Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Which bike for commuting ?
  • Raindog
    Free Member

My company has just announced they’re going ahead with cyclescheme, and I’m going to buy a new bike for commuting. It’s a 21 mile round trip, all on road, with about 1250 feet of climbing. I would like to commute year round (within reason). I don’t want to do the journey on a mountain bike, and I already have a reasonable road bike which I’m currently using for the journey. I’m thinking about a flat bar “city” bike with room for a rack, 700C wheels and mudguards. Anyone got any recommendations ?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m pretty happy with my Roadrat. Rack and mudguards are essential. 28mm Bonty hardcase tyres seem OK for the odd gravel path too.
    🙂

Raindog
    Free Member

No gears on a roadrat though, which wouldn’t suit the ride – some of the hills are quite steep, and if I picked a ratio to suit the ups I’d be spinning out all the time on the flat / downhill bits.

druidh
    Free Member

I’d be thinking about something with drop bars for that sort of distance. But you’re right to be looking for rack/mudguard mounts. How about a Kona Dew Drops?

Clink

No gears on a roadrat though

It comes with a chaintug/gear hanger – it will run a full compliment of gears!
    I’ve had mine for a few years now – my only ‘complaint’ is that it could be a bit lighter. Other than that I find it a perfect commuter – runs well with loaded panniers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Which bike for commuting ?’ is closed to new replies.