Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • WHEY Powder?
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Hey folks,

Tried out some whey powder, a one portion sachet to supplement my gym routine.

Bloody lovely, cold chocolate drink, smashing, obviously too early to see the effects on the old muscles. . . . . . . anyway!

There seems to be a massive variety of different ones and don’t really know where to start, want to buy a big tub, don’t want to spend a lot, go to Gym twice a week, do cardio and some weights.

Any recommendations what to try, where to start?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Any recommendations what to try, where to start?

STOP!

Cougar

If you eat properly, you don’t need (expensive) supplements?

ton
    Cougar

STOP!

You’re getting confused with WHOA powder.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

WHOA powder.

Ketamine?

alexxx
    Free Member

thats ney powder

KT1973
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member

WHOA powder.

Ketamine?

😆

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I eat properly, most of the time, . . but I had a chicken tikka meat special from the chippy last night! 😮

Don’t know if i imagined it, but after I took the WHEY, it seemed like I could feel my muscles tingling a bit more and next morning I looked pretty good (probably just wishing it) . . . is that possible?

joao3v16
    Free Member

If you’re insisting on using whey protein, look at http://www.myprotein.com

I use their Hurricane XS

However, I would suggest that sticking to a healthy balanced diet is sufficient for most workouts unless you’re specifically bulking up.

But granted, they can taste great & are convenient.

scunny
    Free Member

Anything branded as 100% Whey shold do the job. I’ve tried all sorts, but have gone back to the stuff you can pick up at asda. Exactly the same nutritional value, tastes alright, £5+ cheaper

Casien Whey at night (you should be taking a shake 30 minutes after a work out, i work out at about 7:30 for 1hr+. Casien is a slow release protien so it’ll see you through the night and keep your muscles fed as the repair/grow (which they only do when you’re sleeping))

100% Whey in the morning

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I just have one after gym or a ride as it stops the munchies and has to be healthier than eating an entire bag of jelly babies or the contents of the cars glove box.

myprotein.com is a good cheep bet.

Money off code MP200391 (cant remember the precentage, but it’s a referal thing so I get the same off as well when you order 🙂 )

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Don’t know if i imagined it…

You did.

…is that possible?

No.

You’re not training anywhere near enought to warrant taking one. Plus would you really want to bulk up anyway?

Cougar

Don’t know if i imagined it, but after I took the WHEY, it seemed like I could feel my muscles tingling a bit more and next morning I looked pretty good (probably just wishing it) . . . is that possible?

Yep, it’s well documented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

njee20
    Free Member

😆

Southern Yeti and Cougar +1

The odds are that you’ll just get fat.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Now, how sure are you that the creamy powder you took was actually WHEY?

wwaswas

Maybe it was whey-hey powder?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tingly muscles from suplements is GABA*?

Unlikely in anything you got through legal sources though?

*gama-alpha-buteric-acid

hora
    Free Member

Is it bad in any way?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

FWIW i tried whey protein shakes post hard weights sessions. I wanted something to assist with recovery/ease doms after a hard session and as i don’t eat meat/not a huge fan of pulses, i’m never convinced i’m getting enough protein. The whey protein made no difference to the pain the next morning.

I’ve since switched to a small amount of chocolate milk / skimmed milk which works far better to ease the doms, and also is much cheaper.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i like LA muscle stuff. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

dirtygirlonabike – any bikini pics?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I know I said I’d never share them Dirty, but well… you know…

soobalias
    Free Member

hora – Member
    dirtygirlonabike – any bikini pics?

hora, i dont know if you know dgoab, obviously if you do that comment might be a slightly funny in-joke

from the outside your comment is that of a sad internet loser

flow
    Free Member

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/

Their whey isolate (the best form of whey you can get) is almost half the price of the branded stuff.

It is made in house with no added shite too.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

from the outside your comment is that of a sad internet loser

Soobalis – I’m guessing you do know Hora then?

Only joking Hora… I don’t know you either.

sadexpunk

ive done a fair bit of reading up on this, and what shows is that you dont need it unless your diet is protein deficient. if you lift weights, your muscles will need protein to rebuild. and somewhere between 1g to 1.5g per lb bodyweight seems to be the optimum amount. for me its ideal if i can get 200g in a day. i dont from food, so i ‘supplement’ it with whey shakes from time to time. if you eat plenty of meat/fish/eggs, it likely you consume enough protein to not need a supplement. but thats all it is, a supplement to offset a shortage, its no better than any other form of protein.

bellerophon
    Free Member

sadexpunk +1, I’d struggle to eat through food the reccomended intake for my weight

aside from that I find a post workout protein shake made with milk (good source of BCAAs) a great aid for recovery

Another vote here for myprotein.co.uk usually by far the cheapest.. I’ve just found this why milk is good but I’m sure there’ll be websites contradicting it 😉

mbr30
    Free Member

Eating 200g of protein per day without supplementing it is going to be hard! There is about 35g in a large chicken breast and about 10g in an egg. I’ve been doing weights for about 4 years now and I’m not particularly big, mainly because I’ve not eaten the required amount of protein per day. I find lifting weights addictive and therapeutic personally.

bellerophon
    Free Member

I find lifting weights addictive and therapeutic personally.

Yep me too.

Bazz

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk

unflavoured whey protein concentrate and then use a bit of Nesquick.

adrianmurray
    Free Member

@sadexpunk: don’t you mean 1g to 1.5g of proten per kg of bodyweight rather than lb of bodyweight?

Postworkout you want something more like the Hurricane XS as recommended above because it has not just protein but also simple carohydrates in it to replace the glycogen/muscle energy you’ve just expended in the gym and the carbs also help transport the protein to the muscles. Some bio-chemistry thing.

Post workout, I mix up my own shake from ingredients acquired from My Protein: 1 scoop Impact Whey Isolate, 2 scoops Vitargo Pure (simple carbohydrate), 5g Essential Aminos, 5g BCAA’s, 5g Glutamine, 5g Creatine Monohydrate.

sadexpunk

aye, sorry adrian i must have got me lbs and kgs mixed up 🙂 i know i aim for around 160-200g per day.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘WHEY Powder?’ is closed to new replies.