Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Which beef for chilli?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Have to make a bit of a monster chilli to feed a group on Friday. I always think a chunky chilli (ie with finely chopped beef instead of mince) is nicer. In the past when not thinking enough about what beef to buy, it has been a bit more chewy than melt in the mouth. Has this been down to my choice of beef or how I’ve cooked it? Is it best to go for something a bit fatty and just cook at low temp for ages or is there a better way to go?

Suggestion from the forum cooks please?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Slow cooking is ace for chilli. Try using some of the less favoured cuts like shin or cheek. Shin is probably better for a chilli though, I think. Failing that, for a quicker cook version, try using some rump steak chopped up thinly.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

When I do that I use mainly mince and some chopped stewing steak.

Or mix beef and pork mince.

And get good quality mince from a butcher’s shop.

And use different beans (kidney, baked etc).

binners

They’ll never know 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah…good suggestions there guys, cheers. Mixed pork and beef…there’s an idea. Have done that when making a cottage pie with a difference. Which cut of pork? Might go for finely chopped rump and pork mixed. Always throw in a few different beans…kidney, black eyed, baked. A few chopped gherkins are always good too.

M6TTF
    Free Member

brisket is my choice of cut – the famous fat lipped chef off the tele used it in his chilli on his US tour, along with coffee and loads of spices – it’s bloody awesome and the only receipe i use now

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😆 binners 😆

chvck
    Free Member

brisket is my choice of cut – the famous fat lipped chef off the tele used it in his chilli on his US tour, along with coffee and loads of spices – it’s bloody awesome and the only receipe i use now

Got a link to said recipe?

allthepies
    Free Member

Cook it the day before serving, 24hr “aged” chilli rocks.

chvck
    Free Member

Also, throw in a couple of naga jolokais, that’ll liven up the dinner party 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It will be cooked on Thursday

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Cook it the day before serving, 24hr “aged” chilli rocks.

Agreed.

You could also pop in some chorizo instead of/as well as the chunks of beef.

brassneck

Quorn 🙂

Include some grated carrot and good chocolate too.

nickf
    Free Member

Best cut is probably skirt – works well with more strongly flavoured foods.

richc
    Free Member

personally I uses some mince and some braising steak, and leave it to cook for 5 hours or so, and then stand over night.

Worth chucking in some beer, coffee and dark chocolate as well.

maxray
    Free Member

I use shin of beef and some tenderlion pork. Nice bit of dark chocolate too…. mmmmmmmmmm

argyle
    Free Member

chuck or flank steak FTW… and some bones!

Chilli very con Carne

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for suggestions – coffee and dark chocolate are new ones for me but I’ll certainly be giving them a try. Cooking Thursday for around 5 hours then and tasting on Friday. Will report back on suggestions. 🙂

derek_starship
    Free Member

Celery is good in a chilli too – adds some substance.

Blimey I’m starvin’ now after reading this thread!

crikey
    Free Member

My tip is don’t put chocolate in. I did, after recommendations from here and it ended up tasting exactly how you might expect; like chilli with chocolate in, disgusting….

binners

Chocolate? What the hell is wrong with you people? Just substitute the chocolate for more chilli’s. You can never have too many 😀

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

Not dairy milk ffs. Some real 90% cocoa cooking stuff.

Jamie
    Free Member

My tip is don’t put chocolate in. I did, after recommendations from here and it ended up tasting exactly how you might expect; like chilli with chocolate in, disgusting….

Did you wang a crunchie in there?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ok, dark chocolate Mars bar it is then.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Did you wang a crunchie in there?

PLEASE! This is a family show!

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Don’t forget the beer. 😀

montylikesbeer

5 dried ancho chiles
    1 dried New Mexico chile
    2-1/2 cups water
    2 pounds cubed bite-size beef
    2 tablespoons peanut oil
    2 cups soaking liquid from the chiles
    2 minced garlic cloves
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon peanut oil
    1 finely minced small onion
    2 tablespoons flour
    1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano leaves; crushed
    1/4 teaspoon fine ground cumino

Note: This recipe from Northern Mexico and the Rio Grande Valley, is the grandfather of Tex-Mex Chili, which was given to us by the Mexican vaqueros driving cattle North into Texas. The name, Chile Colorado con Carne translates to “Red Chile with Meat.” Muchas Gracias, mi amigos viejo!”

Hydration of Dried Chiles:

Hydrate the dried chiles by removing the stems, the seeds and the internal placental tissue (membranes) connecting the seeds to the walls. Tear the chile walls into assorted flat pieces. Soak the pieces in enough hot (not boiling) water to cover, for about 30 minutes or until softened. Boiling temperatures can release a bitter flavour.
    Drain the hydrated chile pieces and keep covered, reserving the liquid.

Instructions:

Cut meat into bite-size pieces. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy skillet or Dutch oven. Add meat. Cook until browned. Add the chile soaking liquid.
    Cover and simmer 1 hour.
    Place chilies in blender with about ½ cup cooking stock from meat and puree the chiles.
    Add chile puree to meat and stock. Mash garlic with salt to make a paste.
    Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet. Add garlic paste and onion. Cook until onion is very tender but not browned. Add flour. Cook and stir 1 minute.
    Add onion-flour mixture, Mexican oregano and cumino to meat mixture.
    Cover and simmer 1½ hours, stirring often and adding liquid, if needed, to prevent the flour from sticking or scorching. Taste and add more salt if needed.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of the chocolate in the chilli, i’d rather just eat the chocolate while i’m cooking the chilli.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Also put a good dollop of vinegar and lime juice in whilst cooking.

I always spice my portion up (as I serve) with this…

M6TTF
    Free Member

Got a link to said recipe?

I couldn’t find the receipe online, its in one of his books. I can scan it and mail it over if you like?

CHB

We tend to use a cheap roasting joint from Sainsburys. chopped into small cubes its lovely.
    Regarding chocolate, it needs to be dark chocolate, or simply use cocoa powder (not drinking chocolate).
    A few whole milder chillies are nice too.

M6TTF
    Free Member

The fat lipped one uses a spoon of molasses for depth of flavour – works well

atlaz
    Free Member

I used big pieces of skirt and shin last time. This recipe is excellent if you can get hold of chillies but even if not, follow the rest of the recipe as the flavours are great.

http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2009/02/more-precise-texas-chili-recipe.html

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

loving some of the suggestions! especially bones, chilli marrow anyone? om nom

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Which beef for chilli?’ is closed to new replies.