Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 220 total)
  • Which bike brand would you never, ever buy?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Overpriced niche (often uk) brands

It’s a bit like buying overpriced niche uk trousers

Having said that – I will demo a windy milla road bike soon

johnw1984
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge, I just saw that comment, I did a little clap 🙂

I never thought I’d be defending SC, but I bought one off the back of a demo as it’s the first time I’ve ever ridden a bike that I gelled with straight away.

Missus bought a very high spec Roubion CC after test riding it 6 months ago, then having an op, then saving the money up to buy it.

I’m actually glad we upset the inverse-snobby people as we cruise round on them at sub-bimbling speeds. They’ll soon be going in the back of a £1000 van, because we’ve no money left! 😆

SandyThePig
    Free Member

I’d probably never by anything ’boutique’ or ‘niche’ as I just can’t justify spending silly (£5k etc) money on bikes. So basically stuff from SC, Yeti, Nicolai and a lot of other brands are out. I’m fairly price sensitive.

Even though the current models aren’t too garish, I still don’t like the look of Ellsworth.

I thought for a while that I’d never buy a Trek due to my memories of the brand (being mostly XC orientated with a token freeride rig chucked in for good measure) but they seem to have completely changed over the past 5-10 years – recent bikes are seriously impressive bits of kit and I just bought one which I’m really happy with.

pb2

Pb2 – I seriously thought Chris King hubs were the best you could get bar none…?

They were a pain, to start with the Shimano cassette would not tighten down, got loads of flack on here from people who had never used them saying I must doing something wrong etc. Then I got confirmation from CK that I required a special spacer 🙄 Then they needed servicing more than other high quality brands and you had to find a bike shop that had a bunch of special CK tools which bumps up the hassle factor and cost.

DT Swiss, American Classic and Hadley were all excellent and far better value and the Hadley looked and sounded better and never required servicing in two years.

gwurk
    Free Member

Surly.
    Shit frame design and quality. Plus pretty much every Surly owner is a dull idiotic bore.
    Ironically. I quite liked the owners of the company when we met.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Anything that has propriety parts. Got a Cannondale that took that to extreme and having not learned my lesson bought a Scott with a DT Swiss pull shock. That got sold PDQ after the fourth rebuild in 18 months.

So now nothing is off the table as long as there are no propriety standards/non replaceable items.

alpin
    Free Member

I’d not buy Specialized. Don’t like the way they treat other firms who pose no threat to them.

Cannondale. Managed to snap three of their frames (was being paid to ride them). Don’t like the logo being plastered all over the frame and don’t like the ride of a Lefty.

Ellsworth because their designer was Isambard Kingdom Brunel

Stupidest comment ever!

If Brunel designed bikes they would likely be the most stupendous things and you could pass them on to your grandchildren in perfect working order.

shermer75
    Free Member

The brand I have fallen most out of love with is Planet X/On One, which is a shame because I used to hold them in such high regard. Looking back now I’m wondering if they have always been a bit crap, but I’m still loving riding my Inbred so maybe not!

Plus I’m still using a pair of surprisingly good and ridiculously cheap track wheels, which they don’t do any more (obvs)

Speeder

I don’t think I’ve got an irrational hatred of any marque. If I don’t like them it’s for a reason whether valid or otherwise.

Ellsworth – just look ridiculous along with poor customer service reports and dubious suspension tech claims.
    Yeti – too many dodgy suspension designs which are just trying to be different and meaning the basic design and qc go out the window. Oh and the stupid turquoise thing. I quite like the logo kind so never say never.
    Merida – it’s an own brand
    Specialized – no to cables routed under the bb
    Haibike – stupid name
    Saracen – distributors own brand

That’s not exhaustive and I may consider any of them if they’d make something incredible. I reserve the right to Change my mind at any point.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Is there a brand that hasn’t appeared here yet?

Can’t see any mention of Whyte, Salsa or Lapierre

ram13man
    Free Member

You people sheesh … Just get out and ride your bikes

epicyclo

gwurk – Member
    Surly.
    Shit frame design and quality. Plus pretty much every Surly owner is a dull idiotic bore.

I’ll bite. 🙂

There’s nothing shit about their frame designs. Conservative geometry maybe, but that’s a plus for people who are riding natural trails with a loaded bike.

They are built to last, and last they do. I’m still riding my 1998 1×1, and because they designed all their mtb frames with plenty tyre room it’s perfect for UK mud, and also has the capacity for plus size tyres.

Ditto my Pugsley. When it comes to tough conditions and the ability to carry a load it’s hard to beat, and I tend to pick it over my no-weight plastic fantastic.

Both are extremely versatile bikes. I can’t speak for their road range, but the guys I know who have them all tend to hold on to their Surlys even though other bikes pass through their hands.

The only negative is that their prices on this side of the pond are high, but in both cases when I bought them there was no other similar bike being made.

Their warranty service is pretty good too.

As for the owners being dull idiotic bores, I’m not so sure. It’s quite exhilarating to be in the company of other Surly owners when we settle into a discussion on the best material for sintered differential compression chain tugs. However we totally fail to understand irony… 🙂

d3carbon
    Free Member

Seems to be a lot of hate for Santa Cruz. They usually make well made nice looking bikes (bar the new nomad imo) and well marketed, with sponsorship deals with the right people.

But…. I have looked long and hard in the past but didn’t press the button on one as I couldn’t get my head around the pricing.
    I mean is a Nomad 3 really any better than a Capra?? More or less identical geometry but a nomad frame cost the same as a fully loaded capra.

johnw1984
    Free Member

flashinthepan, I mentioned Whyte and Lapierre 🙂

Nothing against them, they just don’t do anything for me.

This whole ” I hate this brand because someone who owned one was mean to me” thing, is a little sad.

The only knob I’ve ever met on a bike was riding a Santa Cruz ironically. Didn’t put me off 🙂

Brands don’t really factor in the decision for me. It’s more aesthetics, parts standards etc. I’ll avoid pressfit BB if I can, unless I really like the bike.

Giant is a safe bet, not a lot of their bikes really float my boat. I’d love a new 29er Anthem for clocking some mileage up on flatter stuff.

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

Don’t plan to not buy any brands, designs keep changing, the new Cubes look really neat but i’ll put it like this:
    What do I not see myself riding currently?
    -Scott
    -SC
    -pretty much every direct consumer brand
    -Niner
    -Saracen
    -Hardtails

Actually I would never buy a commencal, there just seems to be a dark side to them that I can’t grasp.

Funny thing is i’m going from a Spesh to a Trek 😀
    The companies may be dicks but they make great bikes.

manton69

No irrational dislikes, just a big bit dislike for what TREK did to Lemond. They kowtowed to Armstrong and did not back the brand, in fact they actively did not distribute it. It was not a business decision it was a political one that they have now had to do a lot of back tracking.

dans160
    Free Member

“Yeti – too many dodgy suspension designs which are just trying to be different and meaning the basic design and qc go out the window. Oh and the stupid turquoise thing. I quite like the logo kind so never say never.”

Best suspension platform i’ve ridden to date (sb6c). Nicely made too and tough (enormous off a few weeks back; it survived and I’m still recovering). Plenty will disagree I’m sure and post back links to dead Yetis etc.

Anyway, nothing further to add to my list.

PS. why do people not like Audis ? Should we add cars I’d never buy to the lists as well ?

mickmcd
    Free Member

why do people not like Audis ?

because when you put anyone in a fast one it transforms them into a massive nobend and if you put anyone in a slow one (relatively) white one they turn into a massive nobend I must admit however the RS3 I test drove was awesome service from start to finish , I don’t need audi’s help being a nobend however

RustySpanner

PS. why do people not like Audis ? Should we add cars I’d never buy to the lists as well ?

I really like some of their stuff, they make some beautiful , fantastically well engineered cars and have an amazing history.

Unfortunately, as well as normal people they seem to attract throbbers, young ****, tailgating Uber reps and blind supermums in Qubelwagens.

We’re on a cycling forum, so I doubt any owners here fall into those categories, but it’s amusing nonetheless.

Used to be BM’s, before that?

dans160
    Free Member

Oh dear…

RustySpanner

Oh shush, we enjoy it.
    😀

scud
    Free Member

One/ PX (again!)

Only company where i have had on the employees message me personally with a load of abuse as i dared to point out on Facebook an issue with my frame…

-On One Fatty Trail – frame needed a Coke can shim as seat tube too big.
    – There Holdsworth SS frame, weighed a ton, and the paint flaked off in big chunks
    – Scandal 29er frame, nice bike to ride, but daft things like the mount for the hydro brake hose under top tub, being so close to the headtube, you couldn’t physically kink the hose round enough to use it.
    – Flat pedals where the bearings were so tightly packed with grease they didn’t actually spin
    – Helmet where the peak was so big, you lost the top half of your vision!

Could go on, but they quality control and customer service is just laughable

snooze
    Free Member

Please can we go back to hating on Evils……..I’m trying to get a deal on an Insurgent frame and could do with the price coming down a bit more.

Thanks

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

They’re now driven mostly by bellends. Traditionally these sorts of people would’ve driven Vauxhalls and Fords etc. but thanks to car leasing, finance and second hand prices, you’ll now find them in Audis. They’re the sort of people who think one of life’s main goals is to own a flash car.

pb2

Stupidest comment ever!
    If Brunel designed bikes they would likely be the most stupendous things and you could pass them on to your grandchildren in perfect working order.

Why thank you.

I can only assume you are not au fait with the look of Tony Elsworth 4 bar linkage (especially the earlier ones) ? My reference point was totally visual and had nothing to do with the function or the expected lifespan of any Elsworth bike.

Just in case you struggling to get your head round the link to the look of a bridge made from steel girders try the link below and then reflect on the question the stupidest comment ever 😉

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Ellsworth-Method-Interbike-2011.html

nickc

I’ve no problems with most brands, but my heart does sink a little when I have to deal with either Crank Bros or Cane Creek though. As they seem to have given up making their products in any way usable or durable, there’s only so far the whole “We don’t have mud in So Cal” excuse can go, and it’s wearing a bit thin now. (as do their bearing “seals” after the merest hint of moisture)

bone_idle
    Free Member

Orange…………dont get why you would, you can get much better German bike for half the price, and I don’t care if the 5 is welded together by a polish man in Halifax.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Anything new.

mildred

Turner.

I loved my DW 5-spot & regretted selling it. Silverfish had no Burners in stock so I looked on the Turner US website & saw they had a number of Burner frames in my size & heavily discounted. Awesome..!

However, it stated only available to customers in the US. Mmmm I contacted them & the reply was from the man himself, Dave Turner – I asked “what will you do to get me back on your bike?” His reply was words to the effect of “nothing – order one through Silverfish when they get a new batch in”. I asked “oh, can I order on of your less than half price frames?” To which he replied no, they’re for US citizens only – UK customers have to pay the top whack retail price, and no I don’t know when we’ll be sending any more over.”

I asked if he’d send me one as a one off if I cover shipping, taxes etc. Was told it would be too much hassle and would undermine relationship with importer (again, words to that effect).

Price fixing toss pot.

swamp_boy

Epicyclo wrote:

They (Surly) are built to last, and last they do.

They should do, they’re made out of the same steel as AK47s. Probably why mine keeps going through mud and crap and is in about its 4th or 5th combination of components.

chestrockwell

Traditionally these sorts of people would’ve driven Vauxhalls and Fords etc.

So most drivers in the country then as they are two of the most popular brands. Good point, well presented.

shermer75
    Free Member

Surly.
    Shit frame design and quality.

This is the opposite of my experience

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I asked if he’d send me one as a one off if I cover shipping, taxes etc. Was told it would be too much hassle and would undermine relationship with importer (again, words to that effect).

Price fixing toss pot.
    Yes too much hassle for one sale to put at risk a legal agreement with his distributor for. If you want to buy one from the states it’s not that hard to do.

olly2097
    Free Member

Merida – I own one. It’s quite nice. Plus I never see anyone else riding one so that’s cool. I don’t own a Hyundai though.

Audi’s – seem to be desirable to my age group of the mid thirties. Need to own a white or black one on tic to show the rest of the estate that even though you are in a starter home you have well and truly arrived.

My brands of dislike;

Trek – Don’t know why. Don’t like the word.
    Cotic – watching people on here going on and on and on about them makes me never want to own one.
    Santa Cruz. – overpriced.

snaps
    Free Member

Price fixing toss pot.

When was this?
    DT was only to happy to send a frame to me when I asked not to deal with Silverfish.

fotorat
    Free Member

Love my Santa Cruz and Cdale bikes

Hated and Sold: Orange/Trek/Gary fisher/Pace/

keir
    Free Member

GT. Because back in the day I was Kona, and therefore it’s tribal.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

The “brand name” they stick onto the frames.

The frames the companies design and then order them in Asia. Aluminium hardtail frames for 80 bucks a piece (when you order a “container”) and a full suspension aluminium frame for 150 bucks a piece.

From Shimano, SRAM, FOX, DT and others the “big brands” receive 80 percent rebate (compared to what we see as price tag in the www).

Huge investments into marketing, nice paint, social media crap – and sales and warranty.

Frame welding companies in Asia: maybe three or four? They crank out 90 percent of all aluminium frames?

Very strange business. The happy guys are Shimano, SRAM, Fox, DT, Formula and so on.
    The guys sticking the “brand names” on are the idiots which we – indirectly – force to “bluff” us. Selling a dream or a feel or or..

Only way for the bike brands to make the big bucks: being able to sell 3k or 4k or 5k bikes. Due to the “brand name”.
    On a 1k bike they earn maybe 150 bucks. On a 5 k bike they earn 2k…
    The whole marketing industry pushes for the 5k bike then!

Hate this marketing shit.
    Hate paying these extra “2k” for being fooled…

srshaw
    Free Member

Just jumped in at the end of this about bike brands you wouldn’t own. Err, a lot of hate for Audi. Don’t they make nice cars? I quite like my A4 anyway. Almost certainly buy another Audi next.

Back to topic. I’d always said I’d never buy a trek after Armstrong and how they shafted lemond’s business, but the speed concept is really nice and I’m really tempted. Ive never really liked specialized, and after trying to sue the roubaix cycle shop in Canada or some some place made them look pathetic, but I find their shoes fit me really well.

Planet X don’t seem to have much love, but I’ve been happy enough with my pro carbon for a few years which I bought as a frame and built up. Given the price I’d say it’s hard to complain. Not sure I’d buy another though. They are just basic Chinese frames that are available cheaper elsewhere.

I’d never buy somethin like a Merida though. A bit like buying a proton car or one them new rovers that are made in China. Actually I suppose like Planet X, which I own. At least it was cheap.

Andy

mildred – Member
    Turner.

I loved my DW 5-spot & regretted selling it. Silverfish had no Burners in stock so I looked on the Turner US website & saw etc etc etc

Wierd though, I spoke to DT about replacing my Sultan and he let me buy in their Labor day sale, held it for two months, shipped it to a hardware store near the canadian border where I collected it from a couple of days later.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 220 total)

The topic ‘Which bike brand would you never, ever buy?’ is closed to new replies.