Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Which 24 hour race for a first timer?
  • RustySpanner

Always fancied a go at one of these and entering will give me a kick up the arse to loose weight and get fit.

Friendly atmosphere, great scenery and a course that doesn’t turn into a mudfest & that I’ll enjoy riding are the priorities.

Have been recommended Relentless, but I think I’ve left it a bit late to get into shape for this year. 🙂

All opinions/experiences welcome, thanks in advance.

Brown
    Free Member

My favourites are 24/12 and the Strathpuffer. How adventurous are you feeling?

I know a few people gone for Mayhem first and loved it, the atmosphere’s ok, the scenery is average and the courses aren’t the best. I’ll not do it again.

Bonty is smaller, but the atmosphere’s ‘fun’ and the course is good Scenery? Some woods and fields.

Strathpuffer’s awesome, but you need to really sort your kit out. It’s got the best scenery, fantastic riding and a friendly atmosphere but it’s also pretty ‘basic’, especially with the long night.

I’d suggest 24/12.

ninkynonk
    Free Member

Hi Rusty

I agree with 24/12, I was down there this year supporting a couple of mates (injured and couldn’t ride). In my opinion it’s a bit more chilled out than SITS or MM.

The only downside is that it’s a bit of a trek from up here but well worth it especially if you chuck in an extra day or two to spend on the beaches.

Worth noting they also do a 12hr race to dip your toe into enduro racing if 24hrs is a bit too much.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Do Relentless – I’m planning on doing it this year. I am in no shape to do any good at it, but shits and giggles.

epicyclo

Strathpuffer. The conditions give you lots of excuses if you’re not as fast as you’d like to be. 🙂

Here’s some free excuses I have knocked up for the next one, and you’re welcome to use them if I don’t need them:

Ran out of brake pads
    Ran out of batteries for my lights
    Freehub froze up
    I couldn’t find any studded tyres
    My wife told me to stop
    I shouldn’t have watched Dog Soldiers last week

I’m working on even more so I’m fully prepared – the excuses are more important than training IMO.

Brown
    Free Member

😆

kimbers

I wouldve said clic 24 as its a charity event and a very laid back one too

but it seems that its been cancelled the last couple of years which is a great shame

5thElefant
    Free Member

SITS. If it ever happens again.

theotherjonv

Torq 12:12 ticks all the boxes re friendly, great course, weatherproof, etc. But it’s not a 24, it’s only a 12.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Bonty 24 has been the first one for me and a lot of my biking mates. Good course, good atmosphere. Although a lot bumpier this year than in previous years. (good to run suspension and tyres a bit softer than usual when doing a 24 hr anyway). A few nice views on the way around in places.

Write up of doing my first 24 hr solo

Unfortunately you’ve just missed it for another year.

Also the course at

glupton1976
    Free Member

Brilliant.

c_klein87

Not done the 24 but the 12 is ace at Bonty 24:12 best of the 24 courses i’d say, challenging but rewarding, plus you get 2 trips through the arena to boost morale

xherbivorex
    Free Member

pete if you’re serious and wanna do bonty 24:12 next year then i’ll join you. probably.

RustySpanner

I’m very serious. 🙂

The most fun I’ve had on the bike for ages was the first HtN, which was what, 10 hours?

Ideally, I’m hoping that a 24 hour would be a longer version of that, with better dancing and less mud.

Both solo or as a pair?

I can feel a plan coming together…….. 😀

joshvegas
    Free Member

Strathpuffer wasn’t just my first 24hr event it was my first mountainbike event and I finished the bike build the night before.

It was awesome.

Harry_the_Spider

The most fun I’ve had on the bike for ages was the first HtN, which was what, 10 hours?

Ideally, I’m hoping that a 24 hour would be a longer version of that, with better dancing

Never

and less mud.

Probably

Have a word with Jason. He is quite good at this sort of thing.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Ideally, I’m hoping that a 24 hour would be a longer version of that, with better dancing and less mud.

Both solo or as a pair?

your call.
    a pair might be the sensible option, but if you wanna do the whole thing solo then i’d be up for that too. probably…

twinklydave

Strathpuffer’s awesome, … It’s got the best scenery,

Are you an owl?! It’s dark for the whole bloody thing! 😆

It is a brilliant event though.

The Problem with most England based races is that, as you suggest, the course falls apart, which makes it all a bit rubbish (people claim Bonty 24/12 is good though, so maybe that’d be a good one?)

Chances are whichever race you choose will have a friendly atmosphere…and most of them take place in nice bits of the countryside, so don’t worry about that too much!

wonnyj
    Free Member

The course at Newcastleton and the Exposure event up there were both brilliant. Doesn’t seem to be on at the moment though.
    Probably a slightly better course for a first 24 as it’s mainly smooth trail centre

RustySpanner

Oooooooooh, a CELEBRITY!

Nice to see you back Dave, hope all going ok.

xherbivorex, we’ll have a chat and decide what we’re going to do.
    Will there be enough space on the trophy for both our names?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

wonny j – Member
    Bonty 24 has been the first one for me and a lot of my biking mates. Good course, good atmosphere. Although a lot bumpier this year than in previous years. (good to run suspension and tyres a bit softer than usual when doing a 24 hr anyway). A few nice views on the way around in places.

Write up of doing my first 24 hr solo

Unfortunately you’ve just missed it for another year.

Also the course at

Just read your blog post, what did you think of the training plan you used?
    Was it worth the money?

terrahawk
    Free Member

Pete- we can have a natter at the next Monday night ride…prob will be monday after next before I can make it though.

24/12 is a suberb event. So is the Strathpuffer.
    Relentless is ace too, in fact if you’re after a friendly laid-back one, that’s probably it. The 2014 event will be a bit more intense though as it’s the world solo champs event that year. It’ll mean it’s even cooler though.

atkinsar
    Free Member

a course that doesn’t turn into a mudfest

I’ve only ever participated in Mountain Mayhem, based on the criteria above, I think you can rule that one out. Although it probably fits your other criteria, so you know, if you did happen to get lucky with the weather it might be ok.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Which 24 hour race for a first timer?’ is closed to new replies.