• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by 5lab.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Which 1.4L hatchback?
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Mrs Removed is about to replace her clapped out old Peugot 1.4L petrol car.

I know almost zero about cars and wondered if anyone on here had suggestions for a replacement?

Four doors are a must
    Small petrol engine
    Probs 2nd hand – perhaps 14 plate?

Ta!

bails

What annual mileage?
    What budget?
    What kind of driving?
    Does she need to fit bikes/skis/lacrosse sticks in it?

Philby

SEAT Leon fits your bill. You can even get the sporty FR version in a 1.4. Similar in size to a VW Golf but a bit cheaper and more toys than the Golf equivalent model.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Worth considering that the new 1.4 is a 1.0 or 1.2 Turbo.

user-removed
    Free Member

Cheers chaps. To answer those questions, low annual mileage – probably about 10K. Child seat in the back, flexible budget but paid monthly, so maybe 2-300 quid a month.

Already suggested the Seat – does look good!

bails

Bear in mind that 1.4 isn’t always really 1.4. So the old Peugeot 1.4 might have less power than Ford’s 1.0 ecoboost or Seats 1.2 tsi (both turbocharged). Likewise, the Seat 1.4tsi might have double the power of the Peugeot 1.4.

Edit:PJay beat me to it.

nixie

Anything Vag group with the 1.2TSI. Lovely engine :).

user-removed
    Free Member

Fair point. And the old car is 14 years old 😀

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Seat Leon, Golf, Civic……take your pick, everything is pretty much the same these days

P-Jay
    Free Member

Wife got a 1.2TSI powered Seat Ibiza with Apple Car play, air con, sat nav and such for £150 a month on a 4 year PCP deal, give it back after 2 years if you want.

It’s a lovely little car, great around town, surprisingly good on the motorway, bit small for the 4 of us for longer trips but it’s the perfect district nurse wheels.

Jamie
    Free Member

Ford Fiesta 1l Ecoboost.

Can get it in a 100 or 125bhp version.

£0 tax which is nice.

user-removed
    Free Member

These all sound good, thanks. P-Jay, she’s a roaming health professional so sounds like similar useage. Lots of hospital car parks so needs to be quite wee!

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s pretty tiny, well for a modern car anyway, despite being a Latin flavoured Polo it’s bigger than a golf of 20 years ago.

There’s really nothing to dislike about it, it’s not even the slightly sportier FR one, but it’s fun to drive. It does 45mpg around town in lots of little 1-2 mile drives and 50+ with ease on the motorway. Steering is speed sensitive, seats are comfy, air-con is better than my Exeo and the DAB radio sounds as good as my fancy Bose system in my Exeo, okay it can’t rattle the windows due to a lack of Sub, but that’s of limited value to most people it seems 😉

jimjam
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

Ford Fiesta 1l Ecoboost.

Can get it in a 100 or 125bhp version.

£0 tax which is nice.

And 140bhp. Available with ST trim too if she wants it to look sporty, though the “S” already looks quite sporty. Great wee cars.

matt_outandabout

+1 for Ibiza – we have old engined version (1.4) as I wanted a simple engine.
    Ours is estate version – it’s still compact and easy around town, with a boot bigger than most Astra/Golf sized cars.
    i personally find it ‘snug’ as a 6’er, but Mrs oab at 5’loves it.
    I would have Leon/v40/golf estate if it was me, but I’m used to monster people carrier.

pondo

Had a Fiesta Ecoboost on holiday, lovely little thing. 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

Any of these … get them with automatic gear. 😛

Honda Jazz or Civic
    Toyota Yaris or Auris
    Suzuki Swift
    Mazda 2
    Hyundai i20 or i30

user-removed
    Free Member

I’ve linked the better half to this thread and suspect she’ll be more confused than when she started looking 😀

Much appreciated all – lots to go on.

5lab

If you’re not too fussy as to what you get, a bargin lease deal is perfect. Brand new car, kept for 2 years, should get roughly what you’re after for £200/month. Rinse and repeat. Have a look here for deals

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=255&t=1663457&i=1940

5lab

Or the juke here looks good value – based on a clip so the footprint is small.

https://m.lingscars.com/deals

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Which 1.4L hatchback?’ is closed to new replies.