Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Which Aliexpress skinsuit?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Back pockets would be preferable

Most of the drag reduction is from not having big flappy pockets on the back.

FWIW a proper skinsuit (as opposed to a Chinese shorts and jersey sewn together combo), even in large sizes, looks like something a toddler would squeeze into. They really are comedically tight.

You can get aero jersesy made form the similar materials, it’s a bit like a thinner, tighter woven, version of the stuff used for shorts, rather than the more normal fabrics.

e.g.

This is our clubs aero jersey (jackroo ultra).

There’s no collar, the sleeves just finish rather than being folded and hemmed, and the fabric is very thin and stretchy. It’s like the top half of a skinsuit, with pockets.

null

Sounds more like what you want, but it’s not within the budget.

yohandsome
    Free Member

There are some “aero” jerseys on ali, maybe something like this?

Good warning about skinsuits, not looking to smear my whole body in baby powder before I can go ride.

t

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think you’re slightly missing the point somewhat.

To be more aero than a standard jersey a skin suit is
    1) made from a different fabric
    2) much tighter
    3) doesn’t have a collar or hemmed cuffs

This is a skinsuit that probably saves a few watts. Note how tightly the zip stretches it when not crouched low on a bike? that’s how tight they are. Also, no collar, no hemms, long sleves, so thin it’s see through fabric, some fabrics have ripples sewn into them to induce turbulence over the shoulders. That’s the stuff that makes skinsuits fast.

Just googled that jersey, it’s still got a collar and cuffs, although it’s certainly see through 😮

Considering you’re wearing MTB shoes (easy to walk in), a proper skinsuit is not easy to walk in!
    null

With carbon wheels you argued that a 60mm deep Chinese rim was probably 90% of the watt savings of a European/American made one at 3x the price, and you’re probably not far off. I think the equivalent in skin suits is just get a jersey that fits. Eliminating the seam between jersey and shorts alone won’t save you the 20W claimed, or the 90% of it.

An aero jersey alone might save a few watts if your existing one isn’t so well fitted, but by the time you’ve lost a few more watts in the translation to Chinese then it’s probably almost nothing. And as we’re basically saying it’s aero because it fits better, you could paraphrase that as “actually going to a shop and trying it on will save you more watts”.

I still think if you’re going to wear “something that looks like a skinsuit” in public, it may as well be bright enough to distract people from the fact it looks daft.

null

dudeofdoom

TBH I’ve a few of the castelli skin suits which er don’t look like a skinsuit and as they have no bibs are extremely comfortable and tbh look no different than bibs and a jersey and I think I paid around 70squid in the sales/ebay.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Interesting form of camo, making yourself more visible but hiding what your body/what you’re wearing? lol.

Aero jersey sounds more like what I’m looking for and would actually keep using. OOOR

TBH I’ve a few of the castelli skin suits which er don’t look like a skinsuit and as they have no bibs are extremely comfortable and tbh look no different than bibs and a jersey and I think I paid around 70squid in the sales/ebay.

What are the con’s then if any? PITA to get on/off? No pockets?

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Which Aliexpress skinsuit?’ is closed to new replies.