Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)
  • which bands/artists/singers make you change the channel/leave the room?
  • CountZero

Oh dear, 6Music fail shocker: Radmac show starts with bloody Oasis, now playing Manics. Shoot me, now!
    [Edit]Even worse, its Motorcycle Bloody Emptiness! What is that on about?

Coyote
    Free Member

I like Muse. Queen tribute act? Nah, much better than Queen.

I also like Mumford and Sons. Posh kids can’t do folk? Bit of inverted snobbery there.

However, One Direction I cannot stand. Rather than covering ruining a perfectly good song for Comic Relief I’d much rather they’d remade “The Human Caterpillar” with Harry Stiles right at the back so he can have some appreciate of what he has subjected by ears to! Also much of the turgid mind numbing shit that they insist on churning out on Capital 102 makes my blood boil. Not good that it’s played on the car radio. Bit like the equivalent of road rage pre-raging.

jimification
    Free Member

DezB –

RUSH! Loads of fans on here, but I find their twiddly wee guitar wankery and lispy high pitched vocals the most puke-inducing load of tosh ever.

Are you my wife?

…Dez…I think we might have the same wife!?! (unless there’s more than one person who doesn’t like Geddy’s singing, which I find unlikely)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    binners

organic355 – Member

Florence and the Machine…

it’s like an annoying posh girl at a party shouting ‘I’m really crazy and interesting’ at the top of her voice and out of tune.

…..and she ruined that Candi Statton Track.

Amen to that brother! How you can murder a classic like that without facing a firing squad for it? Its just not right!

Northwind

I’m pretty open minded about music, I understand that there’s no such thing as better/worse, and that just because I don’t like it, doesn’t mean it has no merit.

Except Nicki Minaj.

Cougar

One Direction I cannot stand

Every time I hear their name, I hear it as “wand erection” and think it’s something to do with Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley.

(And now, you will too)

Coyote
    Free Member

Nicki Minje gets a lot of coverage on Capital 102. ****.

DezB
    Free Member

…Dez…I think we might have the same wife!?! (unless there’s more than one person who doesn’t like Geddy’s singing, which I find unlikely)

However, the singing is probably the least offensive thing about them.

binners

I also like Mumford and Sons. Posh kids can’t do folk? Bit of inverted snobbery there.

There’s no snobbery, inverted or otherwise, going on. They’re just smugly, insufferably-annoyingly and murder-inducingly shite!!

The musical equivalent of a group of morris dancers outside the pub, on a nice summer evening, when you’re trying to have a quiet pint.

hallz
    Free Member

As a young child (so talking 35+) years ago now, I had an old aunt who had an irrational dislike for Benny Hill. She couldn’t stand him and would go out of the room when he was on tv. That had a big impact on me and i made a point of not wanting to ever end up like that about anything.

By and large there is hardly anything that i cant tolerate…

Except Chris Moyles.

rossi46
    Free Member

I’d much rather they’d remade “The Human Caterpillar” with Harry Stiles right at the back so he can have some appreciate of what he has subjected by ears to!

This!

Bunnyhop

These are what I refer to as the ‘Emperors new clothes’, How they ever got recording contracts I’ll never know.

The Corrs
    David Bowie
    Amy MacDonald
    Shania Twain
    REM

Edit; Forgot that tuneless Dido – arrgghh

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Bunnyhop you mis-spelled the last one

martinhutch

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY[/video]

Bunnyhop

mr potatohead – Member

Bunnyhop you mis-spelled the last one I did indeed 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

These are what I refer to as the ‘Emperors new clothes’, How they ever got recording contracts I’ll never know.

New? Have any (apart from the GENIUS that is (sorry, was) Bowie) of them released anything in the past 10 years??

Bunnyhop

Emperor’s new clothes – have you heard the story Dez?
    I don’t care if they have the latest chart topper in the hit parade , it’s all drivel to me.

Sad that so many people have written Elton, I’m guessing they’ve never gone and listened to his very early work, for example, ‘Tumbleweed connection’ album.

benjii19
    Free Member

Mick Hucknall ’nuff said!

CountZero

There’s no snobbery, inverted or otherwise, going on. They’re just smugly, insufferably-annoyingly and murder-inducingly shite!!

The musical equivalent of a group of morris dancers outside the pub, on a nice summer evening, when you’re trying to have a quiet pint.

See, that’s snobbery. They’re both maintaining a folk tradition, wether you like it or not.
    Show me a modern folk artist who doesn’t have a middle-class background.

Lifer
    Free Member

NOT A FAN BUT:

REM were part of the proper DIY scene when they started (not sure how DIY they actually were). They got their record deal by doing a hell of a lot of work in the 80s, relentless touring and recording schedules.

loum
    Free Member

The musical equivalent of a group of morris dancers outside the pub Steven Fry, on a nice summer evening, when you’re trying to have a quiet pint.

hallz
    Free Member

Sad that so many people have written Elton, I’m guessing they’ve never gone and listened to his very early work…

I guess the same applies to Paul McCartney. Both extremely talented (if not necessarily my taste) but now people dislike them for always wanting to be the ones at the party – sucking upto anyone and everyone that believes themselves to be influential.

SaxonRider

Bunnyhop – Member

The Corrs
    David Bowie
    Amy MacDonald
    Shania Twain
    REM

Edit; Forgot that tuneless Dido – arrgghh

I can understand some of these on your list, and even accept the fact that Amy MacDonald is pretty formulaic, but shouldn’t she at least be given credit for having a great voice?

In other news, I would walk out on pretty much anyone whose voice is processed through an autotuner. Which is almost everyone since 1990.

DezB
    Free Member

Sad that so many people have written Elton, I’m guessing they’ve never gone and listened to his very early work, for example, ‘Tumbleweed connection’ album

No, I haven’t listened. Cos his voice makes me cringe to my very core.

See, that’s snobbery.
    Snobbery schnobbery – who cares!?

Bunnyhop

Music is in the ear of the beholder, we’re all entitiled to have an opinion, however being of the female persuasion, I’m always right 😉

Lifer
    Free Member

CountZero – Member They’re both maintaining a folk tradition, wether you like it or not.

😆

edlong
    Free Member

For me it tends to be individual songs rather than whole artists, due to overplay by unimaginative radio stations who always play the same bloody songs.

So, when they go to adverts and say “Stay tuned, coming up after the break we’t got U2, Faith No More and Deep Purple”, I’m tuning out because, although I don’t hate any of those bands, I don’t need to hear, for the 900 millionth time, Pride (In the Name of Love), Epic and Smoke on the Water. Fair enough if they’re going to play a Joe Dolce track, I’m not expecting an obscure b-side, but for bands with multiple, successful albums…

I will, however, try and avoid anything by:

Bon Jovi
    Stereophonics
    Kings of Leon (unless from the first album)
    Foo Fighters
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers (unless One Hot Minute or earlier, which is a pretty meaningless clause since the radio only ever play Californication or later, when they went a bit rubbish and boring)
    Coldplay
    Starsailor (god they were awful)
    Athlete
    Keane

and

that Rihanna “shine bright like a diamond” one

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“Me neither Cougar, never owned any ACDC, couldn’t name a track, can’t stand the singers voice, don’t get the school boy thing, they seem like the “Clarkson” of bands*

* by that I mean music for MOR middle aged, dance like your dad, ironed be-jeaned white males.”

Strangely enough I’ve only got into them in the last 5 years. Which just so happens to be the age of my little girl.

DAD ROCKS…

Well I do to her at the moment, I believe that’ll change in half a dozen years time,…. so I’m making the most of it while I can.

But no faded pressed jeans here, still managing to get away with skinny new skool

Anyway back on topic …. eric clapton (slow hand/slow w*nk more like) … how true

Oh and James … I really, really can not stand James

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Cliff Richard. Not just his music but I class him as a “nae richter” something too squeeky clean about him.
    Anything I suspect that might be on the R1 playlist – since I stopped listening a few years back I don’t know for sure but am happy to hypothesise…
    Justin Bieber makes me want to break things he happears to have no character at all, no sense of humour and no understanding of music and what purpose it should serve in life.
    Simon Cowell and anything he has got his thermonuclear teeth into.

As note of correction I can’t beleive that David Bowie is mentioned here.. although his latest stuff is sheeeite.

Cletus
    Free Member

My Mrs has discovered Absolute 80s on DAB so I am having to suffer through Phil Collins, Foreigner, T’Pau, Eurythmics etc.

It was bad enough the first time around 🙁

pootle
    Free Member

CountZero-

Even worse, its Motorcycle Bloody Emptiness! What is that on about?

Oi – you dissed my favourite song ever!

senorj

Dido definitley on the list!

6music played the mighty CUD earlier…..made me turn the radio up… 😀

robbieh
    Free Member

Any Adele squackin, bangin on about her ex boyfriend, no wonder he left

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh.. good thread there sonny.

Keane,
    Gareth Gates,
    Queen,
    Bon Ferkin Jovi,
    Flo & the MC
    Pink,
    Beatles,
    Gronin Ronan Keeting,
    Michelle Bubbles,
    Bob Williams,
    REO Speedwagon,
    Muse,
    Led Zepplinz
    Beck,
    Rodney Stewart,
    Rollin Stones,
    Grills Aloud,
    Spice Grills,
    Dodoz,
    ColdPlayz

Pretty much most of R2’s playlist..

wrecker
    Free Member

The proclaimers are the only ones who come to mind. Put me in the mood to kill.

Cougar

My Mrs has discovered Absolute 80s on DAB so I am having to suffer through Phil Collins, Foreigner, T’Pau, Eurythmics etc.

Conversely, I have tickets to see T’Pau next month. 25th anniversary of Bridge of Spies, don’t you know.

CountZero

Oi – you dissed my favourite song ever!

Sorry, n’all, but, while most bands/artists that I’m not keen (Keane 😆 ) on will generally leave me mostly ambivalent, MSP just really rub me up the wrong way. Just everything about them, the singers histrionic shouting, as if straining your voice shows real emotion, their cocky attitude, like demanding they have their own loos at Glastonbury, and their first-year student union level agitprop politics. And their meaningless lyrics; I’ve yet to find any meaningful explanation as to what Motorcycle Emptiness actually means! I wish they’d done the decent thing and broken up when their guitarist died.
    There are loads listed that I don’t like, mostly because they just aren’t interesting to me, like akkadakka, (AC/DC), Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Sterophonics, Kings Of Leon, and some of the new ‘bedwetter’ bands, like Everything Everything, Django Django, Alt J. Doesn’t make them shite, rubbish, useless or anything else, they’re just not doing anything that interests me or excites me, and the same goes for lots I like, like Floyd, Zeppelin, The Beatles, Stones, plus probably stacks more, that I’m certain many here would really dislike, like Andrew Bird, Asobi Seksu, Black Moth, The Blue Nile, Broken Social Scene, Cara Dillon, Camille, Calexico, Dubstar, Howling Bells, Scarlett Johansson…
    ‘Tis all good stuff, just not to everybody’s taste! 😀

seadog101

One Direction make my son, 11, run from the radio screaming. Even at this young age he has reasonable taste.

julianwilson
    Free Member

What a great thread!
    Loads of my favourites in other peoples’ ‘switch over’ lists too, in fact my 2 utter favourites (bowie and hot chip) are in the last couple of pages. Wahey! 😀

For me:
    Apart from the usual crop of Cowell-esque manufactured pop;
    Florence and the machine.
    Munford and nugs.
    New Elton John (but I loooove old Elton John 😕 )
    Creed/Live/all that earnest American 90’s rock.
    Nickleback/Kroeger
    most ‘nu-metal’ (linkin park, puddle of mudd, that sort of thing)
    Oasis

Quite liked (past tense) some of the xx. Not after the Sam’n’Cam story though.

robido

david gray

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘which bands/artists/singers make you change the channel/leave the room?’ is closed to new replies.