Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Where’s this bolt come from?
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

Working on my bike yesterday as I took it off the stand I heard a little noise as a small bolt fell onto the floor. It’s a T10 torx bolt, approx 8mm long. Can I find where it came from? Can I flip. Bike is an Evil Calling, Manitou Mattoc 3 forks, Sram 1X / X0 11 speed gears, hope X2/E4 brakes , One up dropper.
    It looks a lot like a reservoir cap bolt but they are all present and correct, or a bolt from the Mattoc mudguard but they are all there. So – what other parts take short a T10 torx bolt? I swear someone has just put it somewhere to fall out to wind me up.

DT78
    Free Member

brake pads?

I’d check the calipers and dropper remote after that….not sure…

martinhutch

Holding in a gear/brake cable frame entry grommet thingy? Looking a picture of the calling, is there one of those expanding wedge things where it enters the swingarm to stop movement?

Probably a bit big, but rebound adjuster on the forks, or damper top cap?

somafunk

Throw it in the bin, 5 mins later find out where it came from, spend the next 4 hours with the contents of the bin laid out on your driveway as you hunt for the bolt

Stevet1
    Free Member

Holding in a gear/brake cable frame entry grommet thingy?
    Good guess but nope – they are all molded in with rubber grommets not bolted in.
    Checked the rebound adjuster and not that.

martinhutch

Long-shotting it now. The little bolt that holds the derailleur-hanger onto the frame?

redthunder
    Free Member

forget

thelawman

Did it sneak out from under the fridge/bench, jump up in the air and just pretend to have fallen off the bike?

Onzadog
    Free Member

There’s a very similar bolt 9n the Hope lever. It holds the dust seal in place over the master cylinder.

The difference is that it’s a security torx with a small pin in the middle of the head.

I also had similar bolts holding a head badge on.

temudgin

Is it a bolt from the blue?

wheelsonfire1

Ask it if it’s called Bernie. If it responds then it’s from the seventies?

molgrips
    Free Member

Fork rebound knob?

rhayter

Cable securing bolt from your dropper post lever?

I love this thread.

tjagain

Its one you couldn’t find last time you tinkered. It got stuck on the bike , you couldn’t find it so replaced it and now it has shown itself to confuse you

hardtailonly

Underside of the saddle?

Repair stand itself?

Or, it was on the repair stand, left over from a previous bike/job, and fell to the floor when you removed this bike?

Picture might be useful, against eg a 10p piece for size reference … I’m struggling to visualise an 8mm T10 torn bolt …

Stevet1
    Free Member

The little bolt that holds the derailleur-hanger onto the frame?
    Nope

Is it a bolt from the blue?
    Like it

Fork rebound knob
    Nope. And don’t call me a knob.

Cable securing bolt from your dropper post lever?
    Nope.

Its one you couldn’t find last time you tinkered. It got stuck on the bike , you couldn’t find it so replaced it and now it has shown itself to confuse you
    I just dunno, I can’t find a similar bolt anywhere on the bike, I’ve gone over it with a torch today again. This thing is driving me crazy, perfect way to wind someone up I’d say. WHERE DID YOU COME FROM YOU SHINY LITTLE BASTARD

tomhoward

Pedal pin?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Picture might be useful

Shiny little bolt

wishiwascalledsteve

Hope brakes? Some models use these bolt to secure the lever piston or to secure the lever pivot

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Are you sure it is what fell? You’re not missing a bloody obvious m10 bolt that should be holding a pivot somewhere but found that on the floor are you?*

Bolt that holds the lever of a “maxle”? Shifter cover? The one that stops the receiver nut for the axle falling out of the frame (mine is a v1 following and uses a grub but about the same size)

*I have never done this. No, not at all.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Those button heads are often used to hold brake discs on but it looks a bit small.what is the thread size?

duncancallum

Looks rotor ish?

jonwe
    Free Member

Another vote for brake rotor bolt. Love the photo.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Brake hose clamp-thingy on the fork leg?

dyna-ti

Systematic check to every bolt on every component throughout the entire bike.

I think there should be a prize for guessing correctly.

a11y

Are you absolutely sure not had any ‘mates’ over, who’ve succeeded in ripping the piss by dropping a random bolt?

big_scot_nanny

I had this recently, turned out it was from the work stand itself!

tomhoward

Brake hose clamp-thingy on the fork leg?

Ooh, good call!

Rotor bolts tend to be T25

Stevet1
    Free Member

wishiwascalledsteve
    Hope brakes? Some models use these bolt to secure the lever piston or to secure the lever pivot

Winner winner! it was on the hope master cylinder, the bolt that holds the lever pivot as suggested!
    Thanks all!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.