Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Where’s the scam?
  • Jakester
    Free Member

Sold something on eBay on Sunday. Buyer coming to collect today.

All good, then buyer has just said ‘his driver’ is coming to collect. Alarm bells.

However, he’s said he will have cash with him.

Provided they hand over the cash and scan to confirm collection, where’s the scam?

I suppose the cash could be counterfeit, but there’s not much I can do to guard against that.

kerley
    Free Member

As long as the “driver” can do the scanning thing then should be okay as it is cash they can hardly claim anything back via eBay can they?

rossburton
    Free Member

As long as you do the scan code thing, you’re good.

franksinatra

You are in control of payment method. If you are not happy just say you won’t accept cash, insist on PayPal.

If you take cash eBay won’t protect you.

The biggest risk is them hitting you and walking off with the goods.

I wouldn’t accept cash.

matt_outandabout

High value item at the address you just gave out?

Drac

Cash protects the seller, PayPal protects the buyer. Make sure you have the cash before handing over.

Jakester
    Free Member

I wouldn’t accept cash.

More than happy to accept cash.

High value item at the address you just gave out

Well, it’s a drum kit. Slightly confused still. If they’re legit then they’ve come a long way for it and it’s a lot of work for a crap payoff!

pdw
    Free Member

drum kit

Buyer’s vehicle not large enough?

Jakester
    Free Member

Well, he’s said he’s given the collection code to his ‘driver’, so we’ll see. I’ve moved it from my studio to the garage though, just in case..😬

Jakester
    Free Member

Well, colour me a sceptical sod. All handed over fine, cash to me, drums to him, code scanned confirming collection – job jobbed.

And I’m not dead.
    😀

twinw4ll
    Free Member

As long as they hit you in time, boom tish.

bruneep

All handed over fine, cash to me

Early days yet, cash coated in novichok.

MartynS

check you’ve not been paid in £11 notes…!

maccruiskeen

<insert joke about drummers,  drum machines, and only having to punch the information in once here>

hotstuff
    Free Member

I’ve done this a few times when buying machinery. Next door neighbour does removals, I wait until I know where he’s going then buy something I can make a pound on near there. He picks it up for me, makes a few quid and I get it delivered to my door. I usually use PayPal though, saves him bothering with cash.

Jakester
    Free Member

check you’ve not been paid in £11 notes…!

Damn, I knew there was something!

Early days yet, cash coated in novichok.

Killer beats?

<insert joke about drummers, drum machines, and only having to punch the information in once here>

<Drools out of both sides of mouth> (possibly the Novichok)

wordnumb
    Free Member

A surprising proportion of drummers are not able to drive, not all of them have tour managers / roadies. “Driver” might well be Dad.

What’s got three legs and a **** on top? A drum stool.

Jakester
    Free Member

“Driver” might well be Dad.

Nope. Apparently this guy buys a lot of stuff to send to China, and the chap was actually his van driver. Very odd!

What’s got three legs and a **** on top? A drum stool.

My drum stool has four legs – nyah nyah!

maccruiskeen

And I’m not dead.
    😀

Its not exactly in ‘bizarre gardening accident’ territory

Drac

Banging!

dyna-ti

As long as they hit you in time, boom tish.

Did hear of a drummer sacked because of his poor timing. He decided to end it all and jumped behind a train.

Pyro

Interesting that most of the jokes about drummers are one-liners. I assume that’s so bass players can understand them?

Superficial
    Free Member

It seems there’s a bit of an industry of people with works vans picking stuff up from eBay / Facebook Marketplace in the evenings. Company fuel card + a bit of evening time for cash-in-hand deliveries?

I’ve sold a couple of low-priced large items recently (garden furniture) and was surprised that on both occasions, the buyer sent a van driver round – which I presume cost more than what I was selling (which admittedly was priced to move).

kerley
    Free Member

Interesting that most of the jokes about drummers are one-liners. I assume that’s so bass players can understand them?

I don’t get it?

kayak23

Glad you snared the sale and it had positive hi-hatributes and you didn’t end up regretting it tom-tomorrow.
    You could say that it was cymbalic that you were not taken for a ride, and might form the bass-is of future transactions.

Jakester
    Free Member

Glad you snared the sale and it had positive hi-hatributes and you didn’t end up regretting it tom-tomorrow.
    You could say that it was cymbalic that you were not taken for a ride, and might form the bass-is of future transactions.

ads678

What do you call a bloke who hangs around with musicians…..

A Bass player!!

(ads678 a (crap) drummer)

Jakester
    Free Member

As someone who plays both bass and drums, I resemble that remark!

Jakester
    Free Member

And, just to complete the saga – buyer has emailed to say he’s delighted, left positive feedback too (a rarity in this day and age), and I’ve just checked with eBay and they’re not charging any FVF on it either!

Not sure why not – could be because it was a relist of an item on a £1FVF promotion with a non-paying bidder, but even then it should attract a £1 FVF, but I have it in writing from them, so that’s a very hefty saving. Result!

maccruiskeen

taken for a ride

paradiddled

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Where’s the scam?’ is closed to new replies.