6″ travel Cannondales (preferably with a Lefty?). Also been considering a cheeky Cube Fritzz.

Not looking to buy just yet but fancy a full suss for the Mega 2010 and hopefully before then. My problem is that I have only owned one full suss bike (Trek Fuel EX7 2006), which I hated – uphills were disastrous.

Alternatively, should I just man up and put some big forks on the Ti456?

Got a mate that rides the Mega every year.He fancies an Orange 5 AM.

Premier Icon neil853
    Subscriber

maybe not a popular choice but i love my ransom

rj

I’ve got a Meta 5. Buy a Trek Remedy.

specialized enduro sl.

or pitch

or a trek remedy.

Subscriber

Lapierre Zesty 514, Cube Fritzz or Stereo or Canyon Nerve so far… I want to be a little less mainstream and more European.

However, all are more 140mm travel (apart from Fritzz) than 160mm. Do you think that will make a big difference?

robhughes

08 wolfridge never mentioned on here but it,s fekin great to ride.

z1ppy

Cannondale Prophet is maybe the answer, but they problem being this is there last year of production (supposedly) and they’ve all flown out of the shops due to the bargain-tastic nature (well the “Prophet 2” version anyways).
    Though none are being sold currently with lefty’s, though getting hold of a 2nd hand Lefty Max is not a major problem.

The C’dale Rush though with it’s 110mm travel should not apparently be viewed as too little, as any number of ppl report they can take major abuse.

Those two are more suited toward “enthusiastic XC” IMO, though the other options is the C’dale Moto with 160mm travel or the Rize with 130mm travel & sold with the “fox” lefty. The Moto can apparently be built up very light, but if you experience with the Trek is anything to go by I’d avoid (too much travel for efficent climbing), though I have no info on how the Rize performs.

Subscriber

Sweet, thanks very much for your comments. I’ll have another look at Cannondales in particular. Ideally, I need to find demos because it’s a big decision.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d say Orange 5 or a Zesty but a Spicy would probably be better in the Mega (although over-biked for the other stuff you mention)

Subscriber

richc – Member
    MTFU and get some Float 36 RC2′

It’s not just about the manning up unfortunately – I would need the travel adjustable ones and their RRP is £840!!! Ouch. Although it’s food for thought.

grumm

I have a Pitch and love it. If I had a bit more cash I would probably have got a Meta 5 – now I would be looking at a Trek Remedy or Zesty/Spicy.

timber
    grumm

How does ‘Enthusiastic XC’ compare to ‘Aggressive XC’ by the way?

What bike for ‘Indifferent XC’? 😛

Subscriber

I don’t know, I don’t know the terms and until just now, I didn’t believe in different mountain bikes. However, I’m a big believer in living so perhaps the hardtail is a bit extreme when I don’t have any skills!

richc

my comment was very tongue in cheek, btw and yes the Fox RC2 are mental money. RockShox Lyrics on the other hand can go for < £300 sometimes.

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

My brother did Mega on his Prophet and he enjoyed – no probs with bike.

I’ve got a Rush, have no intentions of doing Mega but think the bike is great.

(btw I ride apathetic xc.)

Spankmonkey

You will get 100 answers from 100 people all different. IMHO the fritzz is spot on but a LOT of cash (the new 09) other than that I dont think you could go wrong with

Orange 5
    Fritzz
    New Remedy
    Zesty 514
    Intense 5.5
    Nomad

Now my friend is currently bikeless and cannot make his mind up between all of them, all great all around the 2.5k mark, all will do the job very very well. All will pedal up and hammer back down again and all are light. I guess for me that list is the top line All Mountain bike list. I just built up a 5.5, personally the only one I would plump for is the fritzz above that, but just my opinion. 5.5’s are not common to find, not many reviews about but that said the ones you find rave about it! you could add a IBIS mojo to the list but again not easy to get and cost a lot + they are carbon if your happy with that. Oh and yes cannondale do the moto but they are new and still overpriced imho. The list I put there they will weigh on average from about 26-31 lbs depending on finishing kit, ideally about 28lbs is great for 5″ travel, there is not much you wont be able to do with any of them!

renster

I had a rush, was ok. I now have a rize 4 with lefty and it is fantastic. imo it climbs better than the rush and descends so smooth. Don’t know where you are based but chelmer cycles normally have a demo available.

Subscriber

Sweet, thanks again guys. I’m in Central Scotland so need to find a place to get some demos done – I don’t want to be that guy who buys a bike that doesn’t fit or suit and then sell it on here for much cheapness!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Which bike for more “enthusiastic” XC riding and Megavalanche next year???!’ is closed to new replies.