Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Which 29er mixed commute tyres? – must work well tubeless
  • benman
    Free Member

Looking for some semi-slick tyres for my winter commute, which is a mixed 50/50 road/offroad ride. Would prefer around 2″ width, and must work well tubeless, and be fairly puncture resistant. Something like the Minion SS looks quite good, but perhaps a bit wide.

Any recommendations? Obviously the cheaper the better for a commuting tyre too!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

thunderburts

snaps
    Free Member

My commute is rural Devon 12 miles – a mix of very minor potholed roads with grass growing up the middle, forest singletrack, muddy farm lanes & about 3 miles of tarmac to get out of town.
    I’ve been using Maxxis Crossmark LUST 2.1 but they’re noisy on tarmac when new which leads me to think the rolling resistance higher than what you’d think looking at them.
    In April this year I put some Larsen TT LUST 1.9 on both ends & the offroad grip is similar but they are so much quieter on road so I think they’re rolling better.
    I’ve not had a puncture in years with these tyres & Stans sealant.
    I’m getting over 2000 miles out of the rears & 3000 out of the fronts.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

2.35″ G-One Speeds, or the biggest version of Panaracer Gravel King SKs (40c?) which will measure ~45mm bead to bead.

snownrock

WTB Nanos here, not especially slick but they roll really well and are pretty quick. I use the cheap wire bead version, they go up tubeless nicely with 2 rolls of rim tape.

warns74
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of maxxis ikons which would be perfect for what you want. Drop me an email if you’re interested.

benman
    Free Member

Cheers everyone I’ll have a look at a few of these options.

thorpie
    Free Member

I use Conti X King Protection tyres on my 29er which I commute on, mostly tarmac. They roll surprisingly well and cover all bases for me. Wear is good as well. They come in both 2.2 and 2.4 although they measure up small against others.
    Trevor.

STATO
    Free Member

WTB Nanos are good but im not convinced they last particularly long, or have much grip if you do go offroad (front clogs when muddy). Maxxis Crossmark on the rear is good with something a bit grippier like an Aspen or Ikon, keep it to 2″ and you wont get much more drag than anything else. Having said that it depends what your offroad is, i can get by with slicks on my off-road commute when its not very muddy.

benman
    Free Member

Currently commuting on on-one smorgasbord and chunky munky’s as they were all I had to hand which would work tubeless on my rims. So pretty much anything will be faster rolling 🙂

The Crossmarks look pretty good to me.

benman
    Free Member

Has anyone successfully run Schwalbe Landcruisers tubeless?

jugheaddave
    Free Member

Maxxis Ikon, light, fast and grippy enough for the off-road sections.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

X-king’s here too. Bought mainly as a fast XC tyre, but i’ve done quite a bit of road on them too whilst commuting and they are surprisingly fast.

fifeandy
    Free Member

The Crossmarks look pretty good to me

They may look good, but they are much slower than they look. They have much more in common with intermediate ‘trail’ tyres than the XC tyres they are marketed as.

Personally i’d go with an XKing or RaceKing as the Black Chilli compound is fast and doesn’t wear too fast on the road. I suspect the same may well be true of the new Schwalbe Addix compounds.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Which 29er mixed commute tyres? – must work well tubeless’ is closed to new replies.