Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which 2nd hand downhill fork?
  • whatnobeer
    Free Member

Looking to upgrade the fork on the Myst. Currently running a 2008 Fox 40 which isn’t in great condition any more. Feels pretty harsh on the braking bumps and not great small bump compliance either.

Not sure I will find a Boxxer with a charge damper in my price range, so how do the likes of Marz, XFusion etc stack up?

sharkattack

When I saw the thread title I thought 40. Fox have made some duds but they’re the easiest to upgrade.

My first call would be to Mojo. Tell them what your problem is and see what kind of new internals you can get for your current fork. Mine went for a basic service and came back with the paint touched up and fresh stickers on. Great company.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

When I saw the thread title I thought 40. Fox have made some duds but they’re the easiest to upgrade.

My first call would be to Mojo. Tell them what your problem is and see what kind of new internals you can get for your current fork. Mine went for a basic service and came back with the paint touched up and fresh stickers on. Great company.

Unfortunately I live in Whistler, so a call to Mojo is a bit out of the question. A call to the local Fox service agent might be a good option though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for a service, has to be cheaper than just binning them

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

X Fusion RV1 or save for a boxxer. Surely shed loads around for sale second hand?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

+1 for a service, has to be cheaper than just binning them

Probably cheaper, but how good is an 8 year old fork compared with something newer? Is there not that much of a leap in performance between the 08 40 and a say a 2014 888?

Surprisingly few 2nd hard forks around here. Pinkbike shows around 10 or 11 in the local area across a fairly wide range of prices, brands and condition.

grahamt1980

I would go for 888’s or the newer 380’s.
    Little maintenance needed and seem to just keep going.

mikey74
    Free Member

Note to self: Don’t leave bike with Boxxers unattended in Whistler this summer :mrgreen:

I was going to say Boxxers, as they are pretty good value. However, do Avalanche do un upgrade cartridge for the Fox 40s. Alternatively, as you say, give the local Fox dealer a ring and see what they can do.

I’d guess the main difference between a 2008 for and a 2014 one would be the internals, so if you can upgrade those, then it’s as good as a more modern one (assuming the chassis is in good working order).

sharkattack

Unfortunately I live in Whistler…

I’ve never seen those words proceeded by the word ‘unfortunately’ before. You’re weird. Still, Fox is just down the road in Cali.

chakaping
    Free Member

888 rc3 ti

Bombproof and competitive on weight

So much better than the boxer team I had before. Like a hot knife through butter.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’ve never seen those words proceeded by the word ‘unfortunately’ before. You’re weird. Still, Fox is just down the road in Cali.

Context!!

BearBack
    Free Member

Vorsprung in Whistler
    OGC in Vancouver
    Suspensionwerx in NorthVan
    Or, Thomas in Coastal culture was an ex-fox mechanic

What kind of love has your 40 had? If little to none, then your lack of small bump compliance may well be dry bushing wear on the stanctions.
    Its easy to check for wear.
    If your stanctions are still in great shape, a service will certainly help.

Talk to Ryan at Coastal Culture for a sweet deal on a 26″ 40. He had one left when i was last in his store

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which 2nd hand downhill fork?’ is closed to new replies.