wheres this cairn(?)

Home Forum Chat Forum wheres this cairn(?)

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 236 total)
  • wheres this cairn(?)
  • Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

that was quick, thank you πŸ™‚

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

next batch…… some of the other pics imply hes been near the old dungeon ghyll hotel and derwentwater if that helps identify these?

thanks πŸ™‚

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

by some remarkable detective work i think no4 is the grasmere gingerbread shop πŸ˜€

but i actually did do a bit of detective work and found the pic for no5 on a chinese website. its st oswalds church grasmere where wordsworth is buried.

any knowledge of the others?

ta

EDIT: ive found that the money tree is at a gate at the top of aira force national trust car park, and the waterfall is aira force waterfall from the lower viewing platform πŸ™‚

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

got those last ones from the walk on this web page, so would that give any clues as to the last couple of pics i cant get, the copper stove and long log with coins? just wondered if hed have done the same walk. i saw that wordsworths dove cottage may be near so didnt know if the stove would be in there, but google images doesnt show it anywhere.

any ideas peeps?

thanks

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

answered the ones i could hoping that hed be dazzled by my answers and not realise im missing two. wrong, hes badgering me for the two i ‘forgot’ :-/

any idea please gents? heres hoping……

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

next please πŸ™‚

looks like its the borrowdale area…..

thanks πŸ™‚

Nah, that little hump/nipple on the middle left looks like Pike o’ Stickle to me. Dunno which hill he’s up though; Rossett Pike maybe?

Actually, could be Borrowdale area….

parkedtiger

Yep, looks like the top of Stake Pass.

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

hes put “dont be fooled” by picture 1, and the whole photo set is titled ‘borrowdale sept 2017’, so not sure whether that implies its not borrowdale or whether its a red herring…..

wotcha thinking chaps, stake pass or pike o stickle?

thanks

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

It’s not Pike o Stickle – that can be seen in the distance. Top of Stake or Rossett Pike IMO.

Premier Icon paul4stones
    Subscriber

Glaramara. Fits with Borrowdale too.

pennine

Rossett Pike

Premier Icon paul4stones
    Subscriber

See here. http://josweeney.net/glaramara-via-combe-gill/

I think Rossett pike is too far round to have the langdales separated like that. Scroll down that page above and there’s an image almost exactly the same.

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

looks good to me mate, ill hit him with that, see how we go πŸ™‚

thanks

whitestone

My guess would be somewhere along the Glaramara ridge, not sure if it’s Glaramara itself – that’s one of the few Lakeland tops I’ve not been on – as there’s a lot of small summits along there.

Looked at the shot mentioned on the link and I think the shot in question is from slightly further south along the ridge from the summit as Martcrag Moor (the vague hump in front of Pike o’ Stickle) has an ever so slightly different background, you can see further along Langdale. Also the two hills on the skyline immediately left of the top stone on the cairn are aligned whereas in the shot taken from the summit the nearer hill is to the left.

oldbloke

Don’t know that the Langdale Pikes would appear that separate from Glaramara. I wonder if it is possibly more like Rosthwaite Fell.

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

well, i answered him with glaramara and it seems right, but….. hes asked which one??

i dont really know what he means by that so is glaramara a range or summats? and if so which ‘one’ might it be?

thanks chaps πŸ™‚

oldbloke

Glaramara is a peak, but often done as a circuit of a couple of ridges. Given you mate usually tries to be obscure, it could be Bessyboot – still think it is north of Glaramara itself.

whitestone

The Glaramara ridge has lots of little “tors” and bumps, so could be any of them. My current thought is that it’s this point or possibly spot height 721 a bit to the south.

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

ive answered with that link whitestone, and its probably right as he said “ok what about this one then” and linking to that second pic again ^^^. this one…..

must admit i thought they were the same place, but obviously not πŸ˜€

any ideas? would it be the next point along or summats?

thank you kindly

Premier Icon paul4stones
    Subscriber

Allen crags then?

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

booooo, not allen crags πŸ™

any other suggestions?

Premier Icon paul4stones
    Subscriber

Ha, I think he was lost in the mist πŸ™‚

If not Allen Crags then it must be the other bit that Whitestone mentioned above. I’d say it was taken marginally further south than the first one and slightly higher. Hard to say in the mist though. I think it all counts as Glaramara πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

you mean point 721?

Premier Icon paul4stones
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

from an album hes called ‘great langdale’.

i thank you, you clever people πŸ™‚

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

He needs to go somewhere different in the Lakes.

Elterwater and probably Elterwater Quarry.
    High Close nr Elterwater ish

Last one: Cumbria Way near Oak Howe

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

so in order is it…..

1. elterwater quarry
    2. high close nr elterwaterish
    3. elterwater
    4. cumbria way nr oak howe?

thanks a lot

Premier Icon lowey
    Subscriber

1. Honestly could be any of the quarries around elterwater.
    2. Just after the cattle grid on the road into Langdale Here.
    3. Langdales from the bench on Elterwater Here
    4. Pikes from Baysbrown Bridge Here

Premier Icon paul4stones
    Subscriber

What was the answer to the last one? Was it point 721

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

thanks chaps.

paul, he says it was the point on the link ^^^ just above at 783.

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

next……

hes actually titled this set of pictures as from being ‘down south’, and includes pics of basingstoke canal, ‘kingfisher on the quay’ which a quick google shows is in mythchett, camberley, plus pics with beefeaters etc so a trip down the big smoke it looks like.

couple of pretty impossible ones but you never know……

this one, ok its just pitch black but he accompanied it by saying that he “blagged” my way in with my flask, (They wanted to confiscate it ). I was given permission to take 1 photo only, (Nobody else was). The bloody flash wouldn’t work…..”

an educated guess would be the crown jewels or summats you reckon? where else might he be banned from taking a hipflask in and only taking one pic?

kudos points for anyone who gets those last two…..

Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Subscriber

1 Windsor castle
    2 is Farnborough shopping centre ?

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

lovely work gents, any ideas for t’others?

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

Dark one will be somewhere in Windsor Castle as well, the text talks about restoration work completed in November 1997 following the fire five years earlier – st george’s chapel or the state rooms, where photography is not normally allowed.

The other one is probably the gents there. The order of uploads on his photo sharing page will tell you.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

I’m not sure if you noticed, but there’s more detail in the dark photo than immediately obvious – I just had a quick play with the contrast, I’m sure others could do better

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

bluddy hell you guys are amazing!! id never have known! i even thought of not posting it and just saying ‘a black picture’ plus his message. good job i didnt πŸ™‚

cant quite read that, but i assume youre both seeing the same thing, i can just make out a plaque to do with the 50th anniversary of the queens wedding. i cant make out anything do do with restoration work, is that right at the top where its a bit darker?

the toilet one…… its sandwiched between a pic of him stood with a beefeater (is that the castle or the tower?) and then a shop called ‘jersey pearl’ in windsor. windsor castle bogs do we think?

and good work with the bull!

thanks again, excellent work!

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

The plaque is in the Lantern Lobby of Windsor Castle. It’s where the fire started.

ElShalimo

Tell him he’s deviating from the “cairn” part of the deal and that he needs to go somewhere hilly that isn’t blummin’ 5 miles from Langdale
    πŸ˜‰

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 236 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.