Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Which 29er
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Thinking of making the switch to 29er for this seasons racing. The only time I’ve ever ridden one was as a spare bike i borrowed for mayhem last year, a large giant xtc. It was too big for me so didn’t really get a good feel for it. I rolled well when it got going, wouldn’t like to race 24 hours on hardtail as a main bike though.

I’ve been racing 26inch full sus for the last couple of years so I think i’d like to stick with full sus anyway.
    Any oppinions on the Kona Hei hei 29, the giant anthem 29, spesh epic 29, or cannondale scalpel 29?
    I like the look of the cannondale and the kona the best, I know thats not a very good thing to base a bike purchase on though.

Also, anyone ever made the switch without getting to test ride many of them? Not sure I’ll be able to.

Thanks for any info.

takisawa2

I bought my Inbred off the back of all the hype. 😕

I can imagine the latest crop of 29ers from the manufactuers you mentioned are pretty well sorted, whichever you buy. For me it would be the Spesh. if only because the ones I’ve had in the past have been so good.

will
    Free Member

For me it would be the Giant.

Great looking bike, good kit and good price.

FuzzyWuzzy

Only one I’ve test ridden is the Giant, seemed OK but if I hadn’t known it was a 29er I wouldn’t have guessed from the way it rode (that’s not necessarily a bad thing though). Looking at the Spesh Epic/Camber, Scott Spark, SC Tallboy as well but a few months away from purchasing anything so not tried to test ride those yet. Tempted by the 2013 Anthem 29er carbon to although not unless it’s out well before 2013.

One thing that’s annoying me is most of the models I’m looking at around £2500 are SRAM X7/X9 mix, whereas I want Shimano so may end up building up from a frame. It’s a pity Canyon don’t do a FS 29er yet and there’s not much out about the Rose one.

clubber
    Free Member

How about the Scott Spark 29ers? They look pretty good too.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I like the Scott 29ers but don’t have any Scott dealers near me, so It’s kind of a no go unless I order it online without test riding or seeing it in a shop.

I’d like to hear if many people have bought one without testriding it first, and how did it turn out for you?

I know the Giant is good value and probably a really good bike but I don’t like the look of it, which is important to me if I’m spending long hours on it.

slinkybike
    Free Member

If ever consider a hardtail I have just bought a niner emd and I am loving it. It rides closer to a 26inch softtail than a HT and there is a fair bit of give in the rear espesially with tubeless tires.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Ye slinky I was considering a 29er hardtail, but don’t think my body would like it for 24 hour races!

takisawa2

I had the first ride on my Niner SIR9 last night. Its very comfy. And very light.

FuzzyWuzzy

Forgot about the Rocky Mountain Element to, that’s on my short-list – not in stock @ Evans yet but presumably once they are you could order one under their 30 day trial terms (they have the Spesh and Scott FS 29ers to along with a few others).

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I went to a couple of local shops to see what they have, was allowed to ride the rocky mountain element 29 and the kona hei hei around the car park. Love the rocky mountain!

No Scott dealers near me and don’t really want to postal order one without seeing it in the flesh, minimum.

variflex
    Free Member

Saw a LOVELY Whyte 829 today….very yummy and well priced considering the spec.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

They whyte is nice, as are the carbon versions.

Nice price too!!

tk46hal
    Free Member

I’ve been riding the 29er Scandals for a while now and really, really love them, but for the long slogs your talking about, the 24 hour stuff and rough terrain riding, then it would be great to have that suspension at the back.
    I’ve just made that same decision as I seem to be riding more rough these days and want to keep my parts intact so I’ve gone for the Kona Hei Hei 2-9 frame! I’m building it up this weekend for the maiden voyage this Sunday to have a bounce around! 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Which 29er’ is closed to new replies.