Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Which 130 BCD chainset to run with an alfine?
  • debaser

My ‘chuck it in the shed and worry about it later’ maintenance routine on my commuter left me with permanently attached cranks/pedals. I finally killed the pedals the other day so it’s time for new cranks…

They need to be compatible with the 130 bcd surly chainring that’s on the dead cranks as that still has plenty life in it. Theres a guard/bash on there that could come in handy too.

The shimano alfine specific cranks seem like an obvious choice, but I’m still not sure about the look of them. They’re going on a roadrat so mebbe that’s irrelevant 😉

s500 Alfine

These ones are tempting too, but I’ve heard bad things about X-Type BBs, offroad in clarty conditions at least.

Raceface Cadence

It’s either that or some serious penetrating oil/heat/torque to get the old pedals off the Bontrager GXP cranks that came stock with the bike.

Any advice or alternatives?

debaser

No boring long-winded replies to my boring long-winded question?

trail_rat
    Free Member

you tried a real pedal spanner ?

if you aint used one of those , your pedals are not yet declared stuck 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

A crank is…pretty much…a crank!

Saccades
    Free Member

I thought the alfine cranks looked awful, however they work well on the bike (pompino) and now I think they look right, besides with your bashguard you wouldn’t see the smooth out ring cover thing (set up like that for cycling with trous and works well when popping to the pub).

On my mtb with alfine I’m running an original LX HT1 crank with a xt bb and a on-one bashguard, it’s 4.5 years old and i’ve just about killed the cup and cone due to a similar approach to looking after my bike. Edit to say – the crank/bb is still working a treat.

I’d avoid raceface, piss poor reputation for bb’s.

simon1975

Square taper.

This Sugino set is a bargain:
    http://outspokencycles.co.uk/chainsets/SuginoRD2_cranks.html

Or try this very cheap offer from Charlie (no idea how long this BB will last, but Shimano UN55’s are still less than £15):
    http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/driveline-track-cranks–free-bb-264-p.asp

simon1975

PS. Your link to s500 Alfine is not suitable for your existing steel chainring

debaser

cheers folks and thanks for the links.

No spanner flats, so haven’t tried a proper spanner, but I have spiralled an allen key using a long lever and two LBSes have said ‘they are not coming off’

PS. Your link to s500 Alfine is not suitable for your existing steel chainring

Thanks for spotting that Simon.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the RF BBs aren’t brilliant it’s true but you can swap the bearings out when they fail.

The Cadence cranks are good though, and that’s a very good discounted price at CRC. I have some 110bcd on my commuter and they are plenty stiff with a good finish.

Any 130bcd crank will be fine. There were some cheap 105s over on BR, but they’ve just gone in the last few minutes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Which 130 BCD chainset to run with an alfine?’ is closed to new replies.