Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Which Bearings kit for Spesh Epic comp 2003 frame???
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

As this my first build I’m trying to work out which kit I need to replace the bearings, Bolts and nuts on the rear of my Specialized Epic comp 2003 frame.

There seems to be 2 options

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Frame-Bolt-Replacement-Kit_42938.htm?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=Froogle02

and

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/specialized-s-works-item122395.html

Can anyone tell me which is the correct one as they both seem to look different but the description looks the same!

Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions in the search for the correct answer!

Thanking you kindly!

scruff
    Free Member
    amt27
    Free Member

better off contacting your local specialized dealer for the bolt kit, online savings are negligible,

bearings – download the frame manual off the specialized website and find a supplier on ebay, they are all standardized bearings,

tacopowell
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice….
    Popped into Summit cycles who wanna charge me £40 for the kit and up to £70 to fit,
    He said it’s not an easy job, Although I’m new to building bikes I have my doubts on this and figure It’s something I could tackle myself..

What do you think? Big job or not?

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey

The epic can be a tricky job depending on how long it has been since it’s last service.

Why are you replacing all of the bolts, normally you just change the bearings and reuse all of the nuts spacers etc.

If you can get the frame stripped then it’s a fairly easy job to change all of the bearings.

Although the spherical bearings for the shock mountin can be a bit more tricky.

kaesae
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u42Ju5WNwyU[/video]

Some mechanics use bearing thread lock or sealants if the bearings are slack, I tend to just use grease as long as the housing is a tight fit.

Just preferance really.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Not all that hard in theory however,
    As far as the bolts? I’ve not had a proper look, I’m really wanting to change the bearings and possibly the bolts, It feels like theres a little movement to the back end and figured it would need a service.

amt27
    Free Member

I used sockets and a vice to remove and install the bearings on my 2010 Epic and before that 2008 SJ.

Movement may not be the bearings, it might be the bushings on the shock (not inside the shock, but the eyelets at each end), these take quite a lot of abuse,
    bearings wear pretty quickly as they are only moving a few degrees and taking a load at the same time, so get “notchy” but still do the job,

I would not replace the bearing unless they are completely ceased, are they making a “pinging” noise, this indicates they are ceased, strip it down and find out,

another issue is alignment when replacing the bearings and putting it all back together, this can leave the wheel out of line, sometimes it’s better to get a shop to deal with this hassle, £70 aint bad heard worse,

Gribs

£110 fitted for new bolts and bearings is a good deal. When I did them on my old Enduro it was about £55 quid for the parts. All of the bearing other than the horst link ones were easy enough.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Which Bearings kit for Spesh Epic comp 2003 frame???’ is closed to new replies.