• This topic has 317 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Esme.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 318 total)
  • wheres this cairn(?)
  • sadexpunk

stabiliser just heard from him, you are indeed correct (not that it was in doubt) 🙂

the photos are getting increasingly off-piste, where’s the cairn?

dont know the lakes at all so never have any idea how obscure these places are (or indeed whether theres any cairns nearby), but im sure keeping it all on this thread is better than a new one each time doncha think? 😉

ElShalimo

I’m just bitter ‘cos the last lot had me stumped
    Keep ’em coming
    😀

sadexpunk

Keep ’em coming

ok then…..

boxelder

He’s been to ‘Chester’s’ Cafe at Skelwith Bridge (here) and then taken a walk along the river towards Elterwater (it’s a cycle path). The memorial stones must be in the quarries around Yew Crags, SW of Elterwater village (here).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I spent a lot of my childhood weekends playing in that quarry (we had a house in chapel stile).

sadexpunk

great work, thanks 🙂

boxelder

Is he getting old/lazy? His walks are getting less adventurous.

ElShalimo

Could be a “walking off a bad head” walk?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Damn too slow!!

sadexpunk

is this near great langdale campsite maybe?

thanks

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

No, that’s jack’s rake in the background on Pavey ark, so maybe somewhere nr slate mines at chapel Stile (again????) or certainly further down the valley nr chapel stile.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

click on satellite view, I think maybe looking across this field from the wall on the right, just on the edge of chapel stile. as well as the slag heap you can also see shadow of at least one telegraph pole.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.4393707,-3.0559543,103m/data=!3m1!1e3

otherwise, somewhere in that vicinity

footflaps

How about an ex-cairn…

Poor thing has seen better days…

Greybeard
    Free Member

Work out separately from B.A.Nana but the same answer, I think it’s from the field you can see here

Sanny
    Free Member

Hmmm Is that up Whiteless Pike way? 😀

footflaps

Hmmm Is that up Whiteless Pike way?

Close…

sadexpunk

as ever he was mightily impressed 🙂

thanks

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Crag Hill 🙂

sadexpunk

pah! hes upped the ante again. says location should be too easy so he wants the room number again!

unbelievably you sorted me out before which astonished him, so im hoping you may be able to come up trumps again 😀

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Easy, bunkhouse barn at bortherswater campsite

edit too close to road so it’s in the pub brotherswater inn at the campsite (sykeside I think it’s called)

sadexpunk

thanks, thats a start. now er…… what number room? 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

top window

sadexpunk

aye, ive been googling pics and seen a pic almost the same as my mates, so ive sent an email request to them asking which room number it is. if i have no joy ill ask about that top window, itd be nice to give him a number to mess with his head 😉
    if i have to ring to ask about that room, what does it overlook? top room looking up at what?

thanks a lot mate

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

stoney cove and middle dodd, or looking up towards kirkstone pass

sadexpunk

is that the bunkhouse in front of the window?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

No bunkhouse is down to the left of the pic on the campsite (probably not even in that pic). That’s maybe more B&B accomm or staff accomm.

Edit yeah bunkhouse is way out of pic down a hill

sadexpunk

thanks mate. just rang em and tried describing it and theyve told me they think its room 5. ill let you know if thats right.

thanks a lot 🙂

sadexpunk

yep, was room 5. hes now convinced i can do voodoo 🙂

next one….

and

for some context, ill include some of his other pics from same weekend so you can see what area hes been in. dont need to guess these, only the top two thanks 🙂

theres no saying that room 9 was where he actually stayed, dont know where it is or how many rooms it has.

thanks

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

That’s the bunkhouse at Sykeside Campsite / Brotherswater Inn 😀

This is the Building from the other side (shop, shower block, drying room), your mate’s van would be parked behind

sadexpunk

great stuff thanks. what about the top pic, davidtaylforth looks like hes got it, where is it?

good work chaps 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

davidTs is from sour howes

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s Windermere lake BTW!

sadexpunk

next!

bob_summers

Langdale pikes from tarn hows (haven’t been up there for 20years so could be mistaken)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Its Blea Tarn

bob_summers

Had my suspicions I was wrong. Ironically I was scanning some old of my old slides a while back and I’ve got an almost identical photo, couldn’t remember where I took it.

sadexpunk

thanks as ever chaps, spot on.

Esme
    Free Member

But where’s the hip flask?

martinhutch

He’s slipping. That was way too easy! It’s on the opening credits to Countryfile…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 318 total)

The topic ‘wheres this cairn(?)’ is closed to new replies.