• This topic has 25 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by hugo.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Which aeropress, or are they all much the same?
  • MoreCashThanDash

As per title really – usually drink filter coffee at home, but kids bought me a milk frother for my birthday, thinking of trying an aeropress to get better base coffee for playing with, based on a friends recent rave review of his.

What do we recommend?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

There is only one Aeropress. It’s a brandname.
    The main variety I have found comes in playing around with paper filters and different metal filters.
    I enjoy making coffee with mine.

jam-bo

There is a newer more compact one now. I’d probably buy that if I was buying another.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I knew that not. Now I am exposed as a fool.

butcher

I think the new one is a travel / camping style thing. If that’s what you’re going to use it for, get that one, otherwise get the standard one.

boombang
    Free Member

Got one of each one stays at home and other comes to work with me. Travel one doesn’t have anywhere to put coffee which is annoying but otherwise zero downside, does the same job just as well.

I do take the travel one away though as packs up nicely into the cup. If you go away a lot I would suggest get travel one just so don’t have to have crap coffee when away.

fadda

I love mine – it’s definitely something to do with the ritual, and I’ve recently bought a burr grinder (after some helpful advice on here, obvs), which adds to the ritual as well as making better coffee.
    It means you have to learn something about the process of making it, rather than just chucking stuff in a cup with hot water, and that’s all to the good as far as I’m concerned.
    All that’s in addition to the coffee being infinitely preferable, and experimenting with the process (coarser or finer grinds, water temperature, how long to let it sit etc, etc) means you can really get the coffee you want out of it.

Spoils you a bit for the chain coffee shops, though, they’re all a bit crap afterwards…

phil5556

I’ve got the new compact one, not used it yet as I’m not allowed to go camping. It’s more or less the same as my full size one apart from shorter & slightly smaller base which means it would be precarious pushing down on it on our usual mugs, high chance of slippage. The non compact has a handy holder for filters, a better stirrer and better scoop.

Get the full size one for home.

phil5556

You also don’t have to make it a ritual, I just find it a quick way to make a pretty decent cup of coffee 😀

jobro
    Free Member

The newish smaller one is called Aeropress Go. I’ve used it a couple of times while pretending to be bike packing in the garden 🙂

fatmountain
    Free Member

Always with a cold press, reversed.

dove1

This thread reminded me that I *need* an Aeropress.
    Amazon have just had my order. 🙂

budgierider67

Get the full size one for home

James agrees

Handily his latest video covers making a great coffee with milk at home, without an espresso machine.

I pretty much use this method too but overall I do prefer a Moka pot for a base coffee.

redmex
    Free Member

That James coffee guy maybe knows his stuff but so nerdy, imagine being stuck near him at a party

rOcKeTdOg

What do we recommend?

Not ruining the coffee by putting milk in it 😉

Aeropress makes great coffee but obviously that does depend on the coffee you put in it.

seadog101

The best way to make coffee.
    Quick, easy to clean, and a very clean fresh brew each time.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

That James coffee guy maybe knows his stuff but so nerdy, imagine being stuck near him at a party

He’s on my ‘dream dinner guest’ list 😅
    Think I’ve watched every video of his from the past 2 years – I’m not even that fussy about my coffee! (though, i have an aeropress, V60, gaggia and buy fresh beans….)

sockpuppet

I love James’ videos too. I enjoy his passion and attention to detail.

He hasn’t really changed the rather approximate way I make coffee, but he has made me experiment a bit more with the coffee that goes in.

I have no interest in home espresso – and I think the aeropress Go isn’t really needed! Just get the original.

cp

I’ve lost my filter holder and I’m gutted. 3 days without my aeropress…. 🙁 I’ve got several devices for making coffee, but if it’s just me having one then it’s aeropress every time. Brilliant things.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I love my aeropress but its a pretty rubbish base for a milky one.

stevious

Aeropress is a pretty versatile device IME. Probably not optimised for making short coffee for milky brews but will do a decent job. The bonus is it’s also an excellent filter coffee maker.

Question for those with experience – would using a metal filter for the aeropress give a more robust flavour for adding to milk (a bit more akin to a stovetop)?

seadog101

Metal Filters I’ve tried (only a couple TBH) are no improvement over the paper filters, and just a PITA as you can’t just pop the used coffee puck into the bin.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Yeah my metal filter just floats about the house. I think its under the cutlery tray at the moment, its great and blocking. The paper filters last about three days for me so a pack last a couple of years.

Co have you ordered a new filter holder? You can get spare parts. I’m on my third (and now improved) plunger seal.

molgrips
    Free Member

I love lattes but when I use an aeropress I don’t make one. One shot isn’t enough to balance the milk, two is way too much caffeine.

Also check out handpresso and the various other hand pump espresso makers. They do higher pressures and are more like espresso.

grahamt1980

I do use the metal filters at home sometimes.
    currently have an aeropress at home and at work and really like them.
    use inverted method and 80° water and grind fresh each day.
    I have got a staresso espresso maker too so while wfh I start with a little espresso and then use the aeropress for a bigger coffee with breakfast.
    The beans make the most difference imho then it is water temp.

hugo
    Free Member

A few thoughts:

1. Aeropress are great. Good option.

2. Use it upside down if that makes sense.

3. The porlex mini grinder is a nice complimentary product. It’s fits snugly in the barrel of a standard aeropress.

4. I like the idea of the travel one as this is when we tend to use it. We’ve taken it around Sri Lanka, India and Nepal to guarantee quality coffee in the morning. A lighter version would be good – although it’s hardly hefty. I’d get one if going in a backpack or the normal one otherwise.

5. Paper filters for me preferably. Just smash the paper and puck in the bin together and be done.

6. It’s a minor fiddle to start but ends up a lovely quick and mindful routine. Kettle on, grind beans, filter in, water in, press, fire puck out, done.

7. Knock the kettle off just before it boils. 80 something degC not 90+.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Which aeropress, or are they all much the same?’ is closed to new replies.