Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Which are faster…black or white forks?
  • PolisherMan

Must be white. Titanium pigment in the paint must help…

Northwind

What colours are the uppers? Black is faster there, then Marzocchi Silver, followed by Kashima Erratic Brown, then Just Boring Fork Colour, and finally Everyone Else’s Silver.

scotroutes

Black absorbs light particles, making them slower.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Kashima and White (my combo) on a red bike. It’s faster than bad news

neilthewheel

White reflects light particles. Since during forward motion there must be more light particles reflecting off the front than the back of the fork (like running through raindrops) this must amount to a net backward force on the fork, slowing it down.

mintimperial

My black forks are faster uphill, but my white ones are faster downhill. Hmm.

plyphon
    Free Member

White bikes are stolen more than black because shiney, therefore white are faster

oliverracing

black, but only if they are carbon

gonzy
    Free Member

What colours are the uppers? Black is faster there, then Marzocchi Silver, followed by Kashima Erratic Brown, then Just Boring Fork Colour, and finally Everyone Else’s Silver.

Northwind, you’re wrong there….marzocchi’s gold race coat is the fastestest ever!! 😆

ads678

I only seem to have ever had silver forks, this must be why i’m the slowest in my group!!

IHN

Mine are black and I’m rubbish, so white.

PolisherMan

“white” rhymes with “light”, so must be faster than “black” errr? “slack”?

ndthornton
    Free Member

Since during forward motion there must be more light particles reflecting off the front than the back of the fork (like running through raindrops) this must amount to a net backward force on the fork, slowing it down.

You’re not thinking relativistically. The speed of light is constant to all observers irrespective of velocity.

scandal42
    Free Member

Simple………Jet Black

timmys

White with black stantions…duh!

ndthornton
    Free Member

White with black stantions…duh!

That doesn’t look very fast – looks stationary in fact

cookeaa

White reflects light particles. Since during forward motion there must be more light particles reflecting off the front than the back of the fork (like running through raindrops) this must amount to a net backward force on the fork, slowing it down.

We can solve this one! Black at the front, White at the back, the reaction forces from forward absorption of light should pull and rearward reflection should help push, propelling the bike forwards, presumably at the speed of light, sort of dangerous, hence its not often anyone does a fork in this colour scheme…

In answer to the original question: Red…

Edit:

Cherry Red

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

black, ‘cos with murdered-out forks youre forever having to outrun the forces of law and order.

nemesis
    Free Member

Black forks radiate heat better that white ones.

Overheating forks makes the damping less effective. Therefore black forks are faster.

QED

nixie

black…. but only natural carbon black. Don’t waste the grams on paint.

PolisherMan

So in between service intervals, Pace forks must be very fast?

ska-49
    Free Member

Black- the black stantions/lowers absorb heat energy and warm up the oil making them more viscous and thus reduce stiction/friction offering better perfomance making the ride te awesumz and super plush.

nixie

😀 yeap. Been lucky with mine, they haven’t had issues yet.

aracer
    Free Member

Why not try painting one stanchion black, the other white and see which direction you turn?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Which are faster…black or white forks?’ is closed to new replies.