Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which adhesive?
  • Kramer
    Free Member

To re-attach a rubber frame protector to a carbon frame please?

fokust
    Free Member

Just use a 3M double sided sticky tape. Then again, need a picture of what you’re talking about 😉

kormoran
    Free Member

anything that does not set rigid – double sided will be fine, or maybe evo stick. A blob of silicon will probably be fine. Something like araldite won’t be as it will be rigid and eventually  crack

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sharkattack

I need to know the same thing. The seatstay protector on my Privateer was never fully attached. I’ve tried a couple of different double sided tapes which have been indestructible in normal use but can’t handle muddy water for some reason.

weeksy

Same as you Shark. I’ve not found the answer yet.

The protector on my Slayer will rip the tube in half if I try to remove it

TheDTs
    Free Member

3M (or similar) VHB tape. Got to be a completely spotless clean surface. IPA surface. Primers are available.

Kramer
    Free Member

What does IPA mean?

dovebiker

IPA = Isopropylalcohol

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Isopropanol alcohol. Or brake cleaner. Meths too, but not white spirit. Or vodka at a push

Kramer
    Free Member

Where’s a good place to get IPA please? Last time I tried I struggled.

bikesandboots

Hexeal Chemicals on eBay

tthew

Oh, so IPA doesn’t equal India Pale Ale? No wonder my brakes don’t work…

spooky_b329

I would not use silicone as it won’t play nice with other adhesives you might want to try at a later date.

Kramer
    Free Member

Turns out that a new protector costs £7 which is about the same as a roll of double sided tape, so that’s what I’ve gone with.

mert
    Free Member

3M (or similar) VHB tape.

We use it to stick cars together.
    Spoilers, body trim, badges, bits of interior.

It’s also commonly used in RC cars for sticking the receiver and speed controller to the chassis.

The ESC in my 8th buggy has been firmly attached for 4 years, and that includes hits that will flex the chassis plate enough to bend both props. So it’s quite strong. (2x4mm zip ties weren’t strong enough)

It’s also been holding the chainstay protector onto my medium/big bike for nearly 5 years, after the OE glue job failed after ~2 months.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.