Which 29er singlespeed frame?

Home Forum Bike Forum Which 29er singlespeed frame?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Which 29er singlespeed frame?
  • Simpsan

Ok, built myself an 29er On-One Inbred Singlespeed last year, partly on a whim but tbh am really loving it since I’ve ironed out a few minor niggles.
    Now the bike tart in me is fully justified in needing to upgrade the frame 🙂
    The original frame I was looking at last year was a Vassago Jabberwocky but I also like the Cotic Simple. I also love (the colour of ) the Singlespeed dedicated El Mariachi, the orange one,but as I already run a geared El Mar wanted something a little different. Perfectly I want to stay away from ‘big brands’. I’ve already had a look at brands like Surly, Pipedream and Singular and was wondering if there was anything else out there
    The bike will be run fully rigid but with the option to swap out for a 100mm suspension fork, preferably steel and with a budget of £400-500.
    Give me some inspiration 🙂

Premier Icon sillyoldman
    Subscriber

Genesis High Latitude is worth a look. Available in a SS/Alfine frame option.

ontor

I love my karate monkey fwiw

Premier Icon coolhandluke
    Subscriber

+1 for a Karate Monkey.

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

3 in a row for the Karate monkey. My most ridden bike by a mile.

Untitled by redmancunian69, on Flickr

Simpsan

I’ve nothing against the Karate Monkey per se, really am just looking for inspiration away from the brands I would readily look at. The KM is a nice frame and the fact that it will take fat tyres is a positive, the safety scissors blue is pretty nice as well!
    One of the things I really like about the OnOne frame is that due to it being a dedicated singlespeed there are no extra braze ons for cable routing etc making it a very clean looking frame

dickie

Pace RC129 – a little over budget but there’s a small at CRC for £399 shop soiled.

Premier Icon coolhandluke
    Subscriber

🙄 you can lead a horse to water…..

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

If you see a second hand Salsa Selma anywhere don’t pass it up, absolute rocketship.

ontor

The new version of the km has lost all the useful little braze-ons and the v mounts…

I love my el mariachi. I haven’t stripped the gears off yet but I looking forward to gear free shenanigans.

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

Was in the same position as you a year or two back. Had my Inbred sorted & fancied something nicer. Shortlist was KM, Swift, Pace & SIR.9. Then Charlie put a medium Kermit SIR.9 on sale & it was a done deal. Can’t recall why the El-Mar wasn’t in the running, but had it been I’d have one in my garage right now. I think it was before the newer version came out. From trawling through various reams of tests, & reveiws the Pace was quite heavy but fantastic attention to detail. The Swift seemed to get the nod most, with the KM being a bit too heavy & left field. I appreciate that reveiws don’t tell the full story, & that it’s somewhat subjective, but for most folk its just not possible to get around to riding every bike on a whish list,

Being able to cleanly run SS was a must, so the Solaris was out straight away, which is sad because the Soul I used to have was a great ride. I think Cotic missed a trick there in making it Solaris or Simple.

To be honest, I don’t think you’d be unhappy on any of them. My Niner is just lovely, but it should be at that price. Shame it’s going rusty. 🙁 But, its a steel bike frame in a wet country, & it gets ridden come rain or shine. Can’t imagine ever wanting to sell it.

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

as per Taki, Swift is versatile and great value.

All things being equal I’d chose a SIR9 unless I intended to do long distance touring. But they’re not equal because the Sir9 is double the cost without the forks of the Swift with forks.

The Swift is a tad more refined and lighter than your Inbred, the Inbred’s a bit stiffer and more agro. Geo is very similar.

DK

Simpson, your inbred frame up for grabs? I’ve just been looking at buying one in their site, thought I’d look on here first and seen your post… Could be fate!!
    Only if its 18 inch tho 🙂
    Cheers
    Rich

Simpsan

Hi DK,
    Yes it will be, it’s the white SS specific one. Also I have a set of carbon forks with white dropouts and crown if you are interested.
    I’ve managed to pick up a Vassago Jabberwocky 🙂

DK

Hi Simpsan, you have email about frame and forks 🙂
    Cheers

Premier Icon letmetalktomark
    Subscriber

Skookum?

Hope to add belt drive experiment bits this month ….. # bandwagon

sfinnie

+1 swift. Lovely frame and versatile bike. Have variously run mine rigid/ss, rigid/1×9, ht/1×9 with 100mm rebas. Ht/ss to come when the snow goes. And no creaks or issues with ebb either.

Gotama

Another vote for a swift. Really enjoy riding mine and it can actually cope with a lot more than you think it would.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Which 29er singlespeed frame?’ is closed to new replies.