Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Where's the snow then Met Office?
  • jam-bo

it was -2degC on dartmoor this morning.

irc

The Met Office stopped publishing it’s 3 month forecasts in 2010 because they weren’t accurate enough.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2010/forecasts-change

Although we can identify general patterns of weather, the science does not exist to allow an exact forecast beyond five days, or to absolutely promise a certain type of weather. As a result, ‘seasonal forecasts’ cannot be as precise as our short-term forecasts.

They still supply 3 month forecasts to govt though. For example the Met Office three-monthly outlook at the end of March 2012 stated:

The forecast for average UK rainfall slightly favours drier than average conditions for April-May-June, and slightly favours April being the driest of the three months.

April was then the wettest since records began.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21967190

john_drummer
    Free Member

It was some discredited meteorologist that the Express were happy to quote for a scaremongering headline

but they do that every year, they will get it right eventually 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Think there has been snow in Scotland on and off since September, and a friend in Buxton has managed one cross country skiing session so far.

I’m more concerned by the headline on the Daily Star yesterday that said that the Phillippines typhoon was coming to “batter Britain”

matt_outandabout

Think there has been snow in Scotland on and off since September

Normal service then.

Ben Gullipen by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Kryton57

More reports this morning. Apparently 4ft of snow, significant minus temps and snowdrifts being common will be the norm from jan to March. “Worst” winter ever so they say.

Already they are panicking about grit and has fuel supplies. Apparantly.

bails

Reports from who? The Express again?

Kryton57

Well, they are quoting the Met office, the LGA
    and heathrow who (again, apparently) are all planning for alternative / emergency efforts

BadlyWiredDog

Isn’t this all part of the conspiracy to force us to buy ‘winter tyres’ which STWers have proved conclusively are of no benefit whatsoever? I don’t think it’s beyond the realm of possibility that the weather forecasters and corrupt journalists are in the pay of the BIG RUBBER CORPORATIONS who effectively control the world.

I’m the last person to embrace conspiracy theories – the thing about the Lizards is well proven and there’s an excellent fly on the wall TV documentary proving it pretty conclusively, V it’s called – but isn’t it just a little convenient that there are constant forecasts of extreme conditions?

No smoke without fire.

Kryton57

I’ve found the prediction that it’s being hot, wet then cold in quarterly cycles becoming more accurate.

I watched Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs the other day and am wondering if that Indian Rocket launch has something to so with a weather based conspiracy. It’s certainly suspicious that since that other satellite crashed to earth earlier in the week it’s suddenly frosty everywhere.

BadlyWiredDog

Isn’t that a bit far-fetched? I think you need to sink your teeth into reality and clamp down hard. Cloudy With A Chance of Meatball is FICTION, doh…

molgrips
    Free Member

I watched Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs the other day

An absolutely brilliant film 🙂

Andy-W
    Free Member

Last weekend I was on Bleaklow in the Peak District as snow was falling and Sunday was spent riding and a bit of pushing in the snow on a sunny Snowdon

Happy Days

andy8442
    Free Member
    martinhutch

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatball is FICTION, doh…

Nooooo!

Dales_rider
    Free Member

andy8442 – Member

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/442534/Snowfall-will-cause-havoc-for-major-airports-this-winter

Well Daily Express, we will be watching!
    A real news worthy article that, this was particularly useful:-
    Rain in Cornwall where blocked drains caused flooding on the Helston to Porthleven road.
    Without that essential piece of information my day would have been b0110x3d

athgray
    Free Member

I am hoping for a mild winter. Normally love the mountains at this time of year, but currently travelling from the Borders to Wick every week for work.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I was in the shops earlier & today’s Express had an equally alarmist snow headline. up to 6 inches of snow by Thursday! allegedly.

checked the BBC weather page, there may be a “light snow shower” on Tuesday morning (West Yorkshire) but that’s as far ahead as they’re prepared to say. Given that they get this info from the Met Office, I’m more inclined to believe this than the annual chicken lickin panic from the Express.

mightymule
    Free Member

I was in the shops earlier & today’s Express had an equally alarmist snow headline. up to 6 inches of snow by Thursday! allegedly.

*Drives to supermarket. Buys every loaf of bread on the shelves*

Aristotle
    Free Member

The Daily Express.

I’m frequently bemused by their headlines that I see on display.

Who on Earth actually buys/reads it?!?!

Mackem

..some snow here…

woody21
    Free Member

The BBC now reckon the snow will arrive on the 20th

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2656617

The Norwegians now reckon there will be rain

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Bakewell~2656617/long.html

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Where's the snow then Met Office?’ is closed to new replies.