Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Where's the Vuelta thread gone?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Blimey at the first checkpoint times. If they all maintain the same pace for the reminder of the stage that would set it up very nicely.

Edit… Gap’s getting bigger, though still don’t think it’s going to be big enough given the stages still to come.

Spin
    Free Member

Edit… Gap’s getting bigger, though still don’t think it’s going to be big enough given the stages still to come.

You think?

mrblobby
    Free Member

LOOK AT THE TIME!!!

Damn good performance. If he can get a couple of minutes on Aru on GC then maybe. Majka and Purito are out of it. Aru still looks to be going well though.

Edit.. hmm didn’t Aru do well. Only 3 seconds for Dumoulin over Aru on GC.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Spin
    Free Member

3 seconds in it so all to play for.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well no more summit finishes but still some big climbing stages to come and Astana still have a very strong team who’ll be going full gas to crack Dumoulin. He’ll do well to hold on to that 3 seconds.

corroded
    Free Member

I’d like to see Giant-Alpecin piling in to support Dumoulin, all or nothing. Up until now they’ve had Degenkolb’s interests to consider but now, whether or not they’re climbers, they need to get in there and help him! Fact is, Dumoulin has done more to inspire me about road racing than anyone over the last few years. Let’s not have Astana win it…

Tom-B
    Free Member

Mtbfix can you provid us some details on the doping sanctions of Purito and Aru please?! Obviously that’s a baited question as neither have ever tested positive. J-Rod is one of my favourite riders….of I had to bet on a Spanish rider being clean, it’d be him.

nickdavies

Mtbfix can you provid us some details on the doping sanctions of Purito and Aru please?! Obviously that’s a baited question as neither have ever tested positive. J-Rod is one of my favourite riders….of I had to bet on a Spanish rider being clean, it’d be him.

No sanctions were mentioned, just associations. Both teams not exactly squeaky clean, are they.. I like Aru some of his efforts are cracking to watch but it’s hard to get behind him when he’s in Astana colours.

Tom-B
    Free Member

and J-Rod? He’s been a part of the sport for a long time…..excels as a climber, struggles hugelyin TT’s and thus has never won a GT…..hardly too suspicious is it? Or shall we just label him a doper too as he’s Spanish?

nickdavies

Nothing to do with him being Spanish nor is there any accusation of either doping, but when you ride for a team that is only still in the world tour by the skin of their teeth after doping issues nearly cost them their licence a couple of years ago then you can see why some would be less inclined to support him.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Kris Boeckmans still in his induced coma … 🙁

Tom-B
    Free Member

What are J-Rods doping associations then? I get why people wouldn’t like Aru given that he’s riding for Astana…..but J-Rod? Sure Katusha have had some problems, but then most teams have unfortunately. Nothing in Puritos performances suggest that he isn’t one of the more likely riders to be successful and clean. I know that Katusha have had 2 positives this year, but Paolini got done for snorting coke…..its hardly indicative of team wide doping imo.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think Dumoulin is my new man crush.

I’m not into slinging doping accusations around, but I’m not exactly rooting for Aru either. I do have a soft spot for Purito though, based on his riding.

DaRC_L

What are J-Rods doping associations then?

Operation Puerto
    Then Manolo Saiz and Purito
    There were rumours (I thought I’d read at the time) that Purito’s name was on one of the blood bags; I remember ‘cos I was thinking ‘oh the irony’.
    Then there’s the team’s he’s ridden for including his current one
    The key being a member of Once at a time when doping was institutionalised…

Edit – having said all this I do still have a soft spot for his riding style

DaRC_L

Just spotted this

Paolini got done for snorting coke

ahh have you heard of Pot Belge

mudshark
    Free Member

If Aru and Purito weren’t in my fantasy team I’d be gunning for Dumoulin – fantastic riding so far.

scaredypants

hello !

For once* I’ve abandoned hope of winning a fantasy league, so more power to uncle Tom. Only really 1 day to hold out.

* as ever

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice to see Tom finally getting some help from his team 😉 Not much time gained but probably a good psychological blow.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Kris Boeckmans still in his induced coma

Not any more

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/34219676

corroded
    Free Member

I didn’t think it was possible to like Tom Dumoulin more. But it is. Great ride.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Got to love Sean Kelly. Apparently the race isn’t over for Fabian Aru 🙂

Ro5ey
    Free Member

What a fantastic race

Love Dumoulin … “JA” !!

Like Purito … seems like a nice little fella

Don’t mind Aru … who must be somewhat upset that the big dutchman has come from nowhere (in GC terms)

Oh and great win by the young frenchman today

corroded
    Free Member

I can’t get past Aru looking like Ed Miliband. I’m sure he’s nice bloke but I hope he has the same winning ways.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Where as Dumoulin looks a bit like this

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

The climbers must be kicking themselves for half arseing their way through the first week, nothing but arrogance I reckon. Sucks to be them! Valverde smashing it today! Hopefully tomorrow will light up too.

corroded
    Free Member

S’true about Desperate Dan. Movistar are clearly going to go apeshit on Saturday but it seems that Dumoulin is quite shrewd tactically and will let other teams do the chasing. I just love that his last best hope on the vertiginous stages is a Paris-Roubaix-winning, moustachioed sprinter.

butcher

Looks like there’s a chance Aru could be penalised for being given a push (or slingshot) from a team mate. I really hope not. It’s one thing being teleported to the top of a climb via your team car, but assistance from your team mates is surely what they’re there for? And I’m looking forward to a nail biting stage tomorrow!

corroded
    Free Member

Hope so – slingshots are banned in road racing. And Astana are hardly known for abiding by the rules.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Heard it’ll be reviewed again this morning. Be surprised if they just dismiss it given the evidence, the circumstances, and the clarity of the rules. Hope it’s not too severe though given the tiny advantage he’d have gotten.

Should be a good day of racing today provided Aru is still in touch. Increasingly difficult to see how Astana can dislodge Dumoulin though on today’s relatively steady climbs. Good to see coverage starting early too as it should be a crazy start to get into the break.

mtbfix

Apparent, however mild, cheating overlooked. Remarkable turnaround for a rider on a team with notable history of iffy doping results. Think I’ll spare two hours of my life and give up on watching the rest.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well Dumoulin finally ran out of gas. Bit of a shame but was always a big ask.

I’d like to say chapeau to Aru and Astana but it’s hard to be pleased about success coming Vino’s way.

corroded
    Free Member

Gutted about Dumoulin. Thought he put in an inspiring performance, being a big bloke who could hold his own on the hills and wasn’t shy about attacking. I think he was let down by his team today, who should have managed to get a couple of riders into the break.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Heartbreaking! Let’s not forget Dumoulin road that whole Vuelta pretty much all on his own, bloody brilliant performance!! Seems like a nice guy too, hopefully we’ll see a better team built around him next year although I’m not sure Giant actually have many riders that could support him, it’s mainly a team of big Rouleurs ain’t it apart from that young French boy? Really shitty tactics by Giant today.

So, which has been the best Grand Tour of the year then??

I found this one a bit love/hate to be honest. The stages were kinda boring with everything happening on the last climb (which wasn’t actually that bad for highlights I suppose) on most stages but I found myself finding some riders I really wanted to win in Chaves and Dumoulin. Thrilling finale though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The Giro.

Always is.

butcher

If anything, Dumoulin has made his presence known. I suspect he might be re-negotiating his contract! Disappointing for sure, but still a massive success for that man.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

The Giro certainly had the best route and easily the best racing, sometimes (for me) that’s overshadowed by actually having someone to cheer for though, once Porte lost it the race kinda lost it for me. Still some great racing though. The Tour always always ends up being so formulaic in comparison (again IMO)

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Dumoulin has made his presence known. I suspect he might be re-negotiating his contract! Disappointing for sure, but still a massive success for that man.

Certainly! Not sure when his contract is up though?

It was interesting to see that Chaves was renegotiating while the Vuelta was on, with two stage wins and a red jersey I bet Orica wished they’d finished negotiations at The Tour!!

tenfoot

Not a big fan of Astana, so a real shame Dumoulin dropped off.

colournoise

Mixed feelings. Aru was great today (although Giant pretty much handed things to him on a plate), but Astana…

Didn’t see the Giro, but the Vuelta has urinated all over the TdF for me in terms of entertainment. Valverde racing yesterday for shits and giggles with a grin on his face was awesome.

mtbfix

Valverde racing yesterday for shits and giggles with a grin on his face was awesome.

It’s never awesome to watch an unrepentant ex doper racing. Valverde has been really lively all through the race but anything he does is tarnished in my eyes.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Where's the Vuelta thread gone?’ is closed to new replies.